New Season In France

15 minutes ago, fat man said:

Lozzer would you work your dogs without a locating collar on.I understand that blaise has to as its the law for some strange reason but why there is such a law is beyond me.would it not make more sence to put the dogs safety first and use a locater.I worked terriers for some years without but they we're not about at the time but soon as they came on scene I made it my business to get one. The whole point in working terriers is to reach them as quickly and safely as you can but by dropping holes all over not alone are you f***ing up a good earth but you are also putting your dogs life on the line. Every man to his own but I have more respect for my dogs than to put them at risk when there is a better way of going about it.

Yes yous are right too and for the reasons you said. Having a locater is a necessary , the always that chance and will happen thats needed and for safety of few things . I wasn't having a moan , just thought Blaise and his collegues was getting looked on as unexperiened , when the must have to been up against what most of yourselves have in one way or another and I don't mean digging holes all over the show ? 

• Like 1

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, fat man said:

Lozzer would you work your dogs without a locating collar on.I understand that blaise has to as its the law for some strange reason but why there is such a law is beyond me.would it not make more sence to put the dogs safety first and use a locater.I worked terriers for some years without but they we're not about at the time but soon as they came on scene I made it my business to get one. The whole point in working terriers is to reach them as quickly and safely as you can but by dropping holes all over not alone are you f***ing up a good earth but you are also putting your dogs life on the line. Every man to his own but I have more respect for my dogs than to put them at risk when there is a better way of going about it.

I'm going to hunt badger for three days with Best friends , with Brit dogs and without e-collar. Bye.

• Like 1

If anyone speak about one more time of locator on this thread, just one time, this will be the end.

I'm convinced that diversity is interesting, different ways of hunting is wonderful, that we have a lot of pleasure to discover who is hunting an other way. I'm very involved in hunting in France and this my life. I'm haven't any time to spend to somebodies who never hunted with me, who speak about my art by ignorance.

One more time, the end.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, Blaise said:

If anyone speak about one more time of locator on this thread, just one time, this will be the end.

I'm convinced that diversity is interesting, different ways of hunting is wonderful, that we have a lot of pleasure to discover who is hunting an other way. I'm very involved in hunting in France and this my life. I'm haven't any time to spend to somebodies who never hunted with me, who speak about my art by ignorance.

One more time, the end.

Don’t be soft, no need to threaten to end a thread due to a someone's opinion being viewed.

• Like 4

If folks can't just give up with their f***ing pride and opinions about locators and how a foreign hunter should bow to the British/Irish way then this forum will soon become poorer for it. Just f***ing accept it or lose another great contributor to this forum.

Blaise has been a bloody gent on here and yet folks are still telling him how he's doing it wrong. Even name calling now! Just accept it, even if you cant understand it. Or simply don't follow this thread.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, rob284 said:

Don’t be soft, no need to threaten to end a thread due to a someone's opinion being viewed.

When you're being called a dickhead and repeatedly told how your method is second rate then it's hardly soft to be running low on tolerance, considering his contribution to date. Folks just need to accept that these French lads do it differently.

• Like 7

There's a complete failure here by people to understand how others hunt, regard the hunt and the hunted animal.

At the end of a Stag hunt in Ireland (before it was banned)the Stag was ropped up and taken back to a park.

At the end of a Stag hunt in UK         (before it was banned) the Stag was shot as that was the most humane thing to do.

In France they kill it with a sword "because that's a more honourable death and the huntsman should be intimate with the stag when taking its life, to shoot it would be a dishonour"

They aren't obsessed with humane this or that, it's more about honour. We call Badgers pigs!  There's such a gulf right there between cultures that'll never square the circle.

We can't hope to comprehend them and they're respect for quarry and the hunt or it's honour where we are obsessed with our own honour tied up with a game terrier or a Bullx lurcher. Badgers are seen by most as something to disrespect while gaining FB likes and respect. That ain't the French way.

Why can't you be more like us Blaise????????

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

The French can't use technology to hunt  any animals, they hunt hounds without walkie talkies, just use French horns to communicate, even if hounds are going for a road etc.

If they were to used technology to hunt Badgers they wouldn't be able to defend that in France to the French public and would be more likely to be banned from digging.

Different mindset.

19 hours ago, Blaise said:

I can't sort this quote thing out ?,but lets just get one thing straight.I haven't once dissed anyone about their way of doing things or their dogs,i just said about the amount of holes they dig and locators and only got funny about it when blaise did.Let them do what they want,a good old do to some, but i for one would never do things their way if i had to or not and neither would most of you so off the high horses  eh..?

• Like 2

It would be a dammed shame if this thread came to an end due to perceived un-constructive criticism or advice. I can see the point regarding none use of locator kits but as has been said, not relevant because of French law. A more prudent question would be how many, if any, terriers are lost to ground during a season? Looking at the posted pictures of these French badger digging terriers there does appear to be differences in the way some on this side of the Channel did it. In the latter years of badger digging in England, to some, a digging dog could be recognised by the fact that it was missing half of it's face. If a terrier was in full possession of it's nose or lips then it hadn't been properly grafted. Cracker jacks in possession of dogs that they were not worthy of owning. To me, it seems like the French are doing it properly. Respecting their terriers, the badger and themselves.

Edited by eastcoast
delete
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, eastcoast said:

It would be a dammed shame if this thread came to an end due to perceived un-constructive criticism or advice. I can see the point regarding none use of locator kits but as has been said, not relevant because of French law. A more prudent question would be how many, if any, terriers are lost to ground during a season? Looking at the posted pictures of these French badger digging terriers there does appear to be differences in the way some on this side of the Channel did it. In the latter years of badger digging in England, to some, a digging dog could be recognised by the fact that it was missing half of it's face. If a terrier was in full possession of it's nose or lips then it hadn't been properly grafted. Cracker jacks in possession of dogs that they were not worthy of owning. To me, it seems like the French are doing it properly. Respecting their terriers, the badger and themselves.

That’s all well and good if your culling everything you hunt, but if your releasing game like people did this side of the channel, the stand off dogs will leave you with plenty of holes and not one of them successful. I respect a dog which doesn’t take any punishment but I also have respect for a dog that won’t move no matter what is thrown at them. I have even more respect for an animal that outsmarts the dog. Talking about those injuries on this thread is a bit careless as they can be sustained with legal fox hunting and doesn’t indicate that the dog has worked Badger. 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, rob284 said:

That’s all well and good if your culling everything you hunt, but if your releasing game like people did this side of the channel, the stand off dogs will leave you with plenty of holes and not one of them successful. I respect a dog which doesn’t take any punishment but I also have respect for a dog that won’t move no matter what is thrown at them. I have even more respect for an animal that outsmarts the dog. Talking about those injuries on this thread is a bit careless as they can be sustained with legal fox hunting and doesn’t indicate that the dog has worked Badger. 

Ok. I have fell into the trap of commenting on comments made on a THL thread in trying to help save it. This thread, which I find interesting. And as a result have ended up adding to the very sort of thing that the person who started the thread, and keeps it going, is getting tired of. How ironic.

• Like 1