It surprised me Stew , but my daughter and her husband have just bought a chocolate coloured one , and have been told several times that they are stupider and less tractable than the black and yellow ones .

It surprised me Stew , but my daughter and her husband have just bought a chocolate coloured one , and have been told several times that they are stupider and less tractable than the black and yellow ones .

nae doubt the ginger one will say im wrong but id say its pish mate.......... :yes: i guess if the dogs breed off show stock or just pet to pet then yes it will be useless............but no more useless than a black or yellow ones............ :hmm:

the only two ive ever seen on a shoot were as good as any..........but thats only two so ill hand over to someone with more experience on the matter.............. :thumbs:

Bullshit mate, a chocolate out of the same litter as a black pup isent going to be shitter just because of it's colour, like saying a chocolate pat is not gonna be as good as his black brothers simply because he's chocolate,

I've had a few try and tell me chocolate labs are shitter than their black/yellow litter brother/sisters and I just shake my head that a working dog man would say that

• Like 1

Bullshit mate, a chocolate out of the same litter as a black pup isent going to be shitter just because of it's colour, like saying a chocolate pat is not gonna be as good as his black brothers simply because he's chocolate,

I've had a few try and tell me chocolate labs are shitter than their black/yellow litter brother/sisters and I just shake my head that a working dog man would say that

That would be my view , I just thought there must be something different about Labs that I didn,t know about.

Are guide dogs from working lines usually?

I think they usually look like pet bred ones and the chocolate pet labs will have been bred just for the colour disregarding health and temperament IMO.

I would strongly argue that no difference in coat colour ability between black and yellow labs from working lines having trained both.

Chocolates on the other hand are a different ball game! How many chocolates have gained FT awards?, very few in comparison, they are more popular from show backgrounds, hence their reputation.

A good trainer can get the best out of most dogs but the job is easier if you are working with stock from a long line of workers, show dogs bred for looks only, they don't even teach them to heal properly !

• Like 4

I would strongly argue that no difference in coat colour ability between black and yellow labs from working lines having trained both.

Chocolates on the other hand are a different ball game! How many chocolates have gained FT awards?, very few in comparison, they are more popular from show backgrounds, hence their reputation.

A good trainer can get the best out of most dogs but the job is easier if you are working with stock from a long line of workers, show dogs bred for looks only, they don't even teach them to heal properly !

could be right there, go round most shoots, and its nearly black/yellow labs, and does seem more black than any other colour what ive seen. And i think alot of labs seem to be more of a sharper(vicous) temp today, than what they were 15 years ago, maybe some lines are worse than others.?