New Season In France

Is it not strange that these dens/setts have no stop ends, or am I reading it wrong and it's that the quarry will not go to them? Instead chooses to keep going round and round. Or is the dog not able to hold them there?

I have yet to come on a set-earth that has not at least 1 stop in it,especially concerning badgers[pre-ban] as they like to lay up in a nice bed of grass or such.I am not knocking Blaise's dogs,horses for courses but i reckon its the dog that is not able to drive-push the quarry into the stop.Years ago pre-ban if an animal was dug and released it would take a good terrier to get a result the next time it was entered to the same animal as it would not be pushed to a stop so easily 2nd time around and the terrier had to really work and presure it to get it in a stop,big difference in diging animals that are seeing dogs for the 1st time than an animal that has seen it all before,anyway them days are well gone now so we have to be happy with what we haveMe

My self and a mate dug a sett that had no stop end the nest was in the tube, it ran both sides of a ditch embankment about 15 feet long and went under the bank to form a rectangle shaped sett and the occupant new the score it was no more that 4 5 foot and we spent a good 3 hours or more at it.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

Is it not strange that these dens/setts have no stop ends, or am I reading it wrong and it's that the quarry will not go to them? Instead chooses to keep going round and round. Or is the dog not able to hold them there?

I have yet to come on a set-earth that has not at least 1 stop in it,especially concerning badgers[pre-ban] as they like to lay up in a nice bed of grass or such.I am not knocking Blaise's dogs,horses for courses but i reckon its the dog that is not able to drive-push the quarry into the stop.Years ago pre-ban if an animal was dug and released it would take a good terrier to get a result the next time it was entered to the same animal as it would not be pushed to a stop so easily 2nd time around and the terrier had to really work and presure it to get it in a stop,big difference in diging animals that are seeing dogs for the 1st time than an animal that has seen it all before,anyway them days are well gone now so we have to be happy with what we haveMe
My self and a mate dug a sett that had no stop end the nest was in the tube, it ran both sides of a ditch embankment about 15 feet long and went under the bank to form a rectangle shaped sett and the occupant new the score it was no more that 4 5 foot and we spent a good 3 hours or more at it.

What's needed then, a dog with an extraordinary set of skills, a baying type is at nothing here, and I doubt said dog could be dug to few times a week or even once a week. And what's to stop the action shifting 5 or 6 feet to the left or right leaving you to dig multiple times.

I could take you too place now very busy

First went there in the early 80's only a teen

Seen few dogs fail

Not deep place but very rangey and no stops what's sovever , seen different size dogs fail for different reasons

Nxt went too the place in 94 had small terrier hard for first two seasons but learnt bit of discretion became v good terrier only 11 inch too shoulder but very strong dog

Dare I say it but BN bred

Entered the dog at 8am dig the dog out at 10pm

Obviously the game was tiered it was first time themed stopped

And we were lucky heD taken hold and it was wedged in a part of the tube wich was like slightly v shaped

But not a stop

four people there that day all could vouch for what happened

Only been bk once about 8 year bk woods well over grown now and place doesn't look like been dug since lol

I know why hahaha

• Like 2

What's needed then, a dog with an extraordinary set of skills, a baying type is at nothing here, and I doubt said dog could be dug to few times a week or even once a week. And what's to stop the action shifting 5 or 6 feet to the left or right leaving you to dig multiple times.

It was a small tidy real hard black dog we used that day and he tried his best but got dragged about like a rag doll dug multiple holes and in the end blocked it off with a shovel,Id dig it again though any one can dig the handy ones.

I have yet to come on a set-earth that has not at least 1 stop in it,especially concerning badgers[pre-ban] as they like to lay up in a nice bed of grass or such.I am not knocking Blaise's dogs,horses for courses but i reckon its the dog that is not able to drive-push the quarry into the stop.Years ago pre-ban if an animal was dug and released it would take a good terrier to get a result the next time it was entered to the same animal as it would not be pushed to a stop so easily 2nd time around and the terrier had to really work and presure it to get it in a stop,big difference in diging animals that are seeing dogs for the 1st time than an animal that has seen it all before,anyway them days are well gone now so we have to be happy with what we have.
fortunately enough for you then . We have a earth . Call it iternity bank . It goes in a overlaped loop. No stop end . c**t of a hole but always holds 1. But there is holes with shorter stop ends than other this makes it easier for quarry to get out past the dog . Instead of a good long stop end. If you get me
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...