Are Magpies Their Own Worst Enemy?

I’ve not been active on the magpie scene for a few months now due to other commitments, but after recently discussing with my neighbour Sue, the ever increasing local magpie population, we thought it was time to take appropriate action.

Once again proving magpies are their own worst enemy; I took one out from the top of Sues oak tree at 7.45 this morning, pegged it out on my lawn and half an hour later another one bites the dust. Pegged that one out too and a little later two more arrived, unfortunately I wasn’t ready for them and they had flown by the time I reached my vantage point.

From experience magpies are most active for a few of hours after dawn. I will leave the two decoys out and try again in the morning.

Regards, Steve.

I cant be doing with all this winged menace bollocks its bad education for young people coming into the game... we aint god it not for us to decide whats right or wrong maggies and jays are two of our most beautiful bird imo ive said it before.... control not eradicate.

kanny

bunny hugger!
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I awoke this morning to a congregation of magpies creating a din in my garden, with a lone magpie perched on my garden shed roof overlooking the commotion at distance. Living in a semi rural area I always have an air rifle close to hand for just such an event; and on this occasion the magpies where too excited to notice me open the slightly ajar window a little wider allowing me the opportunity to take aim with my MTC Connect mounted on the Air Wolf. Knowing the distance to the shed was 55yd from my bedroom window and with no time to re-focus the scope; I sighted the bird’s head up with two mildot holdover and let fly with a .177 JSB. The magpie rolled off the shed roof, hit the ground, took a few hopping steps before keeling over dead. The other magpies took flight and within a few seconds created a commotion around the dead one, a little later a couple of crows joined in for good measure. For the next couple of minutes the birds where too unsettled for me to take a second shot. As soon as they calmed down and started to dissipate, again one settled onto my shed, I could just see its head poking over the ridge of the shed roof, again with two mildot holdover I squeezed the trigger and saw the head disappear. Again this started a commotion from swooping magpies that descended from nearby trees. The birds soon left the scene and I was unable to take any further shots.

With my Saturday morning lie-in disturbed, I put on my dressing gown and ventured downstairs into the kitchen to make a cuppa. While the kettle was heating up, I went into the garden and wandered up to the shed in search of the magpie carcases. The first one I had shot lay by the side of the shed; I had to search for the other one, but eventually found it several yards into the farmer’s field. I picked the first one up and threw it into the field to join its dead mate. They will make a nice meal for the fox that patrols the area.

Regards, Steve

keep shooting them guys we will never wipe them out ! im gonna try tho

Why would you want to wipe out magpies?

They are a native species, they may be predators but they have a place. Numbers might need controlling but eradication is just stupid, we've already lost enough species because of idiots with guns. The last wild passenger pigeon in America was shot by a dickhead with a BB gun, why would you want the magpie to go the same way?

Lmao

Ffs that's me never shooting a magpie again

keep shooting them guys we will never wipe them out ! im gonna try tho

Why would you want to wipe out magpies?

They are a native species, they may be predators but they have a place. Numbers might need controlling but eradication is just stupid, we've already lost enough species because of idiots with guns. The last wild passenger pigeon in America was shot by a dickhead with a BB gun, why would you want the magpie to go the same way?

Calm your passion TT. Clearly an off the cuff comment.

:thumbs:

I was having a mooch through some woodland early one morning, when the silence was broken by a Blackbird voicing her disgust at a possible predator. I crept towards the commotion to witness the nest robber in action, 4 times the nest was visited, 3 chicks were taken.I am sure the last visit was just a recce to make sure nothing was left behind.I had the culprit in my sights but my hands were tied.It wasnt on the General Licence so I couldnt shoot it so it lived to rob again .Just as distructive as a Magpie and just as evil, but in its defence................ people like Woodpeckers. Funny old thing Nature.

• Like 1

Going to work one morning some 6 weeks back we had to stop to a red light, whilst waiting we,and all other waiting motorists witnessed a young squab pigeon being pecked to death by a single Magpie on the grass verge by the traffic lights.

Two or three people jumped out of their cars to frighten the Magpie away. Approx` 20 min`s later we returned along this road to see the pigeon dead, no Magpie, and nothing eaten off the pigeon. We see Black Bird chicks taken quite often like this too.

Strongly dislike Magpies. :censored: