Evening out .

Called in to a patch of ground I have yesterday evening with hopes of a buck maybe .Took along young josh from this forum who is keen to the point of being annoying !.There is a couple of small tree plantations here which are a draw for the roe .The wind was totally wrong for this ground ,blowing from behind me as we walked the fields to the brow of the valley .Decided to try the left hand fields and glassed carefully at each hedge turn .Josh who was behind me spotted a deer lead out full stretch in the mowing grass [eyes like a p***y ],roughly 200yds down the field and just over the brow of a roll.The binos' revealed a young buck with a poor coat .Josh stayed back while I slid forward to get a clear shot ,eventually arriving at a vantage point.The buck was sat up now but oblivious to me .I bedded in for a prone shot and was pleased to see the buck rise to its feet and stretch .Cross hairs on the chest, puff went the 243 and down went the buck .It never moved so paced it out at 130 paces .Well pleased .

Carried it up to a gateway after the gralloch and headed down the right hand side .Didnt get far when we spotted a doe the far side of a hedge and down on a slope below us .She was joined by a buck who was obviously in an amorous mood as he followed her about everywhere .The doe headed off towards the bottem of the field and through a gate with her suiter and I thought this was the last we'd see of them .Josh had the bins and said she was coming back along the bottem hedgerow with the buck following ,neck outstretched and trotting to keep up .They went out of sight for a moment and reappeared on our side of hedge .Luck was smiling on us it appeared .The doe danced about a bit ,flirting ,and the buck then mounted her before she moved on .This time she stood for him and he was on again but very briefly .First time I'd seen this happen so we watched the couple for a while to see if he was up for another go but he moved off and lead down on a bank in the sun .The doe moved off and went back through the hedge making me less guilty about shooting her lover .Anyway ,another belly stalk of 100 or so yds got me to a tuft of sedge grass and the chance to asses the buck properly.josh came with me and I told him about the buck as he looked through the bino's.Deep russet coat ,heavy shoulders ,poor head gear for the age ,you know what I mean .Anyway the buck must have thought he'd better catch up with the doe and rose to his feet ,revealing a straight back and good hind quarters .A buck in his prime .No more time for whispers as he was looking hard in the direction of the doe and about to follow on .By this time I had managed a kneeling position and shot him off the pushed down stalking sticks through the neck .Dead on arrival again so went down to see him .98 paces .

A good solid buck .

fishingbowood011up9.jpg

Edited to say apologies for the poor pic [josh ]

Edited by foxdropper

Foxdropper, People, no, Deer carcass, yes, NO STALKING, NO MOVEMENT, unless the carcass stays on the land on which it was culled. Would advise that you take a closer look at what DEFFRA have to say on the matter, I could be wrong but i think you will find that the other 99.9% of uk stalkers read it the same as me. :hmm:

Foxdropper, People, no, Deer carcass, yes, NO STALKING, NO MOVEMENT, unless the carcass stays on the land on which it was culled. Would advise that you take a closer look at what DEFFRA have to say on the matter, I could be wrong but i think you will find that the other 99.9% of uk stalkers read it the same as me. :hmm:

Wooo, hold the front page, after everyone i know stopped stalking because that is what we were told we had to do, have just read the latest post on this matter on the stalking directory, and it states according to the BASC,s interpretation we can move deer ,goats and wild boar. WTF, :blink::wallbash:

Regards Confused MT.

I didnt like to say so ,but that is how I read it too .Defra are doing their best to stay away from the last fiasco which caused more knock on financial loss than letting the disease run its course. Hopefully it will be nipped in the bud and no great changes to our way of life .

Regards foxdropper.

Edited to say that Ive just phoned the game dealer and there is no change in our neck of the woods .

Edited by foxdropper