Rescue Dogs

if you are new to the game and looking for a dog to learn with I would recommend a dog that has had a few seasons under its belt that know what its doing. my first dog was a whippet collie grey and was about 5/6 years old when I got him and he has taught me most of what i know now.

Rescuing a dog seems like a good thing to do but its a big risk to take if you want to work the dog because if its a lurcher type dog in the rescue center in the first place there might be a reason why its there to start with. (jacked with previous owner)

Thats just my opinion but good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I'd say that you will learn less with a ready made dog first time around. Get a collie x pup and bring it on the same way you would a gun dog from day one and you will learn together.

Success is not a destination, but the quality of the journey

fair enough thats your opinion, but I can honestly say with the lack of experience I had when starting out I would not have been able to bring up a pup as well as I have done after owning that first collie x i have.

if you are new to the game and looking for a dog to learn with I would recommend a dog that has had a few seasons under its belt that know what its doing. my first dog was a whippet collie grey and was about 5/6 years old when I got him and he has taught me most of what i know now.

Rescuing a dog seems like a good thing to do but its a big risk to take if you want to work the dog because if its a lurcher type dog in the rescue center in the first place there might be a reason why its there to start with. (jacked with previous owner)

Thats just my opinion but good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I'd say that you will learn less with a ready made dog first time around. Get a collie x pup and bring it on the same way you would a gun dog from day one and you will learn together.

Success is not a destination, but the quality of the journey

fair enough thats your opinion, but I can honestly say with the lack of experience I had when starting out I would not have been able to bring up a pup as well as I have done after owning that first collie x i have.

Very valid point, I does depend upon what general experience with working dogs you have had before, and what support you have to call upon :thumbs:

• Like 1

got my brindle in my avatar no serious injurys into his 11th yr had him at 6months which let me change him to my ways. hes game and does a ok job for me but im not out 5 days a week hunting, he did enough for me. best 60 pound ive spent. best of luck in your search.

I help out at a dog pound assessing the various bulls that come in and there's been loads of lurchers come though recently to and some real beauties all with working marks on them,I love talking them out for "walks" and seeing what there about!!!

Some amaze me as to why there in there some are clearly pets but I've rehomed loads recently to very different homes.

Top tip say nothing about working them very few will entertain you as they think its cruel to "make" a dog work.......sigh!!!

I've a couple here I've taken on from others at a young age and they both needed alot of work to put them right physically but wow the rewards are excellent watching them switch on and develop,my GF has 3 rescues 2 are demons on big edible and the little beddy x whip wouldn't touch a rabbit if it laid down dead in front of him......point is you pick and take your chances :)

Good luck.

• Like 2

I have recently been seeing a fair number of 'rescue' lurchers, in the vets and various shelters etc. Some have been a wreck, but there have been a few that have looked very handy, fit enough, and been well mannered and responsive, clearly having undergone training, and what looks like 'in the field' training. I wonder why they are there? Some are probably just escapees, stolen dogs dumped etc.

I often find a good (basic) test to see if its been worked is to hiss as you walk past the kennel lol. Some of them are up on their feet and ready to go, others dont bat an eyelid lol. Obviously thats a bit tongue in cheek.

• Like 1

I have recently been seeing a fair number of 'rescue' lurchers, in the vets and various shelters etc. Some have been a wreck, but there have been a few that have looked very handy, fit enough, and been well mannered and responsive, clearly having undergone training, and what looks like 'in the field' training. I wonder why they are there? Some are probably just escapees, stolen dogs dumped etc.

I often find a good (basic) test to see if its been worked is to hiss as you walk past the kennel lol. Some of them are up on their feet and ready to go, others dont bat an eyelid lol. Obviously thats a bit tongue in cheek.

Exactly what I do to start with :)

Alot we have in are poor nick saluki x's possible jackers but after a bit of tlc good grub and a warm bed its amazing how keen they are in the field.

Learnt alot from these dogs and never right a dog off that don't want to work without getting well looked over properly first as most had underlying issues that wanted vet intervention.

• Like 3

I got mine from a rescue centre up North. She was found stray in Ireland approx 9 mnths old picked up by a well known dog charity and brought over here. Best £80 I ever spent! Game for anything, lamped with her in the first 6 months I had her and she was a natural. Great day time dog as well, always thinking although it does mean I have to be 2 steps ahead of her when I am on land w/o permission just walking. Not sure what mix she is (probably Grey/Whippet x Collie) but would appreciate any ideas (when I work out how to put a picture on here). Now 3 and has never given any indication of a difficult past. Brilliant hunting dog but causes a few funny looks when she comes with me on a local shoot day.....but picks up a lot better than some badly trained fat lab, and runners don't stand a chance. At the end of the day, its probably worth taking the punt as long as you aren't planning to make a living off it....

.....oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention....I agree that its probably not a good idea to talk the homing centre about working the dog. I didn't, but instead said how I wanted a dog to come running with me who could keep up :thumbs: . They were well happy with that an agreed that a lurcher would be a good fit!

plenty of lurcher rescues out there you will find loads 'do a google search '

see a few lurchers on preloved to....

just buy as young as you can more likely to recover from whatever its been put
in the rescue centre for, some are genuine and only there cus owner circumstances
have changed.

There was a post on here last week where a guy rehomed one in a bad way turned
out to be looking a good dog, surprising how they recover with some love

not in a position yet but hoping later in the year to get one myself def go wiith a rescue
but I have a life time of experience so i have a nose for a baden.....but if you have a little
common sense you should be able to tell...'but you'll never know if its a worker till you
try it ' at that point theres no turning back you have it for life and have to love it for what
it it ' I had a collie greyhound lovely dog but just didnt have that full on worker in her she
had a few rabbits in her time but could be a bit slow on the spot...the only thing she had the
killer instinct for was squirrels after one bit her , was a life long revenge lol

if I can be any help let me know, but everyone will give you slightly different advice as whats
one mans dog is not always anothers..i wouldnt buy a bull cross but can understand why
some like them..im a little oldfashioned beddy whippets are a nice first dog....collie x greyhound
/or wippet......there is a very nice hancock collie greyhound on lurcher link cant believe they still have it
id snap that up ..

best of luck

Lee

my mates wife worked in one and when a litter of neglected deerhound pups were taken in they took one on, she's very small probably down to the early neglect and has no killer instinct, easy fast enough but she runs alongside hares happy just to chase and play, she's also had her share of injuries including leg fractures whether thats down to bad luck, genetics or the poor start in life who knows. i wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of rescuing a lurcher but its a hard world out there if your gonna work it regular and after all their in rescue centres as someones reject / failure in a lot of cases. by all means rescue one as a pet or maybe even part time worker but if your gonna work it regular / hard there are better routes to go down. sorry if i sound negative just the way i see it. good luck whatever way you go

my mates wife worked in one and when a litter of neglected deerhound pups were taken in they took one on, she's very small probably down to the early neglect and has no killer instinct, easy fast enough but she runs alongside hares happy just to chase and play, she's also had her share of injuries including leg fractures whether thats down to bad luck, genetics or the poor start in life who knows. i wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of rescuing a lurcher but its a hard world out there if your gonna work it regular and after all their in rescue centres as someones reject / failure in a lot of cases. by all means rescue one as a pet or maybe even part time worker but if your gonna work it regular / hard there are better routes to go down. sorry if i sound negative just the way i see it. good luck whatever way you go

Lets face it if your intention is to work the dog hard you'd be getting a well bred pup off parents you knew we're doing the job and bring it up yourself knowing the animal inside and out BUT the majority don't work there dogs like that even on here so the thought of a companion/moucher and the thought of taking a unwanted dog on and putting some effort in to get a few runs in appeals to some and good on them I say,there must be thousands of very good dogs languishing in centres all over the country just waiting for a chance.

I will say though alot of these centres want you to jump through bloody hoops to be in with a chance of taking one of there dogs ie 6ft fences,mustn't work/leave the dog,no kids under 10 etc makes its hard for normal people to take them on.

Sorry lads should've explained, I'm not after a hardcore worker; my job (sailor) and the fact it'll be my first lurcher mean it won't be out and out hunter. The mrs wants a dog and I want to be able to mooch more than anything

• Like 1