New Season In France

Fat man,

In my area, I'm alone to hunt badgers with family and friends. So a lot of badgers, I have to kill them.
In other places, they hunt a lot and don't kill a lot. Most of badgers are released, specially females.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

From the hunts i joined myself in france they did not really care if we used a locator or not but those who dug whitout did not liked to enter a dog into a deep set ,, but if we did whit a locator they where verry happy that we did just to clean out some set's

"...What happens if you get a cave in or dog goes deep out of ear sound and cant be located,would the locator not be usefull piece of equipment then.The point i am making is why put a terrier in unnesesary danger..."

I've read the history of Ullswater foxhounds. The great rescue of two terriers, called Badger and Butcher. Great, I love it. If I understood first one dead, second one saved. These guys could be proud.
They put terriers in unnecessary danger. Unnecessary things or actions are beautiful.

Not every cloud has a silver lining,and dont believe all you read.Them men could be proud as it was a hell of a rescue.Why do you keep drifting away from my question,WHY PUT A TERRIER IN DANGER WHEN THERE IS NO NEED TO DO SO.The ullswater rescue is history,past tense,we are moved on a lot since.Everyman to his own,if thats the way you enjoy your hunting then crack on and good hunting to you.

"...What happens if you get a cave in or dog goes deep out of ear sound and cant be located,would the locator not be usefull piece of equipment then.The point i am making is why put a terrier in unnesesary danger..."

I've read the history of Ullswater foxhounds. The great rescue of two terriers, called Badger and Butcher. Great, I love it. If I understood first one dead, second one saved. These guys could be proud.

They put terriers in unnecessary danger. Unnecessary things or actions are beautiful.

Not every cloud has a silver lining,and dont believe all you read.Them men could be proud as it was a hell of a rescue.Why do you keep drifting away from my question,WHY PUT A TERRIER IN DANGER WHEN THERE IS NO NEED TO DO SO.The ullswater rescue is history,past tense,we are moved on a lot since.Everyman to his own,if thats the way you enjoy your hunting then crack on and good hunting to you.
because it's illegal. He can enjoy working his dogs within the law, so why push the boundries and break the law
  • Like 3

I know there's a bit of a push on by the anti's over there to ban badger digging Blaise and I hope you's defeat them.

Regarding modern technology ? I refuse to use magnets when pigeon shooting and I also think electric callers are cheating as are night vision cameras etc. and using them IMO is an excuse for lack of fieldcraft.

But apart from the obvious fact that a locator will help you find your terrier easier the biggest benefit of them is that they are kinder to the earth or sett.

When locating by ear or bar digging several holes is unavoidable where as with a locator most of the time a lot less digging is needed.

I know it's the law over there but if I was over there I'd be suggesting to those in charge that we be allowed to use locators if we wished. When they first came in over here the old timers said they were unsporting too.

And, they definitely do not result in a worse standard of terrier because there's better terriers here now than in pre-locator days. Simple as that.

JMHO and I hope you's keep your freedom over there to work your terriers in the traditional ways.

Tell me this, is the Otter still on the quarry list over in France ?

The way I see it would be to fit a locator collar to the dog but only use it if all else fails and then it's deemed a rescue save the dog and give fox/badger best and let him run another day.

Yes, in French law, you are allowed to use collar in order to rescue the dog after the hunt. The game must be released.
But when the collar is on, it's a big temptation to use to find faster and hunt with.

I know there's a bit of a push on by the anti's over there to ban badger digging Blaise and I hope you's defeat them.

Regarding modern technology ? I refuse to use magnets when pigeon shooting and I also think electric callers are cheating as are night vision cameras etc. and using them IMO is an excuse for lack of fieldcraft.

But apart from the obvious fact that a locator will help you find your terrier easier the biggest benefit of them is that they are kinder to the earth or sett.

When locating by ear or bar digging several holes is unavoidable where as with a locator most of the time a lot less digging is needed.

I know it's the law over there but if I was over there I'd be suggesting to those in charge that we be allowed to use locators if we wished. When they first came in over here the old timers said they were unsporting too.

And, they definitely do not result in a worse standard of terrier because there's better terriers here now than in pre-locator days. Simple as that.

JMHO and I hope you's keep your freedom over there to work your terriers in the traditional ways.

Tell me this, is the Otter still on the quarry list over in France ?

The push against traditionnal badger hunting is strong. There's a political struggle on this subject.
Concerning dog's abilities needed, it depends from three items : what kind of quarry, what kind of place, what kind of search.
Some modern terriers are too tough to be used on badger in deep places. Too dangerous for the dog.
Here, there's no matter concerning holes. You have to clean the place after a hunt (delay 24 h).
A barking dog is less fighter, more barking, less wounds.
Concerning Otter, they aren't quarry but protected. Very few in France.
  • Like 2

because it's illegal. He can enjoy working his dogs within the law, so why push the boundries and break the law

But its not illigal,its just the way they go about it.

• Like 1

To us the french ways may seem a little mad I don't no many people who will drop a dog in then sit down for a meal and drink but thats the way they do it suppose we just have to respect ther ways

agreed. They're doing fine the way they're doing it. If he's happy to do it without a locator, who's to tell him he's wrong.
  • Like 4

having been digging in france there ways do seem abit un real but that how they do it so I say let them craic on atleast there supported in a big way and don't spend the day looking over there shoulder

• Like 6