Cannot Get A Decent Group .223

post-72459-0-44636600-1368719126.jpg

This a picture of the target I used last night. I was set up approx 100 meters away with no wind. The rifle was supported by a MTM Predator Rest.

The first four shots are the ones with rings around, this was when I aimed at the center of the target (small dot).

The next four shots were when I was aiming at the larger pink circle.

I didn't adjust the scope once, kept my breathing steady, the barrel was cool I'd say as I was walking between the target and rifle between every shot.

Is there any explanation for this? The rifle is a CZ 527 American, no moderator. The ammo are homeloads of 55gr FMJ and 25.3 of Reloader 15.

Many Thanks

attachicon.giftarget.jpg

This a picture of the target I used last night. I was set up approx 100 meters away with no wind. The rifle was supported by a MTM Predator Rest.

The first four shots are the ones with rings around, this was when I aimed at the center of the target (small dot).

I didn't adjust the scope once, kept my breathing steady, the barrel was cool I'd say as I was walking between the target and rifle between every shot.

Is there any explanation for this? The rifle is a CZ 527 American, no moderator. The ammo are homeloads of 55gr FMJ and 25.3 of Reloader 15.

Many Thanks

Before you go any further check everything is tight, ie scope, mounts, and bases,most of them rounds are up and to the right, thats if thats the way around the target was,are you left or right handed,? are you sure you were comfortable on your rest,you wernt feeling as thought you were reaching up with your back to keep the gun level,I dont know if its a wood stock or not but fold a peice of paper and slide it between the barrel and forstock,it should move unobstructed down to the breech almost,you say they are home loads did you set the bullet depth with a AOL gauge,have you tried factory ammo before,I supose the real question is has it ever produced good groups,or is it a new gun,

Next time I get a chance I will check everything is tight. Yes, the target was this way up and I am right handed and right eyed. I did notice for a couple of shots that I did close my eye in suspense for the recoil ( I have a rubber extender on the back of the scope so it blocks the light out, this is what kicks against my eye).

I may not have been completely comfortable as I was prone and have never shot from this position before. It is a wood stock and a piece of paper goes all the way up between the barrel and forestock. The loads were given to me when I purchased the rifle, it is second hand but hardly used. I have asked the previous owner if he had any problems with grouping - will wait for a reply from him. Although he did say at time of purchase that it was accurate.

Thanks

are you closing your eye as you pull the trigger you maybe pulling the shots but with the recoil of a .223 not be so bad it may not be that it could just be it dont like the load atb pal

Edited by b53hunt

Next time I get a chance I will check everything is tight. Yes, the target was this way up and I am right handed and right eyed. I did notice for a couple of shots that I did close my eye in suspense for the recoil ( I have a rubber extender on the back of the scope so it blocks the light out, this is what kicks against my eye).

I may not have been completely comfortable as I was prone and have never shot from this position before. It is a wood stock and a piece of paper goes all the way up between the barrel and forestock. The loads were given to me when I purchased the rifle, it is second hand but hardly used. I have asked the previous owner if he had any problems with grouping - will wait for a reply from him. Although he did say at time of purchase that it was accurate.

Thanks

Listening to what you are saying,it is more you than the gun [sorry ]why do you need to have the rubber extender on the back of the scope????I personally I would take it off,until you get used to fireing it,buy some cheap factory ammo and set your target much closer,say 50 yds if its going to go wrong it will show at that range just as well,take your time and prepare your firing site,get comfy relaxe make sure the rest is spot on,or fill a small bag with saw dust,and make one there may be a bit of adjustment to be made,but if it has been set up before this wont be a major adjustment,concentrate on your trigger pull if you are tensing in anticipation of recoil then you may allso be snatching the trigger, as you improve move the target further away,

Edited by 3175darren

attachicon.giftarget.jpg

Many Thanks

Homeloads you say, could be them at fault try some factory ammo to see what its like

Forget the FMJ's on live target's , use expanding ammo. Use up the FMJ's on target practice to get used to the trigger and correct technique.As above , buy some factory load's

Edited by Hawkeye.

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to consider. I fitted the rubber extender because when I put my eye to it I can see the whole picture, whereas if it's not on I have to play around to see the whole picture as in move my eye back/fore/up/down.

I am not shooting live quarry, and will not until I get this issue sorted. And I have a good backstop.

Thanks again for replies

has the scope got adjustable eye relief so you dont need to move your eye around for the sight picture? also if your closing your eye waiting for the recoil you may be flinch and not noticing or yanking the trigger. if your uncomfortable in the prone position pull your right leg towards the gun itll relieve any strain on your chest. also try ammo a stated to rule out a fault in the rifle. sorry if i repeated anything

One other suggestion if everything else has been tried and you're comfortable shooting would be the crown on the rifle is damaged or deformed.

If you're flinching at the thought of recoil, which isn't too bad on a .223, then without aiming at anything in particular, just the backstop, fire off a good few rounds so you aren't anticipating the recoil and get used to it.

Then slowly begin to vaguely aim, increasing your concentration slowly until you are happy to fire it at maximum concentration.

I have never used reloader 15 but when I am trying a new rifle I will make some trial rounds, find out what your minimum and maximum loads are then make up a few rounds of each grain for example if your minimum is 23gr and max is 26 then make a few at 23, 24, 25 and 26 fire these at the target and see which group best then when you have found this you can start to trial .1 grains until you find the tightest group, this will vary from rifle to rifle even if they are identical models.

Also make sure the bullet heads you are using are the right weight for the twist rate of you rifle, looking at your target I think they are as they usually fly all over the place if not.

I too would suspect the homeloads. A slight variation between the loadings could explain the difference in accuracy. As others have said, a few factory rounds would soon confirm or dispel this.

Not wanting to sound cunty and I may be wrong but from your posts it would strike me that you have little experience of using a cf rifle that being the case before you start worrying about the rifle, load etc I should get some one who has experience to shoot it for you then at least it rules you out cause no mater what anyone says the largest variable when shooting is the person behind the gun

Atb Dan

• Like 4