Bored

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That would be good if eventually that happened but it's getting the right breeders who no what they are doing and not some numpty after a quick pound. And breeding from the right birds

I hope to get a video of a stoop on a grouse from a hugh pitch come August:)

Reading this thread getting me very itchy boys!

I've come across all wrong on this thread, i always find it hard to express my thoughts in a post,anyway no harm done.

I really do put enjoyment and giving my working animals time out in the field above any kill count. For years i struggled to find my terriers enough ratting and would spend several nights a week only taking three or four at a time but i knew the dogs enjoyed it and little and often adds up. I've waited so long to own a hawk that part of me is terrified of failing with her in any way.

I've just come back from walking the dog and for the first time in maybe two years rabbits scattered from the grass areas inside the industrial estate, so much depends on how the rabbits make a comeback for next season. Last season the dales areas were wiped out and when out lamping i would see more hares than rabbits in most spots. The rabbit became a rare species where a few years ago we were able to get numbers week in week out all season. It became pointless putting twenty quid in the motor to go hunting and if it wasn't for owning a Gwp who needs to hunt on that type of land to keep him sane i wouldn't have bothered.

If the rabbit hasn't made a come back over the summer or rather if the virus's and mixy decimate the new stock then i'm going to struggle.

• Like 1

I've come across all wrong on this thread, i always find it hard to express my thoughts in a post,anyway no harm done.

I really do put enjoyment and giving my working animals time out in the field above any kill count. For years i struggled to find my terriers enough ratting and would spend several nights a week only taking three or four at a time but i knew the dogs enjoyed it and little and often adds up. I've waited so long to own a hawk that part of me is terrified of failing with her in any way.

I've just come back from walking the dog and for the first time in maybe two years rabbits scattered from the grass areas inside the industrial estate, so much depends on how the rabbits make a comeback for next season. Last season the dales areas were wiped out and when out lamping i would see more hares than rabbits in most spots. The rabbit became a rare species where a few years ago we were able to get numbers week in week out all season. It became pointless putting twenty quid in the motor to go hunting and if it wasn't for owning a Gwp who needs to hunt on that type of land to keep him sane i wouldn't have bothered.

If the rabbit hasn't made a come back over the summer or rather if the virus's and mixy decimate the new stock then i'm going to struggle.

for the truly determined theres always somewhere mate

im sure you will do just fine. ;) hawking can be a real test sometimes. my first 2 seasons i didnt own a ferret or a dog so i would be knackered by the end of the day walking every field beating every bit of cover to get one rabbit, then do it all again the day after, but that didnt make me enjoy the experience any less. i loved every minute of it

for the truly determined theres always somewhere mate

I'll do whatever it takes but it will be easier if we can get good hunting on our local spots. I can't wait to get started now :laugh::laugh:

im sure you will do just fine. ;) hawking can be a real test sometimes. my first 2 seasons i didnt own a ferret or a dog so i would be knackered by the end of the day walking every field beating every bit of cover to get one rabbit, then do it all again the day after, but that didnt make me enjoy the experience any less. i loved every minute of it

Last season mine wouldn't stay in the same field as the dog so i had to try and do the flushing for her with mixed results.Yes i enjoyed it but it was frustrating being on land with a seriously low rabbit population with a game finding machine left in his kennel. I once had an hour out with her following on bashing around in likely spots with no luck,out of curiousity i took her back home and picked up the pointer. He covered the exact same ground finding several rabbits and three pheasants which i must have almost stamped on not long before.Plus he gives some indication that something is about which would give her time to get into position, she did start to tolerate him at the end but chances were missed when she was thinking more about the dog than what he was finding.I won't know if things have improved until we start again, she is moulting where she can see him all day so i'm hoping that helps her become more used to him.

My pointer was used successfully with Arcticguns Harris and flushed pheasants when out with his Falcon last season so it was disappointing not to use him more with my own hawk. I'm confident that by showing her that he will provide flights she will get over her issues with him, in the last couple of weeks of the season i sacrificed possible flights and kills and took the dog along every day. She didn't bugger off like she used to and a couple of flushed pheasants had her taking notice of him to the point where she was once flying down over him as he went from point to flush and it was a lucky pheasant that escaped that day.

Pointer I think once you start a fresh season, her tolerance too the dog will improve as he will be able to serve her she will soon learn his role in the pack,and what he adds to the whole scenario, once the transistion made peace will reign, they are a clever bird far brighter than any other sort I have personaly worked with and she will work it out imho, her tolerance is building thats obvious from seeign her in the mews with them around, she just wants em too know who is the gaffer lol

• Like 1

im saying its unusual for a harris to take that badly, meaning flying into an opposite field away from a dog. ive not heard of many eyasses if any being so hard to break to dogs, yes many just tolerate them but its not the usual thing for them to absolutely hate them, not for an eyass anyway. maybe if he bought an older bird which hadnt been broken to dogs. anyway like artic gun said having the dog round the mews will make a big difference and seeing him serving game will be the biggest help, same with ferrets. certainly wish i had a pointer would be a great addition to the team :yes:

She was a year old and hadnt done much, I knew Harris hawks can dislike dogs but i thought that by careful handling everything would be fine. She will feed in front of him and I had her flying over him within days of owning her in my own garden but once in open areas she played daft. I should have persisted from the off but wanting to get sport I left him at home, I should have looked at the bigger picture and thought about the seasons ahead. She did take a moorhen when he was there and was fine with him sat beside us.He is sensible around hawks and keeps his distance.

I should have maybe waited to get a young hawk and one raised around dogs but we did make some improvements before the season ended, I could have done with another month.

With a dog helping us we would have done much better as we all know how tight rabbits and pheasants will sit in cover. Plus if I started ferreting to her he would mark occupied sets saving time messing around with empty ones.