Right Handed Left Eye Dominant

Hi guys,

Bit of a weird one really but it takes us back about 15 years ago, when I originally started shooting, at my college I used to shoot 22 target and it was only today when looking at shotgun shooting that I remember shooingt left handed but I preferred right, however I got pretty good at shooting left,

Now 6 years ago I joined the armed forces and was hammered to shoot right handed, obv because out weapons are all right handed, I never really looked back after that point.

A little over a year ago I started rough shooting for the very first time, I only went a few times but majority of the time I stuck with my air rifle. Te club was great but I moved over to jersey in the Channel Islands and the shooting scene is very anti social over here.

Recently a 12g has come into my possession and I'm looking at doing a bit of shooting with it, mainly bringing it along with me and while I walk around use the shotgun and keep the air rifle for when I'm sitting down. It's also a different type of shooting which I think I will enjoy.

The problem I have is I am left eye dominant after looking at some YouTube tips when I close my right eye after I point at something my finger is bang on however if I close my left my finger is off the object, this making me left eye dominant... I think

Now the question is do I start trying to learn to shoot left handed with the shotgun and use the right for air rifles or start over?

Also is there anything out there to help me? I'm not a club man and don't want to go to my local clay club, one because I don't have the money to shell out for lessons and two I have had bad experiences with clubs over here before and don't want to get involved.

Are there and tricks or tips, where should I start? Does anyone else have this problem?

Im RH and left eye dominant. There are several ways around it. Stick a bit of tape on the LH lense of some glasses, or you can buy truglo sights which are supposed to make the RH side of the sight stand out more, or do like I do and thats to sqwint or close my left eye when im using the shotgun. You can keep both eyes open when walking about to spot the target, then as soon as you start to bring your gun up, close your left eye, which means your right eye will pick it up and you`ll be on target.

I do a lot of clays / sporting and it works for me!

Edited by jackinbox99

Hi Craig,

I am exactly the same, right handed left eye dominant and I do the same as Jackinbox, I keep both eyes open while I pick up the target then once I'm on it I close my left eye and sight it like a rifle, I've done this for years now and I don't even think about it anymore, it just happens.

Well just to be awkward, I am left handed right eye dominant, the only time I struggle is on long left to right crossers,and to get over it I partially close my right eye (if I remember lol) and it works for me,but also the advice about spotting the target with both eyes open and then closing one eye is also good,or you could just shell out and have a crossover stock made for your gun :hmm:

you can buy truglo sights which are supposed to make the RH side of the sight stand out more,

Only issue with those is that they make you want to look at the gun rather than the target.

IMO Best way forward is just to get into the habit of shutting one eye....or both when its going really bad :D

Edited by Ratsmasher