Hobs Or Jills- Pros And Cons

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one of each for me, usually the jill goes in first and if theres a stubborn coney left in goes the bigun

This is a subject I do not understand ;The need to take a jill out of season First let me say I have and use a vac hob to get my jills out but I have reared and used ferrets for 60 years and it is o

I'd disagree with both mate, I keep four hobs together all year round, and jills can be run with a vac hob, so stops them needing to be bred.   I keep a mix of jills and hobs, both because it provid

Weight, weight, would rather carry two medium size Jills on my back, that will bolt Rabbits, than two heavyweight Hobs,

But I also take out my vasectomized Hob on his own to give him a run, and keep him fit.

I like to work both but I agree about the weight you can feel the difference when youre carrying a couple of hobs.

Weight, weight, would rather carry two medium size Jills on my back, that will bolt Rabbits, than two heavyweight Hobs,

But I also take out my vasectomized Hob on his own to give him a run, and keep him fit.

I take four jills in my box my son takes the same its no a wee box of ferrets its all the nets spade and game bag full of crap that weighs the most

Not talking about heavyweight hobs more small to medium hobs.

• Like 1

Jills for me :yes::yes: Has for saying Jills need to be Mated.Nonsense.My last 2 jills were 7 yrs old and had never been Mated.They were in the Peak of Condition.Then some b*****d nicked one.I gave the other to a Friend who kept her until she died aged 9yrs.Never having been Mated.

• Like 1

Jills for me :yes::yes: Has for saying Jills need to be Mated.Nonsense.My last 2 jills were 7 yrs old and had never been Mated.They were in the Peak of Condition.Then some b*****d nicked one.I gave the other to a Friend who kept her until she died aged 9yrs.Never having been Mated.

Did you get the Jill jab like or get them taken out of season?

This is a subject I do not understand ;The need to take a jill out of season

First let me say I have and use a vac hob to get my jills out but I have reared and used

ferrets for 60 years and it is only recently that I started doing it.

Years ago there was no such thing as a Vac hob the operation was not known

also there was no Jill Jab .Ferrets when looked after well with good husbandry

lived as long as they do today.

I have read about the likly-hood of infection and I think the whole tail has

been started by Vets to get money

Sam

• Like 2

This is a subject I do not understand ;The need to take a jill out of season

First let me say I have and use a vac hob to get my jills out but I have reared and used

ferrets for 60 years and it is only recently that I started doing it.

Years ago there was no such thing as a Vac hob the operation was not known

also there was no Jill Jab .Ferrets when looked after well with good husbandry

lived as long as they do today.

I have read about the likly-hood of infection and I think the whole tail has

been started by Vets to get money

Sam

i agree you can just leave a jill in heat and they are fine, i have 4 pairs of jills and only breed 1 pair a year and the others just sit the heat out 14 years messing about with ferrets now and never had a problem.

I had a jill last summer that died on me when in season, she was fine eating drinking as normal then one day she didn't look her usual self next day dead.

whether this was down to not been brought out of season I don't know as the other jill was fine

I know have a vac hob I keep with my jills just in case

Just make sure her minge keeps out the dirt mate that's how they get infected

I am sure that this can be aprob lem .

I keep my stinkers on wood shavings both in the court

and the hutches .The floor has about an inch of shavings

The only prob I get is long claws but I solved that with

sticking a sanding belt to the ramp that keeps them

tidy

Sam

My biggest problem was come April you cant work the hobs and jills together as your jills are in season and the hobs are more interested in following the jills than bolting rabbits , , but working jills in season is fine just clean them when you get home

So you are saying ferrets are ok and you don't need to breed them they will go in and out of season. I will try this next year and I hopefully my Jills will be fine :hmm:

yep you just have to make sure they dont get too dirty down below and get infection. i have never had a problem and i think this is only internet rumour because i know of a few others that do the same and their is a few on here aswell.