Hen Harrier ....!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just looked up. One of those things of fate. God alone knows what goes past here whilst my eyes are reading what you've written. Or I'm typing some shit myself.   Couple of minutes ago though, I

When I was younger, I knew a man, Mr Rance. He had just such a Collection in a f**k off great set of drawers. He was in his sixties then. This was fifty years ago.   Protection of Birds Act. 1954 p

Lurk1; What in gods name to you suggest I might try to hunt with her??? Escaped f**king slaves? FFS!   How the hell did my sighting a Hen Harrier break down to this, anyway?

When we were working in Bracknell we saw Red Kites everyday.... I never got tired of it though ( we were there 6 months)

Another one that gets me is the flocks of parakeets in Surrey, where my uncle lives in Molsey there's loads of them, funny seeing parrots flying about...

Followed a barn owl up a country lane in Cornwall one evening, my missus and kids in the van with me they all loved that one....

If you keep your eyes open in your walks it's amazing what you'll see... My lads 7 he's got a couple of bird books and a diary, which he fills in every time he sees a bird he hasn't seen before, my parents took him down the hide on Topsham mud flats a while back, the old boys took to him and let him use their telescopes... He had a load of new birds that day...

• Like 2

I'm lucky with the bird life by me, see all sorts on the feeders in the garden. Got a few sparrowhawks and a peregrine local, buzzards everywhere I've heard rumours of a few kite further down the valley though not seen one myself round here. Get wagtails(pied and yellow), seen a couple of dippers this morning, got Kingfishers down on my river but can't get a picture for love nor money :D

Was up the pond yesterday and there's a pair of grebes up there, Heron numbers round here have really exploded round here the last decade, don't see any Lapwings round here now though.

It's the egrets round here that's exploded Johnny there are at least twice as many egrets as herons now, yet 20 years ago I don't remember seeing them..

It's the egrets round here that's exploded Johnny there are at least twice as many egrets as herons now, yet 20 years ago I don't remember seeing them..

Loads of egrets here too on the inlet just down the road from me, lovely looking birds..

Loads of egrets here too on the inlet just down the road from me, lovely looking birds..

Not seen any here, you'd think I lived on the coast with the amount of seagulls here though.

Not seen any here, you'd think I lived on the coast with the amount of seagulls here though.

Can't stand the b*****d things mate.. :no: Loads of them in Tenby, some here where I live now but nowhere near as many. Quite a few great black backed gulls here though but you hardly ever see them on the deck here..

The marshes and mud flats of the Exe Estuary are full of wading birds, ducks etc all sorts migrate to it and its now a protected area, it is an area of importance for the Avocets, also ospreys ( never been fortunate enough to see one myself)... But spent a lot of time years ago sat in the hide on the back beach watching the huge flocks of wading birds. I like it that my lad has the interests too, all is not lost lol...

Have any of you avid twitchers been down to this area?

Anybody ever seen the rare Oozlum bird?? :laugh:

My favourite has to be the little wren, love seeing them or maybe the hunters friend the robin not exactly uncommon but my favourites :thumbs:

It's not always the rare birds mate, I like watching the gold and green finches on the feeders..... My lad says he wants a pet blue tit cause they're his favourite lol

• Like 1

My favourite has to be the little wren, love seeing them or maybe the hunters friend the robin not exactly uncommon but my favourites :thumbs:

It's not always the rare birds mate, I like watching the gold and green finches on the feeders..... My lad says he wants a pet blue tit cause they're his favourite lol

Blue tit's lovely little creatures use to protect two nest boxes on a golf course every year from the usual vermin, got some good photos of the chicks too :thumbs:

I also have a picture of a just-out-of-the-nest wild parrot here sat on the mrs's foot for no reason other than it wanted too :laugh:

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

Blue tit's lovely little creatures use to protect two nest boxes on a golf course every year from the usual vermin, got some good photos of the chicks too :thumbs:

I also have a picture of a just-out-of-the-nest wild parrot here sat on the mrs's foot for no reason other than it wanted too :laugh:

I watched a Greater Spotted Woodpecker raise its young from start to finish when I was 14 or so, it had nested in a tree behind my house on the river banks, I'd sit under the tree and watch the parents bring food back, then watched the fledglings leave...

Waited for a pair of long tail tits to raise they're brood ( same sort of age) then I took the nest ( lovely thing a perfect egg shaped dome with a little hole in the top)........the wren makes a nice best too... Not like pigeons they just can't be assed lol

Like a lot of us my whole time was spent in the woods and river banks,

I watched a Greater Spotted Woodpecker raise its young from start to finish when I was 14 or so, it had nested in a tree behind my house on the river banks, I'd sit under the tree and watch the parents bring food back, then watched the fledglings leave...

Waited for a pair of long tail tits to raise they're brood ( same sort of age) then I took the nest ( lovely thing a perfect egg shaped dome with a little hole in the top)........the wren makes a nice best too... Not like pigeons they just can't be assed lol

Tell you what the parrotts that live here, nature kind of forgot to tell them there is supposed to be a design to the feckin nest :laugh: they just pile sticks ontop of each other ffs no skill and the city has to employ guys to take them down each year as they are a falling hazard :laugh:

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

Did the same myself Kev, was only telling the missus about it the other day. Always a nest in a holly tree down by my Dad's house but the Jays give them hell.

• Like 1