Ladder Trap Not Catching..

hi lads ,

Have had my new ladder trap out for 3 days now without a single catch ... i baited it with dead rabbit with it's guts out but nothing .. tried bread aswel.. birds showing no interest and flying right over it .. am i missing something with it?

atb

myles

Make sure the meat is changed every couple of days. Warm weather, makes it go a bit manky quickly. Although corvids eat carrion, fresh carrion is more appealing. Open the door to it and prop it open for a few days bud. The birds will land and walk into it. This will get them used to it. Then shut the door when you see bait being taken and hopefully you'll catch. Remember, always leave 2-3 in there as a natural set of call birds. Also, don't kill them in front of each other. Park a car near by and walk round the other side, bang over the head and drop. Take next one. Repeat. This will mean that the birds you leave in there are not distressed. The trap needs a water supply, food source and perch if you leave call birds in there by law, and is actually more likely to attract anyway.

Let me know if you're still struggling to catch.

Atb, BB

Edited by Bunny Boiler
  • Like 1

Make sure the meat is changed every couple of days. Warm weather, makes it go a bit manky quickly. Although corvids eat carrion, fresh carrion is more appealing. Open the door to it and prop it open for a few days bud. The birds will land and walk into it. This will get them used to it. Then shut the door when you see bait being taken and hopefully you'll catch. Remember, always leave 2-3 in there as a natural set of call birds. Also, don't kill them in front of each other. Park a car near by and walk round the other side, bang over the head and drop. Take next one. Repeat. This will mean that the birds you leave in there are not distressed. The trap needs a water supply, food source and perch if you leave call birds in there by law, and is actually more likely to attract anyway.

Atb, BB

was missing the perch mate , will try that tomorrow and i'll throw more meat in ... will a dead pigeon do as bunnies are scarce around here?

hi lads ,

Have had my new ladder trap out for 3 days now without a single catch ... i baited it with dead rabbit with it's guts out but nothing .. tried bread aswel.. birds showing no interest and flying right over it .. am i missing something with it?

atb

myles

Their harder to catch at this time of year cos theres loads of other food available. I trap most of mine during the late winter and early spring when natural food is scarce

Atb, BB

was missing the perch mate , will try that tomorrow and i'll throw more meat in ... will a dead pigeon do as bunnies are scarce around here?
I would stick to un-feathered carrion that you can cut open, but I see no reason why not. Corn and any other food will work. Or if you can get a call bird, that is ideal.

depends on the area and how wise and harassed the crows are, iv filled a trap over night on a landfill but 2 miles down the road I needed a few call birds in to catch anything. I would try and get some call birds pal..... if that might take a while spend some time just feeding them in the general area

Try using bread, by up all cheap stuff at end of the day from shops and bait for few days all around and in the trap, then shut the doors. Always worked for me. Also, watch out using carrion as bait, always some nosey git out there ready to accuse you of trying to catch birds of prey!!

I keep the lid off mine for the first few weeks and feed with wheat and bread, then put the lid on and hey presto. Once I have a few I always keep 2 or 3 in there to encourage others. Works for me have had 69 in the last 2 weeks and counting.

Wink