Harris Hawk Mews

yeah heard of boxing them overnight before as well, could be ok short term say you was visiting mates and going to hunt next day, but id likely go indooor boiw and hood if that was the case, likesay I know a lot bow out to moult, very much an each to their own, some say never see hawk in moult just chuck in food and be done with, works well for em, for me I like mine in semi open fronted mews, he actively seeks company at times and can hide away when he likes too, its a temporary one for this seaosn as I want oo see what he utilises etc before makeing one purposley for him, likeyiu said though pal once thye free lofted they rarely make use of given space lol mind I hear him early mornign backwards and forwards to perches in it, being that its semi open he can still see dogs and ferrets daily which I help keeps him amused and in touch with tham and us,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well thank f--k we all seem to be getting along again chaps,whatever method you use, one thing is clear, its too bleedin long until next season, that's for sure, must be the frustration causing people

I appreciate any help mate honest and i only retaliated over the attitude against it. Apologies to the lad but jus cud of been more helping advise rather than the dissing attitude. Im always up or lea

i kept mine tethered through the moult last year and had no problems with feather growth whatsoever. he is freelofted now but hardly moves from the same perch. personally i dont see a problem with it

Posted Images

im not one of those people bud (i know you said it generally not aimed at me) mines not in seclusion one side is fully open but i wouldnt say mine seeks affection but id rather him sit and watch the going ons in the garden like songbirds collecting sticks for nesting and the brothers and sister playing in the garden. he doest squark at anyone either as i put the food in at night so he never sees anyone feeding him, a mistake i made the first time i moulted him. ha drove me and the neighbours f***ing nuts

• Like 1

no not imprinted bud he is fully parent reared but its just through the moult if the birds sees someone feeding them they will call for food whenever they see anyone, it happens all the time there was one on here a few weeks ago. go onto the moulting section on the falconry forum and quite a few are beginners with the same problem during the moult.

Well I am all for each to his own way of doing things,but I have always leaned towards Martin Holinshead way of doing things,if the bird is tethered or freelofted,why not still have some contact with it,bow it out sometimes,the odd lure chase to maintain a bit of fitness, and when the time to hunt comes round again,there is so much less work to do,a drop in weight,some fitness training,lure ect then out hunting,I did it that way with my last female HH and had no problems at all,it MAY slow the moult down a fraction(although I did not notice this)but again I think it is worth it come hunting time,but as said we all have our own take on things,as an aside,a few of you will know I have been deliberating over which bird to get a HH or Redtail,well the decision has been made finally,on Saturday I ordered a male retail, due to hatch in a week or so,so that's it let the fun begin lol.

what you planning to fly the redtail on mate, always fancied one as a hare hawk, heard fully fit and motivated they are leathal and hard to beat on that quarry, be interesting to hear how you get on , malesplenty big enough for most stuff

To be honest he will get his chance at pretty much all quarry,Im not too bothered about catching hares, but if he takes the odd one that's ok,he is going to give the local tree rats a hard time,and lots and lots of lamping,and if the odd pheasant ends up in the bag I will be a happy bunny(no pun intended) and of course work with my mates springer and the ferrets, there is something I just love about the Neanderthal redtail attitude,and as said a good one is lethal. :thumbs:

i flew a mail last year great bird once they are fully fit,but if theres not enough prey around for them and you dont do your bit they easily get distracted,good luck bud, sorry should of said male

Edited by j j m

Yep I am looking foreward to it,I cant imagine a more horrid thing than an imprint redtail, so it will be parent reared all the way,I will just have to have that bit more patience than with a Harris,but I think it will be worth it, cant wait to hammer some tree rats.

Cheers mate, I went to see the breeder on sat, and he has two pairs, with both females on eggs and he reckons they are due in the next week,just an educated guess I suppose, as they haven't hatched yet we had a quick peek at them,bloody hell if my male has feet like either of his I saw I don't think a lot will be escaping lol, and yes we will get out mate, I will try and get out with everyone on here who has kindly offered to join forces for a hunt :thumbs:

Edited by charlie caller

Splendid idea mate the only problem I can see is whos got the best land for the job, I can imagine one or two of my farmers having a bloody heart attack if they saw a group out together, and the ones that would not mind don't really have enough quarry to support a field meet,but it would be a bloody good day that's for sure, and of course we would have to stay somewhere the night and get thoroughly pissed after its against the rules not to you know, lol :tongue2: