Bored

dont keep numbers mate try to for about a month and then just lose it :blink: id say 60+ easy.[/size] we averaged around 4/5 rabbits a week at the start the season then dropped to around three or 4. and two hen pheasants aswell, his first pheasants in 5years. we struggled to get those numbers though, at the start we stayed local then as the rabbit numbers go down we end up doing alot of miles to find the numbers. and then some permission i have with plenty of rabbits arnt suitable for the hawk because of fences so you end up searching for new ground with rabbit numbers and suitable ground which takes up most of my time. to be fair we had a decent year last year the season before i probably got just over 30 i really struggled to find much. but by the looks of things this seasons gonna be a cracker my main hawking ground is packed with them so i should be ok :thumbs: ferrets make life alot easier :yes:

Yes we're seeing rabbits again this summer but I know mixy and the virus will call round again, a lot depends on what survives that.

I've done my share of ferreting but with the lurchers I preferred to let them hunt up their own rabbits, with the hawk I'd rather fly her over my pointer. It can be good sport bolting rabbits and it does provide quarry for hawk,dog or gun if there's not much sat out but like I say I prefer to walk about. You don't need as many rabbits to keep a hawk happy as what you do for a lurcher, no where near in fact, so I'm hoping I don't need to rely on ferrets. Plus I hate lugging ferret boxes and their locators about.

Won't be long now and the talking on a forum will stop and we can actually hunt something lol.

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That would be good if eventually that happened but it's getting the right breeders who no what they are doing and not some numpty after a quick pound. And breeding from the right birds

I hope to get a video of a stoop on a grouse from a hugh pitch come August:)

Reading this thread getting me very itchy boys!

Not for me gos hawks to highly strung like spars tho:)

do you think that eventually with most gos being bred from imprinted stock, that eventually they will loose their natural spookiness? and become more stabilised overall, Im talking successful imprints being bred by those whom fulfil the birds mind with hunting as opposed to breeders who simply chamber them breed em? eventually turning out slightly more manfriendly stable hawks of this type?

My knowledge of falconry is very limited but surely thats how it should be with any animal bred for purpose ?
You'd be suprised at the level of peddling that goes on in falconry, I thought the dog world was bad but I got a real eye opener when I contacted some breeders. They weren't interested if I could house, care for and hunt a hawk adequately. I was told that I sounded sensible so I should get a Harris, off course I was advised to buy from them because there's a lot of backyard breeding going on lol.

The falconry world is full of hypocrites, when I started asking questions about how much hunting they do, season tallies etc the replies I got were often vague and sometimes hostile. On another forum a few years ago I was told to stick to dogs when asking about the low head count some people were getting. The standard issue reply was that they only cared about quality flights, that's ok in theory but something is going wrong somewhere if a person says he flys every day but is only taking twenty rabbits a season.Either they are incompetent or the hawk is.We all want quality hunting whatever we do but with every other hunting sport I've participated in with quantity came quality.Its the law of averages.Also as these Harris hawks follow on and it's impossible to know how well a bolted rabbit will run etc the quality of the flight isn't in our control for much of the time.

I imagine like it can be in the dog world it's not always the big names or those that post a lot on Internet forums that are out there doing the hunting to a high standard.

This is true with Harris hawks I like to see a fair flight that ends with the quarry in the bag every time. Their are quite a number of breeders arnt really interested what experience the would be owner has mind you some times it's hard to tell as some people talk the talk after reading a couple of books their are some amazing breeders out their I find recommendation best and if a would be first time Harris hawker wants one of mine I will speak to a mentor first where as if one of my game hawks has a crap flight I'd rather they were rewarded with a kill at a great pitch not a lazy one. Edited by CrowHawker

do you think that eventually with most gos being bred from imprinted stock, that eventually they will loose their natural spookiness? and become more stabilised overall, Im talking successful imprints being bred by those whom fulfil the birds mind with hunting as opposed to breeders who simply chamber them breed em? eventually turning out slightly more manfriendly stable hawks of this type?

My knowledge of falconry is very limited but surely thats how it should be with any animal bred for purpose ?

You'd be suprised at the level of peddling that goes on in falconry, I thought the dog world was bad but I got a real eye opener when I contacted some breeders. They weren't interested if I could house, care for and hunt a hawk adequately. I was told that I sounded sensible so I should get a Harris, off course I was advised to buy from them because there's a lot of backyard breeding going on lol.

The falconry world is full of hypocrites, when I started asking questions about how much hunting they do, season tallies etc the replies I got were often vague and sometimes hostile. On another forum a few years ago I was told to stick to dogs when asking about the low head count some people were getting. The standard issue reply was that they only cared about quality flights, that's ok in theory but something is going wrong somewhere if a person says he flys every day but is only taking twenty rabbits a season.Either they are incompetent or the hawk is.We all want quality hunting whatever we do but with every other hunting sport I've participated in with quantity came quality.Its the law of averages.Also as these Harris hawks follow on and it's impossible to know how well a bolted rabbit will run etc the quality of the flight isn't in our control for much of the time.

I imagine like it can be in the dog world it's not always the big names or those that post a lot on Internet forums that are out there doing the hunting to a high standard.

sorry bud but you do seem very kill count motivated, there could be a number of reasons why someones final tally is 20, rabbit numbers, unsuitable land and unwilling landowners to name a few so its not your place to be questioning there abilities, like i said i took around 30 one year but it wasnt with lack of trying i did miles searching for quarry but you cant catch what isnt there . if it was one of the things you asked me if i was a breeder the first time you saw me then i would be a little hostile and it hasnt surprised me someone would tell you to stick to dogs. falconry isnt about number of kills its about the experience and the thrill of the chase, i would never ask anyone how much there birds have taken i would ask how there season went. i doubt there is many that can give you an exact number as that becomes unimportant as time goes by. :yes:

dont keep numbers mate try to for about a month and then just lose it :blink: id say 60+ easy.[/size] we averaged around 4/5 rabbits a week at the start the season then dropped to around three or 4. and two hen pheasants aswell, his first pheasants in 5years. we struggled to get those numbers though, at the start we stayed local then as the rabbit numbers go down we end up doing alot of miles to find the numbers. and then some permission i have with plenty of rabbits arnt suitable for the hawk because of fences so you end up searching for new ground with rabbit numbers and suitable ground which takes up most of my time. to be fair we had a decent year last year the season before i probably got just over 30 i really struggled to find much. but by the looks of things this seasons gonna be a cracker my main hawking ground is packed with them so i should be ok :thumbs: ferrets make life alot easier :yes:

Won't be long now and the talking on a forum will stop and we can actually hunt something lol.

it has gone pretty quick this moult, 3 months has flown past :laugh:

• Like 1

don't you worry mate be the time you going away the head count wil be rolling all keep her right whilst you away, been over a few spots today the rabbits are soreading like wildfire, a young harris would of had a field day out this afternoon, seen a few leverets as well millling around as well, fields are alive with game

sorry bud but you do seem very kill count motivated, there could be a number of reasons why someones final tally is 20, rabbit numbers, unsuitable land and unwilling landowners to name a few so its not your place to be questioning there abilities, like i said i took around 30 one year but it wasnt with lack of trying i did miles searching for quarry but you cant catch what isnt there . if it was one of the things you asked me if i was a breeder the first time you saw me then i would be a little hostile and it hasnt surprised me someone would tell you to stick to dogs. falconry isnt about number of kills its about the experience and the thrill of the chase, i would never ask anyone how much there birds have taken i would ask how there season went. i doubt there is many that can give you an exact number as that becomes unimportant as time goes by. :yes:

Again you lot want it all ways lol

You criticised me for not doing an apprentiship a couple of days ago, perhaps wondering about my commitment, available time, permission etc etc. Now as expected I'm kill motivated, nothing could be further from the truth, with rabbit numbers as they are I wish I could return them alive and unharmed but with a hawk we can't.Im going to get out with mine and ill hopefully take her lamping so I expect to catch stuff, I will keep a tally because that's what I do. I find its easy for people to think they have done better than they have because its human nature to only remember the good times. There have been years when I've thought I'd taken more rats and rabbits with the dogs than I did, the end of year count up coming as a shock. Maybe it's just me.

Now as for rabbit numbers, land etc i accept that we can have bad years like last year but if its always like that then something is going wrong.if a person dosent have the land or the finances to travel further then should they be keeping one, and personally I don't think they should be talking big on forums.

Like I say you can't have it all ways.

Lets keep a regular diary on here next season, like crow hawker says plenty talk the talk the Internet certainly lacks threads about actual hunting with hawks. The best threads on IFF are the diary type and guess what those lads seem to catch stuff. Hollingshead in one of his books makes comment of season tallies, I think his hawk at the time was on ninety odd when asked. Nick Fox includes a chart in his book I can't remember the figures but I imagine it was pretty high for a Harris.I don't expect to do anything too good next season as it will be my first full season as well as the hawks. I do expect to knock a few things over though, anything less would have me questioning what was going wrong and if it could be changed.

Those breeders were peddling hawks, I only asked them a few frank questions when it became clear that they couldn't possibly fly all those birds, one admitted he didn't fly his Harris hawks and no they weren't retired, just well bred apparently.It can be hard to get a point across on the Internet because its not a face to face conversation but I've never been into numbers. I've already said I stopped ferreting with lurchers because I preferred to watch them hunt up and catch their own quarry. I only lamped enough to keep the dog fit on days I'd been to work.

Why would anybody find someone asking what their working animals have done or how much hunting they do in any way offensive, what's to hide? With a Harris I expect to put stuff in the bag regularly because of the nature of the hunting they can do, if I don't then I would have to ask myself why. Numbers are not the most important factor In any hunting sport but at the same time they cannot be ignored. Yes things like quarry disease, injury, extreme weather etc play their part.

Maybe I won't do well next season and you can say you told me so lol.

I didn't read all that I would say I'm killed motivated I go out to practice falconry witch is hunting with birds of prey! I get very annoyed and disapointed when I go home empty handed after training and bonding with my birds preparing them to hunt I want them to kill!

• Like 2

lol we will all end uop worse than the lurcher section of we dont get out in the field soon, I know Pointer and he will find plenty of game for the bird, he managed well enough back end of last season to be fair, a lot of lurcher lads go onto make very good falconers due top their ability too find game to put under birds, Pointer is justthe sort of fella that will set himself a target what ever he chooses to do, it motivates him , Ive never known him too do anything half hearted and well know how long he waited to take up his first hawk to hunt with, if anyone is too blame for him going for it too early that would be me lol I simply know he will suceed as he firmly understands what is required to get the very best out of them, he may not coime across a s confident but I seen his bird fly from the off and he has every reason to be proud, she a feisty girl and he has developed a good understanding of her nature and how best motivate her in the field, he also done very well to get her to understand the dogs role in play, consideing her initial hostility, hard work and good serving of the hawk mnade that possible,

• Like 1

i never said you was kill motivated i said you was kill count motivated. not the same thing, kill motivated is to get a kick from the actual killing of the animal. not saying its bad or offensive to ask about kill counts but its certainly not something you ask the first time you meet somebody. now im not one of these people that say the flight is everything, i too am disapointed if i come home empty handed but like i said a kill tally becomes unimportant and not something i feel the need to do or ask for anyone elses, as long as them and the hawk are having a great experience a kill everyday isnt important, articgun will tell you that with the enjoyment he gets out of lure flying. and as for some people not having the finances or being able to travel, is that up to you to tell them they shouldnt have a hawk, like i said in my previous post i put in hundreds of miles to put my hawk on game so theres no need for that. and i wont be needing to say i told you so because im not that petty, and i wont ask you how much you had but how your season went and how you enjoyed it, really depsite all this i can see from your eagerness and articguns comments that you will do good by the hawk and go far

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

Lets keep a regular diary on here next season, like crow hawker says plenty talk the talk the Internet certainly lacks threads about actual hunting with hawks. The best threads on IFF are the diary type and guess what those lads seem to catch stuff.

ye we deffinetly need to keep one, im taking smoothfinish out next season so it would be nice to have something to look back on, the reason it can be hard to keep a diary is me like alot of other falconers only have themselves to go out with so trying to control hawk, ferret/dog and camera can be difficult. but im sure between the two of us we can manage a few pictures

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

the diary pics etc sounds a good idea, Im hoping to get far more pics this season , as having help in field will allow me th efreeedom to do so, same goes video footage , am confident all manage catchign harris flight its the falcon afetr hares might prove more tricky but not impossible, time will tell all

Just been out lookig at my boys new coat andhe looking good, shame he such a scruff and wont wash himself regular lol

i would like to do a few vids too, maybe if somes good enough i might put them on youtube or maybe we could start up a hunting life falconry account between us if thats possible only share the password between those who will use it then post them on there, just an idea. nice to give members and other beginners an insight

my harris loves a bath dives straight in before ive even placed it on the ground ready for it filling up ha. never once had to imp a feather with mine. i recon water softens them as every week during the season i pour kettle water over the tail feathers and wing feathers when he will let me. straightens all the kinks and nicks in them keeping them looking pretty for the rest of the season. :thumbs: