• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1/2 cross fit

Not bull x, pure patt but I'd say there's bull in him along the line.

Posted Images

mr breay and buck said they didnt use a drop of bull blood, sparrow said use it as a out-cross every 10 generations. nuttall said the bull terrier needs a drop of patterdale not the other way-around.

good bull terrier is a good out-cross, as many benifits, but i think a terrier should work at its

quarry, inculding voice, bull cross are often to hard.work their quarry differently, i prefer the

true terrier style.

a local lad as a chocolate patterdale, 15 inch, smooth coated, just looks like a small staffy, its

a stunning dog, some would argue that there is too much bull in them already ?

horses for courses...

kev-medlock crew

• Like 1

mr breay and buck said they didnt use a drop of bull blood, sparrow said use it as a out-cross every 10 generations. nuttall said the bull terrier needs a drop of patterdale not the other way-around.

good bull terrier is a good out-cross, as many benifits, but i think a terrier should work at its

quarry, inculding voice, bull cross are often to hard.work their quarry differently, i prefer the

true terrier style.

a local lad as a chocolate patterdale, 15 inch, smooth coated, just looks like a small staffy, its

horses for courses...

kev-medlock crew

I think thats the problem, too many think that's what a working terrier 'should' look like and breed for it regardless of working ability. All fueled by some of the names mentioned..!

true terrier style.

horses for courses...

kev-medlock crew

I think thats the problem, too many think that's what a working terrier 'should' look like and breed for it regardless of working ability. All fueled by some of the names mentioned..!

Totally agree with you. Many people are more worried about what a terrier should look like than how well it works. Also hardness is usually more valued than good sense and finding ability which is much more important in a good terrier seeing regular work.

• Like 3

I cant understand why any one would put bull blood or any other blood into a Patterdale! If that is needed the patterdale should not be bred from in my opinion and a different patterdale/line should be looked for.

I think there bull going back to a lot of black lines somewhere or other and pops up now and again in character but just my thoughts

its all just down to preference if it works for you i dont see what the problem is, nobody's forcing anybody into putting bull into their terriers! And i for one like a strong dog with a bit of bull in that can hold his own

There are plenty of patterdales that can hold their own, with pedigrees going back years, and years, and years with no known bull blood in them!!

In my opinion adding bull blood to a patterdale is Laziness!! put in the time and effort to find a line that sticks true to the breed. Anyone and I mean anyone with half an idea could breed a terrier that can be dug to by adding bull blood (because the prey drive is so high (which it should be!!)) But digging to a terrier week in week out, several times a week with no bull blood (or very little which is nigh on irrelevant) that only takes stick when necessary that can produce, is the art of a great terrier/terrierman/line.

• Like 4

its all just down to preference if it works for you i dont see what the problem is, nobody's forcing anybody into putting bull into their terriers! And i for one like a strong dog with a bit of bull in that can hold his own

There are plenty of patterdales that can hold their own, with pedigrees going back years, and years, and years with no known bull blood in them!!

In my opinion adding bull blood to a patterdale is Laziness!! put in the time and effort to find a line that sticks true to the breed. Anyone and I mean anyone with half an idea could breed a terrier that can be dug to by adding bull blood (because the prey drive is so high (which it should be!!)) But digging to a terrier week in week out, several times a week with no bull blood (or very little which is nigh on irrelevant) that only takes stick when necessary that can produce, is the art of a great terrier/terrierman/line.

are you referring to your mate in cwmbran lol