Bloody Stools

Just went outside to clean out hutch and found that my 10 week old kit has blood in his poop. the poop is solid and not runny at all so looks normal just one of them is covered in a bit of blood. he is eating and drinking very well and seems very bright and normal. should I be worrying? perhaps its because he swallowed some material from his toys?

if it was me and considering its only a kit i would be suspecting worms coccidiosis or some parisite. it might be worth your while first just spraying it with frontline to rule out external parisites and then wash with jeyes fluid or lightly burn around hutch or area with blowtorch you can give a mild broadspectrum wormer but always remember to burn or jeyes fluid the hutch and keep it clean and fresh bedding everyday so as to prevent reinfection also you can treat for cocci through the water but all that said it is best to go the vet and get the stools tested because its very hard to say it might be this or that without getting the stools tested and as you are probably aware they look fine one day and before you know it they can go down hill very quick.

How is the kit now? Still alive? A 'fresh' blood coloured poo indicates a lower intestinal issue. Is the kit still producing blood? Might correlate to the paw chewing issue if you are talking about the same kit. Atb.

Edited by ferret100

Yeah it is the same kit. he passes lots of normal healthy stools and last 'red' stool passed was over 48 hours ago but after literally pulling it apart and inspecting it, it was as I originally thought his red feathered toys cos I found bits of the fibres intertwined with the stool which gave it a bright red appearance :yes: there was also some rectal bleeding like you say so perhaps its best to remove these toys? he does really tear them apart and chew them. at the same time I don't want to spoil his playtime :cray: his chewing foot habit hasn't ceased but it was present way before I saw any bloody stools.

Edited by onthehunt
  • Like 1

Yeah it is the same kit. he passes lots of normal healthy stools and last 'red' stool passed was over 48 hours ago but after literally pulling it apart and inspecting it, it was as I originally thought his red feathered toys cos I found bits of the fibres intertwined with the stool which gave it a bright red appearance :yes: there was also some rectal bleeding like you say so perhaps its best to remove these toys? he does really tear them apart and chew them. at the same time I don't want to spoil his playtime :cray: his chewing foot habit hasn't ceased but it was present way before I saw any bloody stools.

Id remove any chewable toys and give him some pipes to run through instead.

if it was me and considering its only a kit i would be suspecting worms coccidiosis or some parisite. it might be worth your while first just spraying it with frontline to rule out external parisites and then wash with jeyes fluid or lightly burn around hutch or area with blowtorch you can give a mild broadspectrum wormer but always remember to burn or jeyes fluid the hutch and keep it clean and fresh bedding everyday so as to prevent reinfection also you can treat for cocci through the water but all that said it is best to go the vet and get the stools tested because its very hard to say it might be this or that without getting the stools tested and as you are probably aware they look fine one day and before you know it they can go down hill very quick.

NEVER wash ferret hutches with jeyes or any other solution that goes white when added to water,its phenol based and can be injested through the ferrets skin leading to death

OP your kit with the problem chewing its feet? Had you used any such cleaner on the hutch?

Y.I.S Leeview

NEVER wash ferret hutches with jeyes or any other solution that goes white when added to water,its phenol based and can be injested through the ferrets skin leading to death

OP your kit with the problem chewing its feet? Had you used any such cleaner on the hutch?

Y.I.S Leeview

No I have not used any of the cleaning agents described above :icon_eek: I can't believe that one would suggest using jeyes in a kit's hutch. I use pet-safe disinfectant from the pet store, very diluted bleach, scrubbing brush and several buckets of bleach :yes: if there are parasites (there are none now), I use indoorex spray in both the hutches and de-flea with spot-on treatment. after taking a closer look at the foot-chewing, I have come to the conclusion that he thinks its a nipple! not kidding. he uses his tongue as he would if he was suckling :D Maybe an insecurity thing? he was sold to me 2 weeks short of the usual age kits are sold.

Y.I.S Leeview

No I have not used any of the cleaning agents described above :icon_eek: I can't believe that one would suggest using jeyes in a kit's hutch. I use pet-safe disinfectant from the pet store, very diluted bleach, scrubbing brush and several buckets of bleach :yes: if there are parasites (there are none now), I use indoorex spray in both the hutches and de-flea with spot-on treatment. after taking a closer look at the foot-chewing, I have come to the conclusion that he thinks its a nipple! not kidding. he uses his tongue as he would if he was suckling :D Maybe an insecurity thing? he was sold to me 2 weeks short of the usual age kits are sold.

dont mean to cause a bitching match here but just to point out you can use jeyes fluid on a kits hutch it can be used and is safe if you follow instructions and wash area clean afterwards its very effective and kills mould and bacteria aswell especially in areas that sunlight cannot get to. yes if you dont wash out the area afterwards with water then their will be possibility of toxins. it is a very effective disinfectant if used properly. i do respect the fact that you like to use petstore bought disinfectant but its not right that you make a comment saying "I cant believe that one would suggest using jeyes fluid in a kits hutch" why knock something that works. i went and copies what jeyes have to say about jeyes fluid use in animal hutches.

Disinfect animal housing: Rabbits, guinea pigs - their hutches can very quickly get dirty. Give your loved pets' home a new lease of life with a thorough scrub with Jeyes fluid and stuff full of sweet smelling hay. Remember to wash it thoroughly to remove all traces of disinfectant

What does it say on the label of your disinfectant??????

forgot to ad bleach contains chlorine when in confined spaces can also poison if not used properly.

this can leed to damage in the lower digestive tract which if you use buckets of bleach may even be the cause of bloody stools??????

As long as his poos are consistently normal, he is eating, drinking and acting as normal then good. All youngsters eat stuff they shouldn't no matter what species! Glad the toys didn't cause any blockages, nasty business, so if he's going to chew and swallow toys best to remove them when not supervised, who knows what he'll do to himself :laugh: . 'Lower intestinal issues' can be more involved than rectal bleeding, thought perhaps the 'foot fetish' and abdominal discomfort/'bloody poo' could be related, but seeing as he's ingested his red toys, well, he is just an enigma isn't he :laugh: Best to stay on sh*t watch for any other indications, whether 'fresh' blood or a dark coloured/tarry consistency of poo. If he has had rectal bleeding best to ease this for next while, Ferrets Formula would help but if in a pinch some sunflower or olive oil would do to ease the passage of digestive tract. Sometimes animals develop unusual behaviour when they are in pain or discomfort, hope the kit is faring well. Atb.

Over the past few days, he's been bought some green and purple-feathered toys and is now consequently passing green/purple stools :laugh::laugh: :laugh: really! I think the mystery has been solved :victory: important thing is he is pooping well and is coming up 12 weeks, meaning the bites are getting stronger :icon_eek: lol