Shoud I Separate? Advice Needed

Hi all

I have two jills (at the most they are 2 years old) that have been well handled, I only got them a couple of months ago off of someone who had no more time for them.

I had a hob I'd borrowed put over them as they were in season when I got them and I did not know how long they had been in this condition, both are now in their 3rd week of gestation.

To my knowledge they have never been apart, my question is, do they need to be put in separated quarters just before their due date (or earlier if necessary) or could they "safely" be left in together?

As you can tell I've never breed ferrets before, I would have put a vasectomised hob over them preferably but the ones available in my area were fully booked up.

Any advice gratefully received, not to many taking the piss please, after all I do have feelings!! :cray:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hi all

I have two jills (at the most they are 2 years old) that have been well handled, I only got them a couple of months ago off of someone who had no more time for them.

I had a hob I'd borrowed put over them as they were in season when I got them and I did not know how long they had been in this condition, both are now in their 3rd week of gestation.

To my knowledge they have never been apart, my question is, do they need to be put in separated quarters just before their due date (or earlier if necessary) or could they "safely" be left in together?

As you can tell I've never breed ferrets before, I would have put a vasectomised hob over them preferably but the ones available in my area were fully booked up.

Any advice gratefully received, not to many taking the piss please, after all I do have feelings!! :cray:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: yea I wud separate them mate some ferrets will mother one and others kits but yea don't want all that lot in one nestbox really and best be on safe side cud eat them

There is a very good chance that the jills will happily rear the kits in one nest and not be too bothered about suckling each other's babies . There are possible draw-backs though.

One jill might turn out to a bit over-motherly and start pulling the other jill about as if it were a big baby every time she leaves the nest which would'nt add to domestic bliss and the tiny babies could get knocked-about in the process . Also one mother might decide to eat kits. This can happen if one or two babies are sickly or born dead and the mother gets a taste for infantcide . First-time mums can be lacking in child-rearing skills !. Separating the mothers also means that should one litter pick-up an infection you lessen the chances of losing all your babies . Another thing to consider is that as they grow and the weather becomes more more summer-like a big nest of kits can become unhealthily warm and sticky.

Rather than risk losing the lot and as this is your first foray into breeding I would go with nighthunter's advice and err on the safe side and seperate the jills as you don't know how they will react . Moving them a week or so before kindling will give them time to settle and get used to their new situation .

Lots of people have no trouble with community nesting but this is your first time and you and your jills will probably benefit from the carefull approach . Good luck

• Like 1

If you have the means then split them, But don`t fret too much if you can`t. I have seen plenty situations like this that have had no issues at all

If you leave them , keep an eye on them., You know your ferrets better than we do, so you make the call, I`m sure you`ll get it right.

so you couldn't find a vasectimised hob so you lined both jills that you've only had for twa months :blink: ffs

mr aboot, you feeling awright ??? :laugh:

f**k me I never noticed that ! well spotted

To the OP,, what the f**k are you breeding them for ??? don`t you reckon there is enough unwanted kits without just breeding for the sake of it ffs !

so you couldn't find a vasectimised hob so you lined both jills that you've only had for twa months :blink: ffs

To the OP,, what the f**k are you breeding them for ??? don`t you reckon there is enough unwanted kits without just breeding for the sake of it ffs !

Give the guy a break!!!!!!! He's already said that he couldn't get a vasectomized hob in his area and didn't know how long they had been in season for. In my opinion he did the right thing. What's to say that these litters are unwanted? they may have homes lined up. and not breeding for the sake of it.

All the best with your litters and hope everything works out for you.

• Like 1

Give the guy a break!!!!!!! He's already said that he couldn't get a vasectomized hob in his area and didn't know how long they had been in season for. In my opinion he did the right thing. What's to say that these litters are unwanted? they may have homes lined up. and not breeding for the sake of it.

A vac hob isn't the only way to bring out a jill, what about a jill jab.

Too many people on here lately doing stuff then asking for advice after the fact.

A vac hob isn't the only way to bring out a jill, what about a jill jab.

Too many people on here lately doing stuff then asking for advice after the fact.

Enquired about the jill jab, £50 each was the cheapest, £125 each the dearest, rang around all those with vasectomised hobs but all booked solid, in the best interest of the jills as I did not know how long they had been in season I made a conscious decision to put a hob over them, there are plenty of people after kits in this area so no trouble getting rid and any funds raised will going toward getting my own hob which I will have vasectomised.

Surely asking for advice is the best way to go rather than just blundering through with no regard for the animals welfare (which was forefront in my mind) and isn't that what forums are all about, sharing knowledge, and taking the p#ss to a certain degree, but not to berate people who after a bit of advice for the best of their animals.

thanks for all the tips, I will separate them about a week before as after sizing it up that's the way to go, cheers

• Like 1

For future reference to anyone who decides to purchase/adopt/rescue ferrets or any other animal. Please take the time to fully understand what their needs are and ascertain whether you can financially and physically provide appropriate care at the time it is needed, BEFORE taking them on.

While the fact of unnecessary breeding has been pointed out it is a refreshing change not to see the s**t nonsense harped i.e I've bred ferrets for 109 years now, jills have all lived 'til 16 and never brought them out of season. Atb.

• Like 1

For future reference to anyone who decides to purchase/adopt/rescue ferrets or any other animal. Please take the time to fully understand what their needs are and ascertain whether you can financially and physically provide appropriate care at the time it is needed, BEFORE taking them on.

While the fact of unnecessary breeding has been pointed out it is a refreshing change not to see the s**t nonsense harped i.e I've bred ferrets for 109 years now, jills have all lived 'til 16 and never brought them out of season. Atb.

We all have to learn from somewhere. And from what I've learnt is that trail and error is the best way. I've read a million books, threads, forums and watched enough videos on pigeon decoying to last me a life time, yet as soon as I got out in the field I had no idea.

And yes I think about financially thoughts about getting a pet is a good idea, but if someone offered you something for free and then another asked you to pay. What would you do? Like he says, there's plenty enough people we know through family and friends that would happily take the kits from us, but they sure as hell wouldn't want to buy some locally if we're giving them away. Similar sort of state of mind is it not?

We all have to learn from somewhere. And from what I've learnt is that trail and error is the best way. I've read a million books, threads, forums and watched enough videos on pigeon decoying to last me a life time, yet as soon as I got out in the field I had no idea.

And yes I think about financially thoughts about getting a pet is a good idea, but if someone offered you something for free and then another asked you to pay. What would you do? Like he says, there's plenty enough people we know through family and friends that would happily take the kits from us, but they sure as hell wouldn't want to buy some locally if we're giving them away. Similar sort of state of mind is it not

So, if someone offered a couple of free Pythons does the same logic apply? :laugh:

A dose of the jill jab that the vet opens will do about four jills, but it needs to be disposed of 24 hours after opening. I get in contact with my vet and have mine done on the same day as other people to reduce the cost to about £20. Otherwise, yeah, it will cost you £50+ to have it opened for one jill and then thrown away.

There should maybe be a sticky thread on this forum about jills in heat, V-hobs, jill jabs and chips etc because I hear about alot of people thinking they need to breed their jill to stop her from dying.

Edited by GreyRake