Coursing Dogs / Saluki Dogs On Deer??

5 hours ago, D Lloyd said:

Any one running coursing dog to bull grey back to coursing dog if so how do you find them

5 hours ago, D Lloyd said:

Any one running coursing dog to bull grey back to coursing dog if so how do you find them

not got one, but did see a pit x grey x salukix grey  line bred in the 80s , about the same time i had my 1/4 pit 3/4 grey , both wee good dogs on foxes,  good on rabbits, had few muncjack with them as well. suppose that drop of saluki , or coursing dog  give them bit more wind, but that 1/4 pit x 3/4 grey was not bad wind, and he caught his stuff quite quick ,  a drop of bull in a lurcher , will push that bit harder for you, and as you know your self with your old stuff you had ,  they been good dogs,

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think people need to remember if a man does his running from a motor his idea of a deer dog will be very different to someone that does it on foot

I used to have a coursing bred saluki x and by feck he could get you in trouble, he would spot them a mile away and they'd be dots on the horizon and if you didn't get to him he was gone. I remember o

We'll any you lad's haveing trouble with your Sal types breaking off hares or the dogs just becomeiong a pain in the arse for catching them reguarler! Just drop me a PM and ill take the shit off your

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bird said:

not got one, but did see a pit x grey x salukix grey  line bred in the 80s , about the same time i had my 1/4 pit 3/4 grey , both wee good dogs on foxes,  good on rabbits, had few muncjack with them as well. suppose that drop of saluki , or coursing dog  give them bit more wind, but that 1/4 pit x 3/4 grey was not bad wind, and he caught his stuff quite quick ,  a drop of bull in a lurcher , will push that bit harder for you, and as you know your self with your old stuff you had ,  they been good dogs,

Cheers ray,how's buck doing must be getting on now

9 hours ago, D Lloyd said:

Cheers ray,how's buck doing must be getting on now

yeh your right with Buck , he 8 in august , i am out every day with him couple hours , dont lamp like used to with him  , trigg  knows Buck had  few good seasons put  in to him, plus as well if you remember  he hurt his shoulder when he was 12 months old , i rest him for  3 days then lamp him the next night and he put in good shift  in , but stiff next day , but never stopped him working, but suppose that injury   would always  be there in him, he jumped of a steep bank  seen a cat or fox not sure what it was, as happened quick , he landed    heavy on his right shoulder , was about 8 ft drop  , small dog would have poss bust it wrist i think. He goes  in the woods by me get few munjack / foxes in there   , he loves it in there had few good runs in there in the day .you still got your big black dog think that was colliex bull x grey , or got it wrong lol , you after another dog then , saluki x grey x bull x grey x bull x grey type dog  suit you what you do i reckon . trigg got new  dog = bitch   it sounds like it be good lamp dog for him, hope it works out for him this season  with her .:thumbs:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

yeh your right with Buck , he 8 in august , i am out every day with him couple hours , dont lamp like used to with him  , trigg  knows Buck had  few good seasons put  in to him, plus as well if you remember  he hurt his shoulder when he was 12 months old , i rest him for  3 days then lamp him the next night and he put in good shift  in , but stiff next day , but never stopped him working, but suppose that injury   would always  be there in him, he jumped of a steep bank  seen a cat or fox not sure what it was, as happened quick , he landed    heavy on his right shoulder , was about 8 ft drop  , small dog would have poss bust it wrist i think. He goes  in the woods by me get few munjack / foxes in there   , he loves it in there had few good runs in there in the day .you still got your big black dog think that was colliex bull x grey , or got it wrong lol , you after another dog then , saluki x grey x bull x grey x bull x grey type dog  suit you what you do i reckon . trigg got new  dog = bitch   it sounds like it be good lamp dog for him, hope it works out for him this season  with her .:thumbs:

Time flys don't it mate.sal grey bull gre cesar.jest interested in the cross ray.glad you still getting some fun with him

37 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Herds of munty? 

I’d imagine someone’s just seen a field or a woodland with a good number of muntys present and called it a herd, not realising that they don’t intentionally herd like fallow, reds etc

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

I’d imagine someone’s just seen a field or a woodland with a good number of muntys present and called it a herd, not realising that they don’t intentionally herd like fallow, reds etc

I did wonder. 

38 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Well I never knew that not used to them round here I saw a good 6 in wood near enough to me not saying a location lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2013 at 09:57, Big bald beautiful said:

Seen several break off hares to run and take deer, infact a friend of mine gave away a good saluki cross because of this.

Haha I would have taken that dog off his hands lol

• 4 weeks later...

Caught a few in woodland but not many to be fair, and always seems to be within the first 50yds in to the wood.

A lot of large forestry blocks near me some good sport up and down the rides & valley bottoms but tend to find if the deer hits them with a bit of a gap on the dog it’s usually home & dry. (Pre ban)

5D854461-12C3-4763-9B25-5EA8E1177757.jpeg

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 3

From my limited experience, when folk talk about stuff like this, something like ‘heavy woodland’ is a subjective term. To me it would mean proper forestry blocks, close planted, or old growth deciduous, with no clearing, so it’s like a tangled maze. The kind of stuff you struggle to walk through, unless you’re on your hands and knees. Dogs do catch in it, but everything is stacked in the deers favour. Light and open woods or thick stuff with rides cut and clearings, are a bit different. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

Caught a few in woodland but not many to be fair, and always seems to be within the first 50yds in to the wood.

A lot of large forestry blocks near me some good sport up and down the rides & valley bottoms but tend to find if the deer hits them with a bit of a gap on the dog it’s usually home & dry. (Pre ban)

5D854461-12C3-4763-9B25-5EA8E1177757.jpeg

very true that above, more so with munjack, Christ  hit cover they just vanish in to thin air lol, but ive had couple in thick cover, the bigger the deer you got more chance i reckon , that looks great place for a mooch in the day, Buck love it in there , he think  he won the lottery  lol

• Like 1