New Season In France

I agree with fat man be terrible to loose a good dog over a few pound ,personally I'd always try locate the terrier by ear before turning on the box just to keep meself sharp lol

I think Blaise has said they are not allowed in France, maybe mistaken but think this is right and good on him on a top post and awesome pictures and stories

Cheers to you all

• Like 1

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

I agree with fat man be terrible to loose a good dog over a few pound ,personally I'd always try locate the terrier by ear before turning on the box just to keep meself sharp lol

Fat man, mr scent,

Difficult for me te answer you, because I dont speak english. But I would be clear on this subject.
Locate the dog without collar is became our prefered hunt. When you heard a little noise after two hours searching, it's marvellous.
The great problem for a terrierman is to have the right dog for the right job. If the job needs to be a bit noisy, you need a baying dog.
I think that locator may become dangerous for dogs. Those who hunt with locators have more problems than those who hunt the old way. It's a matter of dog selection.
With a locator you can use dog tougher. If this dog don't bark, you locate with the collar.
But if it's easier to locate, you have to dig out. Despite locator, two meters is still two meters.
  • Like 1
Saturday, we begun the hunt at 10 h morning, finished at 20:30.

2 hours searching, 8 hours digging for three badgers in same place. In that case, it's better to have a dog who's baying.

• Like 2

Fat man, mr scent,

Difficult for me te answer you, because I dont speak english. But I would be clear on this subject.
Locate the dog without collar is became our prefered hunt. When you heard a little noise after two hours searching, it's marvellous.
The great problem for a terrierman is to have the right dog for the right job. If the job needs to be a bit noisy, you need a baying dog.
I think that locator may become dangerous for dogs. Those who hunt with locators have more problems than those who hunt the old way. It's a matter of dog selection.
With a locator you can use dog tougher. If this dog don't bark, you locate with the collar.
But if it's easier to locate, you have to dig out. Despite locator, two meters is still two meters.

Blaise i done a lot of diging without locater and know exactly what it is like crawling about on the ground ear to the ground or the bar trying to get a mark on the terrier and we also used sounder-mixer type terriers back then.I am not trying to have a go at you or anything like that but to say that the locator is dangerous for dogs is silly as is those who hunt with locators on have more problems than those who hunt old school.The locator was and is the best thing that has happened regarding terrier work,it leaves the terriers job a lot safer and easier to a certain degree.We can now drop a terrier into earths that could not be done before without the use of the locator,big deep rangey places that you would not get a mark even with the best of bayer-sounders,just imagine how many terriers would perish to ground only for the locator,certain types of soil and you wont hear a terrier sound or hear or feel a bump and it may not always be deep.Ye have your own traditions and ways of doing things but my point is when you let a terrier enter an earth the dog is facing unknown danger straight away so why increase the danger by not sticking a collar on the dog is neglect with no regard for the terrier,jmho.

• Like 1

Have to agree there Fatman.

Anyone who uses the excuse that a locator is dangerous is doing just that, making an excuse.

Also IMO anyone who doesn't use one but says they're successful all or most of the time they're either using more than one terrier or they're using terriers in relays, like they did here years ago.

JMHO.

Fat man, mr scent,

Blaise i done a lot of diging without locater and know exactly what it is like crawling about on the ground ear to the ground or the bar trying to get a mark on the terrier and we also used sounder-mixer type terriers back then.I am not trying to have a go at you or anything like that but to say that the locator is dangerous for dogs is silly as is those who hunt with locators on have more problems than those who hunt old school.The locator was and is the best thing that has happened regarding terrier work,it leaves the terriers job a lot safer and easier to a certain degree.We can now drop a terrier into earths that could not be done before without the use of the locator,big deep rangey places that you would not get a mark even with the best of bayer-sounders,just imagine how many terriers would perish to ground only for the locator,certain types of soil and you wont hear a terrier sound or hear or feel a bump and it may not always be deep.Ye have your own traditions and ways of doing things but my point is when you let a terrier enter an earth the dog is facing unknown danger straight away so why increase the danger by not sticking a collar on the dog is neglect with no regard for the terrier,jmho.

Fat man,
Locator is able to reduce the time of search, it isn't useful to reduce time of dig.
If I want to hunt big places, I want a dog able to stay for a long time with badger. Such a dog mustn't be too aggressive. Consequently Barking dog is better for me.
I can dig slowly (I'm not the incredible Hulk), we can have a rest during the hunt, cool. No fear, no urgency. My hunt is legal, no problem.
Badger is a beautiful game, not a vermin, we have to be fair with him. So it's not a shame if you failed during a hunt. Too difficult, we renounce. Wisdom and humility.
Locator gives confidence, too much confidence, so hunters try bigger places or rougher dogs. They don't breed theirs dogs on the barking ability. Thus men lose the searching abilities, dogs tougher and at the end more dogs wounded.
It isn't so silly.
  • Like 9
AFEVST (french terriermen association) claimed locator's ban. Unfair and inefficient to protect dogs. It's the same for hunting with hounds, electronic devices or engines are banned. Just man-(horses)-dog-game.

In France, some of those who use locator for security, are tempted to use to hunt faster. Temptation to ease is strong.

If you are afraid for your dog, don't hunt.
  • Like 5

Fat man, mr scent,

Fat man,

Locator is able to reduce the time of search, it isn't useful to reduce time of dig.

If I want to hunt big places, I want a dog able to stay for a long time with badger. Such a dog mustn't be too aggressive. Consequently Barking dog is better for me.

I can dig slowly (I'm not the incredible Hulk), we can have a rest during the hunt, cool. No fear, no urgency. My hunt is legal, no problem.

Badger is a beautiful game, not a vermin, we have to be fair with him. So it's not a shame if you failed during a hunt. Too difficult, we renounce. Wisdom and humility.

Locator gives confidence, too much confidence, so hunters try bigger places or rougher dogs. They don't breed theirs dogs on the barking ability. Thus men lose the searching abilities, dogs tougher and at the end more dogs wounded.

It isn't so silly.

very interesting point of view. Cheers
Without locator, they use barking dogs and cautious.

But if cautious dog is too shy, it's failure. Like Neil Cooney said, some use more than one dog (2 or 3 together) or they use terriers in relay. I've seen a lot of teckels or fox terriers in France like these. A bit lazy and really smart. Owners are happy, rarely wounded, they hunt badgers each week-end during all the season.

Personally I prefer one dog for one hunt. I don't put two dogs together.

So I need dogs highly motivated, a little less cautious. Most of my dogs come from UK. And when they decide to bark , they are marvelous !

do your laws or guidelines say how you should enter young dogs blaise? Or is that upto you?

No guideline concerning young.
May be better to give to young dogs a real work for the beginning. Just my opinion.

What a sentiment.

nowadays in Ireland it's more common to hear young lads refer to Badgers, in a derogatory way as "Pigs" spitting out the word.

I'm not sure a legal sport like in France, where you'd hunt with skill and understanding a dog would hold as much attraction for some.

Bryan

• Like 6

Fat man, mr scent,

Fat man,

It isn't so silly.

very interesting point of view. Cheers

Just because a dog is bred shall we say harder-rougher does not mean it cant find-search in big places.What happens if you get a cave in or dog goes deep out of ear sound and cant be located,would the locator not be usefull piece of equipment then.The point i am making is why put a terrier in unnesesary danger.The locator has saved the lives of countless terriers since its invention and will no doubt save a lot more.I have every respect for the Badger as pre-ban it was the ultimate quarry regarding diging with terriers.On another note are you by law obliged to destroy each and every badger you dig as each write up seems to have pics of dead game,just curious.Do you ever work the wire haired fox terrier while diging or is it just smooth coated.

"...What happens if you get a cave in or dog goes deep out of ear sound and cant be located,would the locator not be usefull piece of equipment then.The point i am making is why put a terrier in unnesesary danger..."

I've read the history of Ullswater foxhounds. The great rescue of two terriers, called Badger and Butcher. Great, I love it. If I understood first one dead, second one saved. These guys could be proud.
They put terriers in unnecessary danger. Unnecessary things or actions are beautiful.