.22 Allowed But .17Hmr Not Allowed

Problem now over for you, great, but I'll comment anyway.

My force actively push for shooters to have the hmr and not .22 rimfire, citing tendency to ricochet as the reason.

.22 is proven to still produce deadly human force at over 400mtrs

hmr does ricochet, and hence probably further than a .22

That bloody comment about the .22 not coming back towards YOU BEGGARS BELIEF

My ticket renewed last Dec still lists both .22and 17hmr specifically for fox

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My guess is that your FEO has probably never fired any rimfire and does not have first hand knowledge. It may be that he is a shotgun man, or equally possibly has little or no first hand experience o

For god sake take the job lol. shooters in your area might get put on the straight n narrow without the migraines !!!

QUESTION it mate it's a condition NOT LAW, just becarefull how you word it, i did similar years ago and he didnt like me telling him his job much but i still got my way, i had both .22 and .17 even t

My force actively push for shooters to have the hmr and not .22 rimfire, citing tendency to ricochet as the reason.

Have you had ricochets come back towards you?

Hi

As for a round coming back at you? Once I had a lr round come back towards me when scoping up at 40yds or so. it missed me by a foot or two. Lucky because it still had enough energy to go through the tin sheeting on the barn side.never wish for it to happen again.i don't know what sent it back my way as I was in the meadow grass. Maybe a stone or something. Shit the bed came to mind.safe shooting

Atb

If you think it can't happen, this is quite sobering. A very lucky guy:

I once had a near miss with a .22LR fired by my friend.

Edited by Alsone

Totally confusing, with my open certificate I could shoot your two farms with any of my rimfires or my centrefire (25.06) . Is your FEO concerned by your lack of experience,if so why just on one farm? In your position i would call your FEO and ask him to explain why he is imposing this restriction and how long he intends to impose it . if he does not explain his reasons ,how can you be expected to remedy the problem. Good luck and remember you are simply asking for a reason that he should be happy to supply.

This is nuts! I've owned both and shoot both regularly for the past 3 years. Obviously both are dangerous in the wrong hands and a safe backstop is a must with both BUT imo the Hmr is a lot safer round than the HMR! The ricochets with 22 are crazy and almost every shot! I feel way more comfortable shooting the HMR than the 22. Sounds like your FEO hasn't a clue what he is talking about!!!

Hi

As for a round coming back at you? Once I had a lr round come back towards me when scoping up at 40yds or so. it missed me by a foot or two. Lucky because it still had enough energy to go through the tin sheeting on the barn side.never wish for it to happen again.i don't know what sent it back my way as I was in the meadow grass. Maybe a stone or something. Shit the bed came to mind.safe shooting

Atb

i was out with my lad early morning the other year, he shot at a crow with the rimmy, the motor we were in was parked adjacent to a 5 bar metal gate, he shot through the gate from the passenger seat, the round hit one of the gates railing came back and hit the motor, luckily only the wheel. shit the fook out of me i can tell you :laugh:

No, have you?, that was my point unless you are being cryptic??

It needs several impact point to create a 180 degree ricochet, ie, into a quarry or similar, or maybe you want to argue that too?

The danger of a ricochet is largely one of hitting someone outside the line of fire, not in front of it.

And yes of course I've seen that .50 video, only thing I can say is only in America

What YOU should be asking yourself is why have I had ricochets coming back at me, and as the 50cal video shows, they all do it it if you let them

Edited by cyclonebri1

It needs several impact point to create a 180 degree ricochet, ie, into a quarry or similar, or maybe you want to argue that too?

The danger of a ricochet is largely one of hitting someone outside the line of fire, not in front of it.

And yes of course I've seen that .50 video, only thing I can say is only in America

What YOU should be asking yourself is why have I had ricochets coming back at me, and as the 50cal video shows, they all do it it if you let them

Cor, chill out, I only asked if you had ricochets come back towards you?

No I haven't either because I haven't even got my FAC yet :thumbs:

Look, I'm not interested in any .22lr Ricochets so it is dangerous debates, but that comment above is BS, you need ONE impact point at the right angle to get a 180 degree ricochet, it happens all the time to Numb Nuts who set up poor back board stops at the wrong angle!

I'm not a party to this .22lr ricochets all over the place and HMR are safer crap, but hit your quarry and the chance of any ricochet is dramatically reduced! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

GOVERNMENT ORGANISATIONs!!

just like the tax offices.

think they can do what they want when they want like little hitler's.

I think they were just making it hard for you for what ever reason the decision maker had decided possibly based on what side of the bed he rolled out of that morning.

glad you got it sorted in the end.

Look, I'm not interested in any .22lr Ricochets so it is dangerous debates, but that is BS, you need ONE impact point at the right angle to get a 180 degree ricochet, it happens all the time to Numb Nuts who set up poor back board stops at the wrong angle!

I'm not a party to this .22lr ricochets all over the place and HMR are safer crap, but hit your quarry and the chance of any ricochet is dramatically reduced! :thumbs:

You should try shooting 22lr tracer and see exactly where your rounds do end up, i kid you not it can be frieghtening.

The other thing with is that a bullet only requires one inpact point to change direction and only needs several impact points if it is to travel a given route but i think you may find that the end point is rarely reached as the bullet energy is lost during the impacts.

You should try shooting 22lr tracer and see exactly where your rounds do end up, i kid you not it can be frieghtening.

The other thing with is that a bullet only requires one inpact point to change direction and only needs several impact points if it is to travel a given route but i think you may find that the end point is rarely reached as the bullet energy is lost during the impacts.

Yeah I found this a while ago on youtube.

Just look how the tracer rounds ping off the steel targets at all sort of angles.

Ok nothing back at the shooter but when the camera angle is reversed and you see the shots from the target end, then you can really see the ricochets off left, right and vertically. In fact the worst ricochets are from the ground alone at a shallow angle (as I mentioned earlier). That was how I nearly copped one from my friend, he shot a rabbit with a sub, it passed straight through, hit a stone on the path and ricocheted and passed over my right shoulder at an estimated distance of 3-6 feet - impossible to know as non tracer round - you could just hear the round as in .50 calibre video.

Decker is right in that every round is safe if used properly. But .22 does tend to ricochet more than fragmenting rounds such as .17 hmr.

Edited by Alsone