Line Breeding

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would not have dogs bred any other way

All I will say is they call it line breeding when things go right but when things go wrong they call in in-breeding...atb

Its not a problem with line breeding at all its just a problem with breeding period. Nobody knows how the pups of any litter are going to turn out. So many things can go right or wrong when breeding

The problem with line breeding is knowing which dogs/bitches to use from within the family. Some look good on paper but don't click whereas others do; it can be a case of trial and error.

For my next dog I decided to think about what I like most about my present dog, look at his ancestors (their working style and temperament), find out where he's getting his plus points and buy a pup which is line-bred to that dog or dogs. It may work but than again...

The problem with line breeding is knowing which dogs/bitches to use from within the family. Some look good on paper but don't click whereas others do; it can be a case of trial and error.

For my next dog I decided to think about what I like most about my present dog, look at his ancestors (their working style and temperament), find out where he's getting his plus points and buy a pup which is line-bred to that dog or dogs. It may work but than again...

Its not a problem with line breeding at all its just a problem with breeding period. Nobody knows how the pups of any litter are going to turn out. So many things can go right or wrong when breeding and raising pups. All I know for sure is that if you have a nice healthy litter and one of them pups in there is a good un, YOU CANNOT RUIN THAT PUP. Folks that believe you can are simply wrong. If you ruin them then they were never meant to be in the first place. If you go completely out of your way and try like hell to ruin the pup then maybe just maybe it can happen but 99% of the people out there aint made that way. Ive seen it way too many times to believe that the good ones can be ruined.

But back to breeding. There is no problem with linebreeding, inbreeding, outcrossing, crossbreeding........its just simply breeding is difficult. There is virtually no science to it even though folks say that there is and any amount of science can be proven wrong quickly by anecdotal evidence. We as humans like to believe we are all knowing and all powerful but facts are we truely DO NOT understand "life" and we most likely never will.

• Like 3

You can pretty much breed as close as you want the first time, try the same again and there would probably be a problem or two.

John Wick bred brother to sister 5 generations in a row and never once had a single problem. He never had a super star either but not one problem and he had the money to do it so he kept every single pup in every litter and hunted the hair off them.

Dan I am a big fan of line breeding :yes: don't understand genetics much at all though :laugh:

Nobody does bro and I mean nobody.

i do i no genectics very well whats the prop brother