Ticks

:thumbs:

Surgical alchohol Not feking lager, jeesus

Look mate if you don`t like my advice dont take it, but I WILL continue to advise against dodgy ideas that are more likely to cause harm than do good,

Ok say what you like it works. I read it in a book I think years ago and one day I was at the allotment a women said she saw a ferret amongst the hens so I placed a trap down with some kibble that night I caught a silver hob.

He was full of ticks and I remembered reading about the alcohol and I had some Jack Daniel's so I put a small amount in a pot and got a small paintbrush and brushed some of the ticks and they fell off and died and then I brushed the rest and it cleared the whole ferret of ticks I have been using this method ever since. It does work don't just take my word anybody can try it. Atb :thumbs:

The trouble with putting Alcohol or anything else on Ticks to get rid of them is not wether it works or not. When you do this the tick regurgitates before letting go, same as if you grip the body of the tick. This then passes any disease that the tick is carrying to the host.

Get one of the approved tick removing tools like the O Tom, they are less than a fiver, easy to use, better for your ferret and you, and you don't have to waste good lager to get rid of your ticks.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

i just found 4 ticks on my nursing Jill. i managed to get 2 of them off from behind her ear but the other 2 are between her toes and are more difficult to get to. i am wondering if the frontline spray is safe to use on a nursing Jill with kits of 4 weeks old???.

if you can hold your ferrets long enough / still enough

I rub the tick round in circles 20 - 30 seconds later tick lets go and tries running away grab the fecker and bash it

vet showed me how to do it about 4 years ago when took my dog in for jabs and she found it

works a treat

atb aaron

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/236511-ferrets-and-ticks/

All the info you'll ever need about ticks and ferrets.. Yes there are other ways, I've removed them myself with needle nose tweezers before now, but you wont get a better way of removing them safely and easily than with the method and the tools described in that post.. :yes: The only thing I would add to it, is to make sure the living quarters were treated with an insecticide and left to air properly afterwards to prevent re-infestation.. :thumbs:

just buy a tick removing tool! as has been said less than a fiver and if you work your ferrets at all they WILL PICK UP TICKS, its not a once in a lifetime thing! mine get them all the time especially if i have to do any summer ferreting. i wouldnt dream of wasting perfecly good alcohol on a fecking tick and my ferrets are worth a dam site more to me than the fiver it might cost for the o"tom tick thing.