Kit Prices

But its your choice to breed them so if you spend some coin its down to you again , even if your just needing one or two kits it must be far better getting them off somebody than breeding a litter that could number a dozen , and as for saying your cleaning them out every other day you should be doing that anyway . I also went in with my eyes wide open and started off with three freezers full of meat but a dozen ferrets soon empty these and im fortunate two night's lamping put more than a hundred rabbits back in them for just my time .

But Foxtails i would be asking myself why am i breeding kits when my biggest bag was four rabbits do you need that many replacements ?.

Being honest if i never breed another litter again i dont think it would worry me its a dam sight easier getting two kits in a year from somebody else

• Like 3

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just seen on gumtree an add...   "ferret kits... albinos-10pound.....black eyed whites-30pound...polecat-20pound...   cmon' Ffs...   gave away 2 castrated hobs to a neighbour...worth over 120qui

Ive never paid for a ferret, And if i bred a litter for own use, the surplus Kits would be free.

Anyone charging £30 for a kit is breeding for the wrong reasons

my jill came into season, and new i needed a hob or two for this coming season instead of buying in, i know what im getting when i breed mine, i think its a lucky dip buying in,(just my opinion) iv got more perm this season,and will be doing alot more rabbiting, so yep need more ferts, i cant understand where people are coming from either saying they dont know why people breed ferrets to sell for a tena to end up loaded, no one breeding ferrets is going to end up loaded, i no myself and most other people are not diluded by that, all im saying is , when it comes to re-homing my ferrets to mates theyr free to anyone else theyr a tena, this day and age its not alot to ask!

I've just sold 9 with in two days at 5 each just for food costs and next litter will be ten as they eating a fortune and they get fresh rabbit like said before the price is just to cover food atb mark

why do you keep a hob and the money from the young get it snipped or what ever its called and it will save you having young
Bred the two Jill's to keep the blood line, i will never breed these two again + the wife wants him lol

I've got around 20 kits here and to be honest it ain't gonna cost me a penny to feed them...I knew I was going to line my two jills this spring...so planned in advance by freezing extra rabbits, hares, pheasants, pigeons, fish,and associated livers, kidneys, hearts etc...and if you start factoring in your time as a justification in charging for them, well that's just silly...I've enough put away enough grub to rear them to 8 weeks more than comfortably... :thumbs:

Most of mine spoken for...going to good lads too...get 'em reared right and get 'em away...gifted...job done... :thumbs:

Each to their own though... :thumbs:

Got 3 or 4 left Scottish Borders if anyone wants them... :laugh:

glad someone had a good season, my biggest bag was 4 last season, but its not really the numbers i go for, not everyone has the permission with big numbers or even room to keep a spare freezer to keep the spare in for the spring/summer when feeding kits, people are in different situations,

Seriously mate...it is each to their own...I'm just stating the way I do things here... :thumbs:

Tell you what though, if throughout the season I can't put enough surplus flesh away to feed a couple of litters of ferret kits I'll hit this game on the head and take up origami... :laugh:

if you want to breed your own line whats wrong with taking what you need and knocking the rest on the head , melton market will be full of kits for sale at this time of the year, most will go to unsuitable owners and will be swopped or abandoned within days, its not very nice to do ,but if you have a surplus and cannot get them a berth with someone who is known or vouched for you should knock them on the head, better for the litter and better for the breed in general.

• Like 1

if you want to breed your own line whats wrong with taking what you need and knocking the rest on the head , melton market will be full of kits for sale at this time of the year, most will go to unsuitable owners and will be swopped or abandoned within days, its not very nice to do ,but if you have a surplus and cannot get them a berth with someone who is known or vouched for you should knock them on the head, better for the litter and better for the breed in general.

I do hope you are making light of the situation and are not serious about 'knocking on the head'. They deserve a chance at life too.

whenever i have bred litters over the last 40 years or so they have been gifted to lads that i know and a fiver to anyone i didn't know.this year i decided not to breed but to buy in a couple of hobs, thinking that there were plenty of lads out there that owed me a favour but how wrong i was.the cheapest ferrets i was offered was £20 and one litter were £40.the next litter i breed will be for my own use and everything else will be culled.

I do hope you are making light of the situation and are not serious about 'knocking on the head'. They deserve a chance at life too.

It's maybe not something I'd do, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.. :yes: Countless young ferrets end up in rescues each year when the novelty wears off and humanely culling a few ferrets at a young age to help prevent this is no different than culling any other animal. What about the rabbits you cull each year as a result of ferreting, by your logic surely they 'deserve a chance at life too?'

We need to look long and hard at the number of kits that are produced and if you want to thin them out or cull the hobs im for it but why stop there if it dont work its a cull as well why pass it on ?. no wonder theres so much rubbish going around

I like ferrets and I have been involved with them for many years , some of these years were before mixi was about, then there was ten times more rabbits than there are about today and a lot more people chasing them also , I those days I do not recall a glut of ferrets every year in fact you had to look hard for them and lots of people had to buy them from the EAM , why was this ?? I think it was because most lads went out with their dads or in my case granddads , these men never bred anything on a whim , in those days they were bred because they were needed and the chance that they had was that they were first out the nest box and to the front of the cage come selection day, that went for lurchers to.

I've got around 20 kits here and to be honest it ain't gonna cost me a penny to feed them...I knew I was going to line my two jills this spring...so planned in advance by freezing extra rabbits, hares, pheasants, pigeons, fish,and associated livers, kidneys, hearts etc...and if you start factoring in your time as a justification in charging for them, well that's just silly...I've enough put away enough grub to rear them to 8 weeks more than comfortably... :thumbs:

Most of mine spoken for...going to good lads too...get 'em reared right and get 'em away...gifted...job done... :thumbs:

glad someone had a good season, my biggest bag was 4 last season, but its not really the numbers i go for, not everyone has the permission with big numbers or even room to keep a spare freezer to keep the spare in for the spring/summer when feeding kits, people are in different situations,

Seriously mate...it is each to their own...I'm just stating the way I do things here... :thumbs:

Tell you what though, if throughout the season I can't put enough surplus flesh away to feed a couple of litters of ferret kits I'll hit this game on the head and take up origami... :laugh:

.... And pass your permission on to someone else? ;) haha

I like ferrets and I have been involved with them for many years , some of these years were before mixi was about, then there was ten times more rabbits than there are about today and a lot more people chasing them also , I those days I do not recall a glut of ferrets every year in fact you had to look hard for them and lots of people had to buy them from the EAM , why was this ?? I think it was because most lads went out with their dads or in my case granddads , these men never bred anything on a whim , in those days they were bred because they were needed and the chance that they had was that they were first out the nest box and to the front of the cage come selection day, that went for lurchers to.

I saw an old bit of film in those days the litter was taken to a warren tiped out the box and those that decked about were done away with : )

.... And pass your permission on to someone else? ;) haha

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i rehome ferrets and sell adults for £10 to £20

the odd time i have bred sold them for £15 silvers and £!0 for polecats if you are not willing to pay this ammount for an animal which could keep you in rabbits for the next 10 years then you wont get one

some sell the really dark polecats which do well at shows for £50

ferrets are under valued and should cost a lot more for good working stock