Good Cheap Food For Ferrets

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

none of mine will touch dry food, but you look at the ingredients and they all have plant protein in them, so its not exactly the best for them. A localish butcher sells 500g bags of minced chicken ca

Meat meat and more meat ........

Yeah,I only have two ferrets atm and they are 9 years old,still healthy and working.They get good tucker lol.Just posted it to outline what was common practice here years ago,and it was the attitude i

I good time of year for them.. with flapppers - Brachers..

Dirty tho full of lice, I would freeze them first.. Had a bag full once whole bad was moving :bad:

ya cant beat a good dales crow! lice.... must be a southern thing :whistling:

He's more northern than you! You plonker!! Lol

bet you use typhoo tea bags you soft twat... i have yorkshire puddings and bovril everyday for breakfast :whistling:

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

none of mine will touch dry food, but you look at the ingredients and they all have plant protein in them, so its not exactly the best for them. A localish butcher sells 500g bags of minced chicken carcass, beef trimmings and liver for 60p, so they get half a bag of that in the morning that they soon eat as its soft, then I put a chunk of rabbit in the evening. Its got to be far better than that dry crap for them. Also I feed the hearts and kidneys from the rabbits too, So 9 ferrets cost £2 a week in meat and then they each get a egg yolk a week, so another £2. Its cheap as chips, and is far better than any dry crap. If you get out shooting and ferreting, why feed the dry crap to them? 

• Like 5

Same here one wholesale butcher will sell me boxes of chicken Caracasess with the wings breast and legs removed 50pence a kilo , another will sell what he calls bags of chicken bones for a pound for five kilos the scraps he removes from the chickens and as the carcasses go out of date he slices them into inch slices to stop humans eating them , Out a pound bag I can feed 12 ferrets for a week and the dogs can get two days worth of scraps in there meat , but I've still 150 ,200 pheasants in two freezers to last till I'm ferreting again.  . So all it costs me to feed my stuff all summer is a bit of planning and the elect to run three 6 foot freezers 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Bread and milk,the beauty being the shit goes straight through the mesh cage floor.Cheap too.Ferrets live a good year or two then die of gastro,but with ferrets at $20 Aussie dollars,who cares?

Thought you were better thsn thst.i hope thats an unfunny joke.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, ginger beard said:

Thought you were better thsn thst.i hope thats an unfunny joke.

Yeah,I only have two ferrets atm and they are 9 years old,still healthy and working.They get good tucker lol.Just posted it to outline what was common practice here years ago,and it was the attitude in those days.Hope I didn't steer any newbies the wrong way.I like my ferrets more than I like most people.

• Like 3

IMO we all think we have the answer, I still give this subject a lot of thought. Personally I give them a feed of mince beef in the morning and in the evening about 12 grams each feed for each ferret. This I do while they are in a run that's on the lawn with tubes box hammock etc, they can't run of to the nest box and hind it. If they go back in the hutch then I have a bowl of JWB or Alpha and after the evening feed in the run again a hand full of the same. I have never fed rabbit apart from heads when they where young and livers heart kidneys, they do get an egg once a week. The theory with no rabbit is I don't want them stopping on a kill and IMO it works, every body to their own. Mince beef is cheap if you wait for the offers and if is cheap it usually has quite a high fat content which ferrets need, I think is about 20% fat needed. I don't have a problem with dry as long as its not dry only.

This site is well worth a look not just for food but for sickness and well being. 

http://ferretinfo.co.uk/feeding-ferrets/4541939155

Cheers Arry

• Thanks 1