New Season In France

Them saws do come in useful for the puddings you dig Neil ?. On a serious note I wouldn't leave the house without one of them poundland saws, I remember one fell out my pocket last season after a dig, I didn't realise till the next weekend, so after I'd been digging that day I went back to the dig I'd had the week before and backtracked my steps and found it, I was like Charlie when he opened the golden ticket?.

• Like 2

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

But f****d if I'd carry the 100 lbs around that some lads do. I dug a few times with a very good terrier man who'd carry a mattock and shovel in one hand and the the chain leading to a terrier or a couple in his other hand.

He'd have a small bag on his shoulder which carried a couple of nets, a torch, a finder and a bottle of water for the terrier in it and I've had 10 footers with this man just using these tools.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Apache... said:

Never seen a long bar with an axe head welded to it, looks like it could make short work of thick roots near the trunk, must get one made up.

Used one for yrs as a fencing contractor , and pick head welded inside a scaffold bar for splitting big rocks. Handy tools for some of the places local, lad came over from Germany few seasons ago brought me a mattock, axe head one end and small spade the other, another good bit of kit, get it out the truck and look like ragnar f***ing lothbrook or some berserker ?DSC_0193.thumb.JPG.32d7e466e1809e55d7c176c05b5d89f6.JPG??

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Apache... said:

Never seen a long bar with an axe head welded to it, looks like it could make short work of thick roots near the trunk, must get one made up.

We have one made up which stays in the van. They are great for busting up really hard ground and pulled us out of a bad spot a few times when we were getting nowhere fast with the usual tools. Good for a last resort. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Can I ask Blaise, why do you use the long handled roundmouths as opposed to the more conventional types?

Long handled round mouths ? Its usual here, I've some short ones too. When it's deep, we dig large holes. No problem with long handle round mouths.

2 hours ago, Apache... said:

Neil going back to what you where saying about getting attached to your tools I used the same spade for 15 years it was as sharp as a knife.

Have one here that I've had over 30 years. 6 new handles and 4 new heads in those years but it's still like new.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

Have one here that I've had over 30 years. 6 new handles and 4 new heads in those years but it's still like new.

Trigger's brush 

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My favourite shovel was a gift given to me by Glyn in 2001 when I was over with him. I christened it a week later when a terrier I was walking along a local river went into the river and went to ground in the riverbank. I ran home got the new shovel and dug the bitch with her game which I allowed to swim away. Last year the shovel broke on a dig but a friend fixed it and even sprayed it and it's better than ever. Like you Steve it should do me 'till I finally hang it up.

• Like 3