Roe. How Many Calves?

A friend of mine saw a calf quite close to the road the other day and off it went with the doe. He went to look at the spot and here are another three calves very newly born.

He left them to see if mother would come back and on returning a few hours later they were still there. He thought that mum had taken off with the oldest calf and left the others so he took two away. He returned a few hours later again and the last calf was still there so it went home as well. Question is. Anyone ever heard of quads before? I personally have seen three but this seems hard to accept.

The mother always goes back & looks for them, when safe.

We had several in the field last year when doing the silage, I spotted a doe jump up & off..... & I got out checked the area & found 3 fawns, I moved them over between some trees for safety , I watched the area all day whilst in the cab, eventually I went home & saw her wander back at dusk , combing the field up & down the area to find them. She returned every day until they were agile & all walked off to the trees.

It guts me to see them injured by the machine every year.

• Like 1

only ever seen twins from roe deer, but spent several days watching a water deer with five. she dropped them over a small field, about 30 or 40 yarsd apart and came back every evening when i was watching to feed them. dont know if she came back during the day to feed or not

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i would question this story for the simple reason that roe ,even when birthing twins will birth them apart from each other and ive never ever found more than one newborn in a squat .Its a survival thing so that if one is found the other may survive .When they are up and following they may sit together but bit early for that yet.Sorry mate but i dont believe it.Ive seen triplets a few times and its not that commen in my experience and can only be proved when the young are well up and following ..

I've seen three several times but never four... maybe I don't get out enough. I'd also say moving kids, let alone taking them away with some fanciful intention at rearing them is probably a death sentence for them. They stand a better chance being left where they are... unless they are in the path of the mower silaging in which case moving them to the side is justified.