Small Deer X Greys

If you put a deerhound to a greyhound the litter would be even and you should know what to expect mate, when you put a first x to a first x then you can get what youse have a varied litter, I had a half x Beddy grey, 3rd generation half x she was nearly 25 inch and my first cross Beddy grey is just over 21, its just what happens when you put lurcher to lurcher even though the percentage is the same, you can get big small, rough and smooth all in the same litter, if you want 30 inch first cross that's the way you should go you can't really reproduce a first cross

That is a ridiculous statement. There is NO way you can say that if you breed a deerhound to a greyhound the litter will be even. So is that the case if you breed a collie to a greyhound or how about a beddy to a greyhound. I have put countless number of litters on the ground and I have yet to say anything that even resembled "even" in any litter I've ever bred.

1st cross deerhounds x greyhounds breed pretty much to type and you can be pretty sure of what you'll get. The blokes on here saying that their dogs haven't reached normal heights have also said that there's something else in the mix, which is where the big variations come from. I didn't think the dogs that you had over there were proper deerhounds, but were a deerhound lurcher type with lots of other outmixes along the way. That's where big variations in litters come from. Beddy x whippets are another dog that throws to type and you know what you're going to get from the outset. Other mixes, even first crosses, don't always have the same outcomes, there can be big variations in Collie x Greyhound litters and them Labradoodle things that are all the fashion chuck out all sorts of shapes and sizes in the same litter.

If there's no conformation in anything that you've ever bred then you need to look at your breeding plan. How can you even consider which dogs to pair up if you don't know what you're getting? Now that is a ridiculous thing to do.

Ya you're right I need to worry about breeding on conformation cuz we all know thats what does the trick. For serious?

I know I'm right. Deerhound x Greyhounds breed to type, so the litter comes out pretty "even". I know this and so do lots of other people that have actually bred them or seen a few litters. You said it was a "ridiculous statement" so you're wrong and are talking nonsense because you haven't got any real world experience.

You also said that you've put " countless number of litters on the ground and I have yet to say (I assume, you meant "see") anything that even resembled "even" in any litter I've ever bred." So you're saying that your breeding is hit and miss. If I've got it wrong, please correct me but it's plain for me and everyone else to see what you wrote.

Coming on here, all brash and arrogant, telling people that they're wrong, when they're in actual fact correct seems to me to be a way of attempting to prevent anyone from questioning you. I'll always question you, maybe I'll learn something or maybe I'll just confirm the fact that you don't know half as much as you pretend to.

Maybe you should defend your previous statement about I being a ridiculous statement and explain to all of the deerhound x owners and breeders how we've all got it so so wrong.

• Like 2

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know I'm right. Deerhound x Greyhounds breed to type, so the litter comes out pretty "even". I know this and so do lots of other people that have actually bred them or seen a few litters. You said i

LOL! Ya I hear ya, Im the sensitive type too. HAHA!

I'm being serious here now. Do you have any real life experience with these breeding thought and theories or did you just read a book or listen to some bullshit dribble that the varioud peddlar dog m

Posted Images

So do pure greyhound litters come out "even" too? Or is it just the magical deer x grey cross?

And I will say it again, it is a ridiculous statement. I have never seen a litter of any breed of any dog come out "even". All of the pups have had loads and loads of variation. This litter of hound pups are as inbred as you could possibley get. I will let you know how "even" they are here in a few months. The facts are they wont be at all even.

post-11299-0-19531300-1370440562.jpg

And to be honest kranky I agree with you 100% about challenging what others say and always questioning what they say if you feel you cant quite swallow what they are chewin. But I will also tell you that I am NOT being brash nor arrogant towards you in any way. I may come off a little that way but I assure you i dont have little man's syndrome and in no way shape or form do I believe I am better and or smarter or more worldly than you or anyone else for that matter.

I edited it cuz I cant spell for shit for some reason and yes earlier I meant "see" not say. See I aint perfect. HAHA!

Edited by Dan Edwards

Beddy whippets and beddy greys tend to do it too, it's genetics, I'm a genius but I'm no scientist. Maybe our ideas of what makes a dog "even" are different.

I agree with some of the stuff you say but you do have a habit of charging in and kicking everyone's opinions up in the air!! Maybe it upsets me because I've got a gentle heart and I'm sensitive.

Edited by kranky
  • Like 1

Beddy whippets and beddy greys tend to do it too, it's genetics, I'm a genius but I'm no scientist. Maybe our ideas of what makes a dog "even" are different.

I agree with some of the stuff you say but you do have a habit of charging in and kicking everyone's opinions up in the air!! Maybe it upsets me because I've got a gentle heart and I'm sensitive.

LOL! Ya I hear ya, Im the sensitive type too. HAHA!

• Like 2

If you look at a doxhope line they are bred to type ?? If you looked at my 1st cross doxhope dog chartpolskis bitch Lima , gibbo bitch and Trevor w dog. Bruce all doxhope all roughly same height look frame size but two different litters they are bred true to type

If you look at a doxhope line they are bred to type ?? If you looked at my 1st cross doxhope dog chartpolskis bitch Lima , gibbo bitch and Trevor w dog. Bruce all doxhope all roughly same height look frame size but two different litters they are bred true to type

much as i admire these types, i've been following this thread and have to ask as you only mention 4 pups out of maybe 16......there wasn't a dog that threw to the deerhound and went big? or a bitch that threw the other way and made 25"? were they all (the whole 2 litters) rough coated? ....was there much colour variety?......i think maybe the terms 'true to type' and 'even' would maybe be better swapped with 'predictable'

• Like 1

all our dogs were rough coated black in colour with white toes a tip on tail size roughly 26 " to 30"

i think they are stating that if you breed a deer with grey you get the f1 and the are similiar and you roughly know what to expect from a f1 ,as with beddy 1st xs

youcan say before they are born what you going to get with this type of 1st x ????

post-66703-0-67060000-1370453447.jpg

• Like 1

all our dogs were rough coated black in colour with white toes a tip on tail size roughly 26 " to 30"

i think they are stating that if you breed a deer with grey you get the f1 and the are similiar and you roughly know what to expect from a f1 ,as with beddy 1st xs

youcan say before they are born what you going to get with this type of 1st x ????

very smart and much like 'bruce'........but that's still quite a height difference..........and we're still only speaking about perhaps 25% (4 out of 16) of the two litters....i've seen smooth coated f1 x's......parti colours.......nervy greyhoundy types / laid back deerhoundy ones.......and your wording would seem to suggest you agree with 'predictable'

• Like 1

To be fair bird dog chartpolskis had the only brindle bitch out of the litter, which I was a day late in getting there or she would of been mine .and when I got there their were four blck dog pups all pretty much the same I just choose the one which wouldn't leave me alone! If you look at photo of charts Lima and my kieth only differents is colour and a big set of balls hanging out the back of my dog !!! Take a look at my kieth and Trevors dog and gibbo bitch you'd think same litter , read bill doxs book deerhound and longdogs you will see 4 siblings stood togeather all true to type and you would think all our dogs came from same litter so no the man planned and bred his dogs as close as poss to type !!!! You can spot a doxhope dog as you can a Platts type

this is my 1st of this x ive read bills book working deerhounds and their x's and the pics in there they all are similiar in looks in general i think people are talking about

their offsprings ,probably are predictable but so is the x as the % of smooths and parti colours are few and far between mate

i've seen many pics of bruce and his sister and agree totally that they're very alike and can see both sides of this, i've also read the book (many times) but i've also seen many different 'types' coming from f1 x's, i'm not for a minute saying a 32" dark coloured rough coated male is in any way better than a lighter coloured smooth 25" bitch or doxhope is better or worse a line than any other but i do know that you get them, maybe not regular or in every litter but they are there

Your most proberly right , bit like that couple who had that colour kid just a 1 in a million chance but it can happen !! I've bought a pup 10 month old now whip grey x deer grey though I try and get size down . Now at 10 months he is 28tts and smooth coated bit gutted as I was after a rough dog of 25 inch but I'm putting it down to the extra whip in breeding but the others are a right mix bag size and coat the joys of a mix bred dog