Help Please With Pellet Selection

hy guys,just got my first rifle, a prosport .177,love the rifle,it has loads of character and is finished to perfection,however how do select the right pellet and size?,is it just trial and error,is there a good starting point,i was given AA field in 4.51 but have noticed some of the skirts are deformed,if i try another brand of pellet do i have to line the barrel with lead from that brand at a cost of say 20-30 pellets before i would notice any differance,should i clean out the barrel between differant pellet brands,is there any point trying differant brands if the weather isnt constant say very windy,on thumbing in a pellet should i be looking for a tight fit or loose in the barrel,could anyone give 4-5 pellet brands with sizes that work well in a prosport,so i could order 50 or so of each to try,should i wash and lube pellets

sorry for dumass questions

regards nick

basically mate, try them all with no wind.

everything makes a slight difference.. E.G 4.51 vs 4.52 .. tight fit vs loose fit .. hard lead vs soft lead

yes you will have to re-lead between brands, and AA field diabolo 4.51 is a very good starting point.

and yes it is trial and error.

the joys of pellet selection....... :blink:

when you find 'the' right pellet tho, your rifle will never miss a beat and will match any pcp, if you can do your bit

good luck atb SKoT :bye:

Thanks skot so fifty pellets of each brand should be enough

one last question my rifle was built late in febuary this year and was previously owned albeit for 3 weeks,should i wait until its fully bedded in before trialing differant brands or will it be ok,i have put half a tin through it but i dont know how many or of what pellet the previous owner used

Nick

Thanks skot so fifty pellets of each brand should be enough

one last question my rifle was built late in febuary this year and was previously owned albeit for 3 weeks,should i wait until its fully bedded in before trialing differant brands or will it be ok,i have put half a tin through it but i dont know how many or of what pellet the previous owner used

Nick

50 is more than enough mate. 10-20 maximum.

dont you have a rough idea of previous use, 1000, 2000, 3000??

some say after 500 it will be run in, but im not convinced, id personally say between 1000-1500 to fully bed a rifle in...

for a 100% accurate pellet test accuracy result you are better off waiting untill it is fully bedded in, but even from brand new it shouldnt be THAT erratic..?

i think poor shooters use that as an excuse to bad shooting results.. a bad workman will always blame his tools.........

I am lucky my guns Seem to love Crosman Premiers! Apart from the Daystate, never tried them in that, but I have a lot of Prometheus Defiants in .177 and the Mark 3 Daystate seems to be like my last Daystate, the X2, it loves them...

Edited by secretagentmole