Rescue Dogs

Never owned a rescue dog, but my admiration for those that are willing to give a dog a second chance. Unfortunately with the chop and change mentality of far too many along with breeding with no real thought the rescue kennels will continue to have a steady supply..........

I hope to rescue and exracer/lurcher, although my dogs stay out and many dog rescues won't rehome a dog if its going to live outside. Pity because I'd love to take one on!

It kind of worries me as to what I would do if it didn't work out though, I would hate to have to give it back...

Dont mention hunting, i would also remove hunting related books, artwork, camo clothing etc prior to their homecheck

Most but not all rescues are very anti hunting, partly because their staff are mostly bunny hugger/do gooder types and partly because of the atrocious way certain dregs of our society treat their animals and unfortunately some of those dregs are attracted to hunting so we are all tarred with the same brush

I've an ex racer that I'm trying to work with now. I'm still learning the ropes myself just as much as he is, and people will tell me I'm doing the wrong thing in wanting to work a straight grey, but he's come on a ton as a dog already. He was a nervous wreck when I got him but now he's a different dog altogether. For me that's as good an achievement as any. Hopefully with the help of those with more experience he has half a chance of learning a new job.

• Like 2

have you had any problems with rehoming centres regards hunting? or is it best not to mention? also are there any generic traits rescue lurchers may pick up? i.e timidness etc

Rescues tend to see people that hunt as the reason lurchers are with them in the first place because some pass the dogs from pillar to post, would be best not to mention hunting I think

have you had any problems with rehoming centres regards hunting? or is it best not to mention? also are there any generic traits rescue lurchers may pick up? i.e timidness etc

Some centres can be very sniffy with regards to working dogs. Those that work mainly with lurchers are more open minded. I'd keep it to yourself. All rescue dogs are different. And it depends on how the dog came into rescue, some are hand ins by the owners for what ever reason, others are proper rescue dogs. To be honest, some of the dogs are of no use as working dogs as they have been knackered by previous owners. If you know what your looking for, and do not have too high an expectation as to how quick the dog will turn around, and what you want the dog to do you should be okay. If you expect to be bang at it all season on testing game, then i'd go for a well bred pup.

I have been luck in that I have a good relationship with a local rescue, and have had good inside knowledge as to the dogs I have chosen. To date 2 of the 3 are working well at their various trades, and the other is a work in progress having only been here 5 months, but showing promise. I wil know by the end of next season

• Like 1

Before you do the whole rescue thing have a look through the classifieds section on here... Last time i checked there was a couple of adult dogs free to good home... im not saying look at them because their free more because there may be a mutt that would fit in with you and your circumstances better and rescues are often liberal with the truth where mutts are concerned

• Like 2

if you are new to the game and looking for a dog to learn with I would recommend a dog that has had a few seasons under its belt that know what its doing. my first dog was a whippet collie grey and was about 5/6 years old when I got him and he has taught me most of what i know now.
Rescuing a dog seems like a good thing to do but its a big risk to take if you want to work the dog because if its a lurcher type dog in the rescue center in the first place there might be a reason why its there to start with. (jacked with previous owner)
Thats just my opinion but good luck in whatever you decide to do.

if you are new to the game and looking for a dog to learn with I would recommend a dog that has had a few seasons under its belt that know what its doing. my first dog was a whippet collie grey and was about 5/6 years old when I got him and he has taught me most of what i know now.

Rescuing a dog seems like a good thing to do but its a big risk to take if you want to work the dog because if its a lurcher type dog in the rescue center in the first place there might be a reason why its there to start with. (jacked with previous owner)

Thats just my opinion but good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I'd say that you will learn less with a ready made dog first time around. Get a collie x pup and bring it on the same way you would a gun dog from day one and you will learn together.

Success is not a destination, but the quality of the journey