.223 Clean / Dirty Barrel

Deker is right,I set my gun up with a clean barrel, ie I take a cleaning kit with me fire a round let it cool, clean the barrel and go onto the next round,once its true i clean the gun and leave it,you know then every time you go out the first shot is true,which when you are deer stalking is what you want, and any second or third shot is not affected in any noticable way, then you always clean on return home,job done I do this with all my rifles and have never really had a problem,

If the second and third shot are not affected in any noticeable way , why clean after the first , why not clean after the 3rd ?

How many would it take before it did affect accuracy ?

Edited by Hawkeye.

If the second and third shot are not affected in any noticeable way , why clean after the first , why not clean after the 3rd ?

How many would it take before it did affect accuracy ?

Simple, in deer stalking you might only get one shot then not go out for another few weeks, so its important you clean your gun before leaving it in cabinet so it makes sense to zero you guns with a clean cold barrel however,should you need to use say a few shots it still dont make a noticable difference,so you can clean once back at the bothy, as unless zeroing, you wouldnt carry cleaning kit while out stalking,

I put just over two hundred rounds through my .223 before cleaning it the last time. I cleaned it out of guilt rather than a drop in accuracy, it was still bang on the money. Once cleaned I put five rounds of reloaded FMJ through to foul the barrel before shooting live quarry.

so having to fire a few rounds to settle the barrel in is bollocks then, it,s ok i was told when i get my 223 i will have to put a few through it first, which i thought would be a waste, can i zero it with the first few rounds then? or should i clean after every shot whilst zeroing, to give a reading off a clean barrel?

Mass produced barrels are not lapped (google barrel lapping) It is good practice to run a barrel in. You do not need to clean it while zeroing :)

I put just over two hundred rounds through my .223 before cleaning it the last time. I cleaned it out of guilt rather than a drop in accuracy, it was still bang on the money. Once cleaned I put five rounds of reloaded FMJ through to foul the barrel before shooting live quarry.

so having to fire a few rounds to settle the barrel in is bollocks then, it,s ok i was told when i get my 223 i will have to put a few through it first, which i thought would be a waste, can i zero it with the first few rounds then? or should i clean after every shot whilst zeroing, to give a reading off a clean barrel?

Mass produced barrels are not lapped (google barrel lapping) It is good practice to run a barrel in. You do not need to clean it while zeroing :)I

If i did that with the .204 it wouldn't shoot for shit. Well it probably would, just not to the usual standard.

It gets cleaned after pretty much every outing. With a Dewey Rod, Jag Patches, Shooters Choice, Pro-Shot Patches & Brush

Regular cleaning will result in easy cleaning, it really dosent take that long.

POI Is the same after Cleaning providing the barrel is clean - no solvent residue left on any part of the patch

I hate the various "pull through " and i cannot warn more against them! They do not touch Copper Fouling - all that clears is some un-burnt powder and just drags any old crap thats stuck in them through your barrel. Ive also learnt from personal experience that they can & will snap whilst inside your barrel!! :icon_redface: