Dry Flakey Skin

Hi all

Just looking for a bit more advice, my lurcher she's 18 month old has gotten dry flacky ichy skin

She's wormed upto date with dronatol plus and flea with frontline both were due again on the 15th of this month but I have done them Friday to see if it helps

I have gone over her loads and can't find fleas

2month ago i changed them on to skinners field and trial duck and rice could this be something to do with it?

Should I go to the vets for a scraping?

I've added a pic to show the area, the skins not broken or red her coats gone dull and you only have to stroke her for the dandruff like flakes to appeare

Thanks for your help

Neil

image.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was looking at some anti fungal mange shampoo on eBay would that be ok or shall I just go with the chemist first?   Did your whippet lose fur aswell mate? I had read to add sunflower oil to there

I'd change the food and see your local chemist for some shampoo, tell them you have a dry flaky scalp and they will supply you with a medicated shampoo. Possibly there is some kind of infestation but I would try food change and shampoo first before spending silly money at the vets. Just my opinion.

My whippet had a touch of flakey skin or dandruff. I thought it was because i'd changed his food. Turns out it was down to not having enough oil in his grub as he gets mostly raw mixed with dry. Started feeding him raw oily fish a few times a week with dry and his coat is now spot on. Worth a try :thumbs:

I was looking at some anti fungal mange shampoo on eBay would that be ok or shall I just go with the chemist first?

Did your whippet lose fur aswell mate? I had read to add sunflower oil to there diet aswell ?

Thanks for the replies

Neil

He didn't lose any fur...just bad dandruff and it didn't seem to bother him...just looked bad because he's jet black. Your dog might have such a bad case of flakey skin that it's causing it to itch or it may have a skin problem. Worth trying extra oil...other than that a trip to the vet as a shampoo could irritate it more...just a thought.

I was looking at some anti fungal mange shampoo on eBay would that be ok or shall I just go with the chemist first?

Did your whippet lose fur aswell mate? I had read to add sunflower oil to there diet aswell ?

Thanks for the replies

Neil

• Like 1

I think you can buy a large bottle of seven seas codliver oil from the chemist...fish oils are supposed to be really good for them just like us. Might be worth trying that instead of sunflower oil or whatever. A teaspoon through every meal maybe and if it doesn't help after a couple of weeks then a trip to the vets.

I give mine a codliver oil cap a few times a week anyway but that didn't seem to be enough until i got a source for raw salmon. A couple of weeks of giving him that every 2nd day and his coat shines and no dandruff.