O `Tom tick twister. Get them off ebay... Dont do owt that will make the tick purge, like burning it or putting something irritable on it. Grab it as close to the skin as possable to try and get all the mouth parts out. Tweezers will do for now, grab it and turn it anti clockwise till it comes away.

I use one of these needle threader. Place it over the tick and gently pull it back till you have the wire on the ticks probe, then steadily lift the threader applying pressure as you lift. Never left a ticks probe in an animal yet with it.

2012_0714toolbucket0003.jpg

TC

I use one of these needle threader. Place it over the tick and gently pull it back till you have the wire on the ticks probe, then steadily lift the threader applying pressure as you lift. Never left a ticks probe in an animal yet with it.

2012_0714toolbucket0003.jpg

TC

I had something similar before the O`Tom. It had more of a handle, being purpose made. Found it a right pain in the arse, could never get them out cleanly.

thanks for the info chaps i used tweezerz and twisted it off dunno if i did it proper but all what was left was a little hole left in the skin dunno if it removed the probe or whatever the orrible little bleeders use to attach/feed, what would happen if there is somert left in the dog????

• 2 weeks later...

My lurcher bitch had a tick in her ear last september and only noticed when she caught it on my hand as she yelped. It was quite large but have lost my tick extractor from the vet but used my old way passed to me by an old fellow ferreter in the 70s use fairy liquid neat on to the tick leave it for 5 minutes and gently pull it off with tweezers as it looses its grip. They come off complete and quite easy

• Like 1

My lurcher bitch had a tick in her ear last september and only noticed when she caught it on my hand as she yelped. It was quite large but have lost my tick extractor from the vet but used my old way passed to me by an old fellow ferreter in the 70s use fairy liquid neat on to the tick leave it for 5 minutes and gently pull it off with tweezers as it looses its grip. They come off complete and quite easy

I might try that when i loose my tweezer's NOT.. :D;)