1 Kit Dead ?

iv just checked them tonight,as feeding time ect, distracted the jill, i found 1 kit dead,, im gutted theres only 8 left now, i already know somtimes this is normal but its a bit sad to be honest, the rest is ok and so is the mum, iv never touched them untill tonight do i get the dead one out ? im gutted to say the least ! iv been seeing the babies since the 2-3rd day the mum is 100 % eveytime iv had a look iv washed my hands, and rubbed them in hay thougherly, but never handled them untill tonight,, only the strongest survive i supose!

Sometimes the mum will detect that a kit has a problem and like any animal can not afford to invest resources, time, milk etc in a kit that is not healthy. Sad definitely but natures way of ensuring the fit and healthy survive. Hope all goes well and all the best :thumbs:

Who knows mate take it she had 9 to start with thats a big litter .There could of been something wrong with it from birth , the kills no got enough milk , Only thing for sure is i would remove it as any fly's will be laying there eggs on it

yep removed it now, mum doesnt seem to notice, shes getting really thin though, those kits are taking it out of her,, i think its quite normall with big litters that 1 normally dies as theyl all be fighting for the milk, and theres about to be 1 that gets left out ect, or like been said could of had a problem since birth, but still a nice good litter, all the rest are doing really well, nature i suppose,

when there roughly three weeks i drop the rabbit im feeding the jill on in the nest box the kits wont eat it but they will suck it , i reckon it takes some of the pressure off the jill

• Like 1

As said above the kit might of been born with a problem but aslo it could of got trappled in the beeding and sufficated. I had one die like that now I just stick to shavings.I'd remove them see might eat it and once she's had a taste she might want another one weird creatures ferrets.

Get some lactose free milk into the jill,will help keep her condition whilst feeding the kits :thumbs:

heard that before, but forgot until you just mensioned it, so thanks, il do that, :thumbs: cheers pal, atb foxtails

when there roughly three weeks i drop the rabbit im feeding the jill on in the nest box the kits wont eat it but they will suck it , i reckon it takes some of the pressure off the jill

i didnt have a good season at all this year, but have got half a rabbit left lol, will drop that in see what happens,, my best working jill might get a second or 2 rest, cheers for that though, all the info helps :thumbs: thanks the one, :yes: