Lets See Some Bull X Patterdale

its all just down to preference if it works for you i dont see what the problem is, nobody's forcing anybody into putting bull into their terriers! And i for one like a strong dog with a bit of bull in that can hold his own

There are plenty of patterdales that can hold their own, with pedigrees going back years, and years, and years with no known bull blood in them!!

In my opinion adding bull blood to a patterdale is Laziness!! put in the time and effort to find a line that sticks true to the breed. Anyone and I mean anyone with half an idea could breed a terrier that can be dug to by adding bull blood (because the prey drive is so high (which it should be!!)) But digging to a terrier week in week out, several times a week with no bull blood (or very little which is nigh on irrelevant) that only takes stick when necessary that can produce, is the art of a great terrier/terrierman/line.

are you referring to your mate in cwmbran lol

Edited by Zerky

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1/2 cross fit

Not bull x, pure patt but I'd say there's bull in him along the line.

Posted Images

I'm just thankful that people were able to produce smooth coated bull headed dogs from the shaggy old terriers that were hanging about in Tommy Dobson's day. How did they do it, magic I guess?

Magic!! there's no such thing!!! A smooth coat can be produced, a good head can be produced but every man born that can read this should look after a line of terriers that can go to ground and stay with out bull blood obvious in the pedigrees (please read pre posts)

its all just down to preference if it works for you i dont see what the problem is, nobody's forcing anybody into putting bull into their terriers! And i for one like a strong dog with a bit of bull in that can hold his own

There are plenty of patterdales that can hold their own, with pedigrees going back years, and years, and years with no known bull blood in them!!

In my opinion adding bull blood to a patterdale is Laziness!! put in the time and effort to find a line that sticks true to the breed. Anyone and I mean anyone with half an idea could breed a terrier that can be dug to by adding bull blood (because the prey drive is so high (which it should be!!)) But digging to a terrier week in week out, several times a week with no bull blood (or very little which is nigh on irrelevant) that only takes stick when necessary that can produce, is the art of a great terrier/terrierman/line.

are you referring to your mate in cwmbran lol
the man think he gone chocolate now

If I had it my way I would never see a choco again!! for no reason other than I like a black dog!! and The the best dog I have ever seen was a black dog!! (stevensxstevens) and even worse the dog does not appear on any ped I own!! But I know that I saw and I would like to head that way!

I'm just thankful that people were able to produce smooth coated bull headed dogs from the shaggy old terriers that were hanging about in Tommy Dobson's day. How did they do it, magic I guess?

Magic!! there's no such thing!!! A smooth coat can be produced, a good head can be produced but every man born that can read this should look after a line of terriers that can go to ground and stay with out bull blood obvious in the pedigrees (please read pre posts)
mate the way I see it bull done no harm some reckless yes good and bad in all even blacks with no bull but like stated .some where some time it's in a lot of stuff

If I had it my way I would never see a choco again!! for no reason other than I like a black dog!! and The the best dog I have ever seen was a black dog!! (stevensxstevens) and even worse the dog does not appear on any ped I own!! But I know that I saw and I would like to head that way!

just remember mate chocolate just a colour if it stevens to stevens prob more choc in its ped than blacks

If you have the knowledge any bull blood is SHIT!! a line that has been kept for years does not need it!!!!! And I mean it!!! It really does not need or want it!! I will gladly show YOU my peds and before I was born There is no bull and I and anyone in my friendship would not at it as there is no!! need. up at 5am with my bull blooded crosses(jokes) good night. xx

the way I am mate truth hand on heart long as it works I couldn't care if there was yorkie in it long as I can dig it straight up
  • Like 2

Where did i say a dog with no bull wouldn't hold it's own?

You got it there nail on the head mate "your opinion!!" and in my opinion what you wrote is a load of bollocks, the bull blood might be diluted in alot of lines these days but why was they added in the first place? Was it because they were lazy or because it added something to the line... obvious to me which one makes sense! And anyone can breed a terrier that can be dug to by adding bull blood? Are you pissed up by any chance? well we'll agree to disagree! :thumbs::laugh:

JMHO but one of the main reasons a bull outcross has been used in the last 20 or so years by some of the big names is because they don't have to go to a terrierman for the lining.

If you bring a bitch of your line to a dog of another mans line the resulting litter is 50% the other mans hard work, pride and joy, call it what you want but it's 50% his.

So some of the big names, when needed, used an outcross of a pure staff, pit bull or in one case I know, miniature English bull and they can and do lay claim that the line of terrier is still theirs.

That's a fact.

• Like 2

mr breay and buck said they didnt use a drop of bull blood, sparrow said use it as a out-cross every 10 generations. nuttall said the bull terrier needs a drop of patterdale not the other way-around.good bull terrier is a good out-cross, as many benifits, but i think a terrier should work at itsquarry, inculding voice, bull cross are often to hard.work their quarry differently, i prefer thetrue terrier style.a local lad as a chocolate patterdale, 15 inch, smooth coated, just looks like a small staffy, itsa stunning dog, some would argue that there is too much bull in them already ?horses for courses...kev-medlock crew

So what's the benefits of using bull blood?

I wouldn't say bull blood gives prey drive. Aggression and prey drive are two totally different things. I'm not going to quote percentage because quite frankly I'd be guessing, but I will say that most bull blood these day if not all is bred for the almighty pound rather than for prey drive or aggression.

I personally can't see the point in adding bull blood but that's my opinion and I don't claim to know it all, we can only go off our life experience and in my life I've seen nothing in bull blood that I'd want in my terriers.

Edited by dillydog