Half Gun / Full Gun- What Does It Mean?

Hi all i've been clay pigeon shooting for a while now but i'm looking to get into pheasant / duck hunting. I've been invited to join a local syndicate but i'm unsure as to what the terms 'half gun' and 'full gun' mean? Am i right in saying half gun means- if the syndicate has 10 shoots over the season you get to shoot 5 of those? And the price you initially pay- think it was £650- is one payment for all 5 shoots?

By half gun they mean a semi or pump action as it only has one barrel. They give you a discount to encourage people to use these as it gives a bit or variety to the shoot. If you have one with a black folding stock and agree to wear desert army camouflage you may be able to get an even better price :)

• Like 2

ignore the above lol yes your right if your shoot shoots 10 days a season then as half gun you would shoot 5 of those days and as a full gun you would shoot all 10, you would also usually be required to beat for a beaters day at the end of the season to repay the beaters for the hard work they put in to put good birds over you!

atb and enjoy it mate

ant

ps dont take a semi auto or a pump for gods sake lol :hunter:

• Like 2

:laugh::laugh:

Re' the question, yeah you're right. There's certain etiquette that goes with the driven game shoot too, such as beating for the beaters day in January (though many will make their excuses!) and taking a bottle of something along each day and tipping the keeper etc etc. If you know any of the guns, just have a chat with them as shoots can differ a fair bit with respect to what's expected.