Hmmmmm, faster isn't always better, and the .243 is as good a foxing round as any out there, i value the round so much that i got my tikka .243 s/s

built into a custom rifle when the barrel had its time done,

its a decision i have not regreted, and as a few on here who know me, have taken many foxes out to and over 400 yards at night,

with longest being just under 440 yards,

my prefered rounds fox fox are, 70g blitzking and 87g v-max. you won't get better if you homeload,

my 2p worth.....

Snap.

Agree with above, there are in my opinion better foxing rifles and better deer rifles but for a single rifle to do both you won't get much better.

Prey tell old chap, just what would you say was a better foxing rifle? bearing in mind a .243 with a 55 grain bullet will out perform even the esteemed .22-250,.220 swift, .204 ruger, collection, and will cost (with home loads) about the same to run, I agree on the deer part (large deer) although a .243 will kill any deer species in this country, and is still a favourite with many highland stalkers, but as a fox rifle, it has no peers,

Very neanderthal sir, too overkill for me, if there was a better foxing rifle than the .223 it would be in my cabinet :tongue2:.

I agree that .243 calibre of yours will take all UK deer species. It is especially favoured as I understand by a lot of the female stalkers :laugh::laugh:

Ahh yes you are correct, it is favoured by many female stalkers, as apposed to the 6.5x55 mortar round, the reason for this is quite simple, Women quite often don't like to overcomplicate matters by having to work out the gravitational pull of the earth and its effect on the LOOPING trajectory of a 6.5 :D and I hate to break it to you old boy, but there is a much better foxing round (2 in fact) that fire a .224 bullet the .22-250 and the .220 swift,have a look at the ballistics to see why :thumbs:

:laugh:

Looping trajectory it may have but its plenty flat enough up to 200 yards which is good enough for me, it has a better BC than your pop gun and a superb range of bullet choice up to 160 grn as apposed to your 100 grn

Yes your "varmint" round is fast but i prefer my venison not to look like its been punched through with the fist of iron man :hunter:

Anyway when you decide to get a mesters gun Im sure theres a few ladies looking for a .243 :tongue2:

All joking apart I wouldnt want to be a deer or fox at the wrong end of either of them :thumbs: