Trampled To Death ..........

Cows are even worse if there's a horse in with them , I'm don't mind going in with milkers even with sucklers but I hate going in with beef as imo there unpredictable

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I put up my post of Tilly's first day ferreting a fair few on here and other sites had negative posts to say about the dog moving the young bullocks away from us ..... Well a man was trampled to

My old collies knew the score......  

Seem to recall not too long back Moll getting villified on here for posting pics of her dog shifting beast.fickle auld place this.

Posted Images

wouldnt say i really worry as such about cattle, but am always careful, as the man says imake sure i can get out of the field or to a tree etc easily just in case. break my dogs to cattle as pups, and never keep them on lead, so if the cattle start kicking off the dogs tend to leg it away, and the cattle generally follow them and leave me alone. had a first cross collie grey a few years ago which was brilliant, just learned herself to set up a sort of exclusion zone around me whilst i was walking or around my equipment whilst ferreting, always about twenty feet, if a beast stayed outside this invisible line she would barely look at them but one foot nearer and she would fly into their face like a demon, but simply switch off again as soon as they had moved. i think that she got pissed off with them poking their noses in when we were ferreting one day, spoiling the bolts, and snapped at a couple, and from that she learned she could exert some form of control over them when she needed to.

• Like 1

There are a number of cattle on the farm where I have permission and it's certainly one of the reasons I favour pure kelpies over the lurchers I used to own. The farmer who bred my two bitches had a stud bull which terrified everybody who dared enter his field but every time their sire went in the bull was shaking in his boots.

• Like 1

i f***ing hate cows no matter what there sneaky c**ts at night i was out one time and 1 snuck behind me i had to jump a fence it wouldnt back off there dangerous in my eyes i was out shooting 1 day a herd came running over when they seen me i waved and tried to move them on i got few young bulls coming at me i took a shot in the air they still didnt move if i had my way that day i would of put 1 in its head so now i will not go in a field with cattle .a cattle farmer told me [BANNED TEXT] i was in his fields its not the dogs theyl get its u they will chase a dog knowing its going to run to the owner and id well believe it how many times wer u out in a field and ur dog gets chased straight to u by cattle

avoid young bullocks and cows with calves after all they have more right to be on the land than you do

good advice........... :rolleyes: but sometimes it cant be helped............ :victory:

Just read all the previous posts on this topic and agree, beef cattle are far worse than mikers, however, the majority of my permissions are on dairy farms and I get very little hassle from the stock TBH, I still think that horses are far more dangerous, especially the thoroughbreds etc.

Cheers, D.

post-10409-0-09330500-1368608790_thumb.jpg

post-10409-0-53245900-1368608802_thumb.jpg

4040089555.jpg

MacGregor

Published on 11/04/2013 08:18

A farmer was killed when he was trampled by a cow as he went to check on its calf at East Loanend Farm, near Horncliffe.

Father-of-two Kenny MacGregor, 53, was a well known and highly respected cattle breeder.

The tragedy happened last Wednesday afternoon when Mr MacGregor was attacked by a cow being protective of its young calf.

Police and paramedics were called just after 12.30pm but Mr MacGregor was declared dead at the scene.

A statement from the family said: “His wife Marie, son James, daughter Melissa and the rest of his family are all devastated by this great loss. They ask for privacy in order that they may grieve and slowly come to terms with this tragedy.”

A report has been prepared for the coroner.

Mr MacGregor’s career as a beef farmer began in 1975. He became self-employed 10 years later and steadily built his number of suckler cows up to 65, housing them during the winter in buildings rented from a family friend.

An NFU spokesman said: “This is obviously a tragedy for all involved, and our condolences go out to the family and friends of Mr MacGregor

“Long hours and stretched resources mean that accidents like this do happen in farming even when the farmers are experienced in dealing with livestock and understand the risks.

“The NFU regularly works with members to highlight safety issues and chairs the Farm Safety Partnership – an industry wide group working to raise awareness of farm safety and help reduce high accident rates.

“The Health and Safety Executive has guidance on its website on cattle handling which can help reduce the risks of dealing with unpredictable animals.”

Would a hard herding dog have saved his life? Or do these stockmen not have dogs about because they attract trouble?

Seems madness to me not to have a good dog in the truck/tractor/bike with you when working with such dangerous beasts....

Would a hard herding dog have saved his life? Or do these stockmen not have dogs about because they attract trouble?

Seems madness to me not to have a good dog in the truck/tractor/bike with you when working with such dangerous beasts....

ive only ever seen dogs working dairy cattle around here, never saw one working beasts perhaps its for a reason, perhaps not

ive only ever seen dogs working dairy cattle around here, never saw one working beasts perhaps its for a reason, perhaps not

id say the reason being is alot of working collies will move milkers but when there for moving beasts it takes something special :thumbs:

Cattle dogs need to know the score, and react immediately to situations, or they become a liability in themselves...Personaly, I would always prefer to have a good dog, watching my back,.at all times :yes:

File0097.jpg

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 4

Cattle dogs need to know the score and react immediately to situations, or they become a liability in themselves...

Personaly, I would always prefer to have a good dog, watching my back,.. at all times... :yes:

i thought thats why socks was with you......... :tongue2: