Stoat X Ferret.

Although some members will be calling this bullocks or whatever, don't care. Probably never handled a real polecat-ferret cross.

The ferret- EU (wild) polecat crosses, at least the half crosses I've seen and handled, would be of no use ferreting.

They are nervous, fast, strong and fierce. The kill and hunt drive is more than I would like. Not a nice creature to be around. The 1/4 starts can be handy but you will be digging. The 1/8 starts to be of some use but still, generally you will still be digging quite frequently compared to a normal decent working ferret.

The jills can be pretty small in a 1/2 cross but the hobbs usually end up being gigantic. Both only usefull as breeding material, due to size and or character.

I imagine a stoat, mink or whatever cross (at least the half cross, and who nows if you will be able to get a 1/4 or 1/8) to be just as useless. Very interesting from a genetic point of view but ferreting wise, I'd go for a ferret from working parents and be done with it. Especially because of the big money some are asking.

The EU polecat crosses are just as expensive as ferrets from hunting parents are over here. (around 20-30 GBP) So if you really fancy one or a few, just take a ferry. btw: I don't sell them! The 1/2 jill I've owned was such a little dictator in my ferreting quarters I've rehomed her to a ferreting buddy.

Is £20-30 considered expensive??

I'd say so.

So would i for something thats not going to be much use or put many rabbits in the bag at the end of the day

suppose some want something to show off with like a European polecat :laugh:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought a ferret listed as a "X" breed..   Its got a bit of something else in it thats for sure.   I was first suspicious when it grew to 30kg and killed my girlfriend   Anyone shed some light

So basically if you keep breeding it back to a good steady working ferret eventually after many generations you get yep a ferret ,

The member on here rake about has all the exotic crosses a bit more expensive than a ferret but well worth it , but he dont like to talk about or show his extensive crosses off

Posted Images

You are right. But I do find it interesting. Most I could do is a 50-25% EU in a big run.... And that's not happening anytime soon. The working line of domestic ferret does the job nicely though, no need.

Is there a big difference between a eu polecat and a ferret? never seen an eu before

Although some members will be calling this bullocks or whatever, don't care. Probably never handled a real polecat-ferret cross.

The ferret- EU (wild) polecat crosses, at least the half crosses I've seen and handled, would be of no use ferreting.

They are nervous, fast, strong and fierce. The kill and hunt drive is more than I would like. Not a nice creature to be around. The 1/4 starts can be handy but you will be digging. The 1/8 starts to be of some use but still, generally you will still be digging quite frequently compared to a normal decent working ferret.

The jills can be pretty small in a 1/2 cross but the hobbs usually end up being gigantic. Both only usefull as breeding material, due to size and or character.

I imagine a stoat, mink or whatever cross (at least the half cross, and who nows if you will be able to get a 1/4 or 1/8) to be just as useless. Very interesting from a genetic point of view but ferreting wise, I'd go for a ferret from working parents and be done with it. Especially because of the big money some are asking.

The EU polecat crosses are just as expensive as ferrets from hunting parents are over here. (around 20-30 GBP) So if you really fancy one or a few, just take a ferry. btw: I don't sell them! The 1/2 jill I've owned was such a little dictator in my ferreting quarters I've rehomed her to a ferreting buddy.

So basically if you keep breeding it back to a good steady working ferret eventually after many generations you get yep a ferret ,

• Like 3

You are right. But I do find it interesting. Most I could do is a 50-25% EU in a big run.... And that's not happening anytime soon. The working line of domestic ferret does the job nicely though, no need.

Is there a big difference between a eu polecat and a ferret? never seen an eu before

They look much the same as a polecat coloured ferret.

So if these things do exist, how come we don't ever see a stoat coloured ferret sized critter... and anyway, what fecking use would one be...!!!

Absolutely none at all with regards to hunting bunnies Bosun mate, it's just this time of year we seem to get a new wave of members who try turning this section into an exotic pet forum.. I always thought it was clear enough what this part of the site was about where it says Ferrets and Ferreting at the top of the section in big letters..

Maybe we should get Ian to change it to 'Stoats and Minking' or 'Polecats and Weaselling'.. :hmm::laugh:

I bought two hob ferrets about 3 weeks ago supposedly 1/2 polecat whether that is true or not I don't know all I an say is that every polecat coloured ferret i've seen has had more of a white undercoat where as these are more yellowy colour. like a true wild polecat we used to see when my grand father had a chicken farm

I don't really care if they are 1/2 polecat im just after decent working line of ferret but they look more like one

atb bb

Two that i saw where different from a ferret its no just the colour they where a different shape a sort of body builder under the jacket and they knew it .

Is £20-30 considered expensive??

No, that's the normal price for ferrets from working stock over here.

Certainly, if you keep watering the polecat percentage down.

Edited by Bossie

I bought two hob ferrets about 3 weeks ago supposedly 1/2 polecat whether that is true or not I don't know all I an say is that every polecat coloured ferret i've seen has had more of a white undercoat where as these are more yellowy colour. like a true wild polecat we used to see when my grand father had a chicken farm

I don't really care if they are 1/2 polecat im just after decent working line of ferret but they look more like one

atb bb

I bought a small hob from melton mowbray auction when i was about 15-16 and after the sale (I bought it for a £1) the seller came over for a chat and told me it was 50% polecat too. I do believe it because it was extremely dark colour (almost black all over) and never acted like a ferret and it never seemed to tame down entirely and it gave me the worst bites I have ever had off a 'ferret'. Anyway apart from being small for a polecat it was every part a wilder ferret and it turned out to be useless for working.

So just to warn you, if you get one anything like mine you are going to have to spend hours and hours trying to tame it properly and when you think you are OK it might just turn and clamp to your hand and you will start again. I gave mine to a friend, I would seriously suggest you get rid of them and get ferrets to save yourself a lot of unnecessary bother if they don't do the job in reasonable time.

atb bb

I bought a small hob from melton mowbray auction when i was about 15-16 and after the sale (I bought it for a £1) the seller came over for a chat and told me it was 50% polecat too. I do believe it because it was extremely dark colour (almost black all over) and never acted like a ferret and it never seemed to tame down entirely and it gave me the worst bites I have ever had off a 'ferret'. Anyway apart from being small for a polecat it was every part a wilder ferret and it turned out to be useless for working.

So just to warn you, if you get one anything like mine you are going to have to spend hours and hours trying to tame it properly and when you think you are OK it might just turn and clamp to your hand and you will start again. I gave mine to a friend, I would seriously suggest you get rid of them and get ferrets to save yourself a lot of unnecessary bother if they don't do the job in reasonable time.

So if a hybrid is this much trouble, how much worse will a full polecat be? could it be that you simply was sold a bad apple?

atb bb

same here