Coursing Dogs / Saluki Dogs On Deer??

There are very few facts as clear as glass but you will find that a very capable hare dog if pointed REGULARLY at large deer  Will jack. 

That is a fact . No one is saying they need to resemble brock lesnar but you need that weight and height to bear or those big old cervids will just run them over . Those spindly little Salukis who can dance over the fens all day will pull the odd one but if used often , it’s different . 

A coursing dog  blooded to a good lurcher or bull type would be my choice 

• Like 2

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think people need to remember if a man does his running from a motor his idea of a deer dog will be very different to someone that does it on foot

I used to have a coursing bred saluki x and by feck he could get you in trouble, he would spot them a mile away and they'd be dots on the horizon and if you didn't get to him he was gone. I remember o

We'll any you lad's haveing trouble with your Sal types breaking off hares or the dogs just becomeiong a pain in the arse for catching them reguarler! Just drop me a PM and ill take the shit off your

Posted Images

2 hours ago, poxon said:

Wouldn’t be for me ray having a dog for one job Of that breeding tbh but be interesting cross. a lad in our click was on about if his bitch turns out any good Down the road he’ll go to a courseing dog as his land is big an has plenty of them fast bunnies kicking about 

that's just what lads was thinking 50 years ago where fast rabbits are  concerned, and look what that led to lol.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

I’d say one of the main reasons for areas getting hot is people putting the names of places on open forums like this for thousands to see.

Seen it loads on sites over the years never could get my head round why they do it or the point..

5 hours ago, dodger said:

Seen it loads on sites over the years never could get my head round why they do it or the point..

I’m the same, like those stupid coursing dvds. Telling the world exactly where they are. I always thought you kept your good spots to yourself.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, poxon said:

The subject was deer in general it didn’t specify on the title of the thread that it was just fallow or sika deer or out an out deer dogs. I was on about roe an muntjac As deer in general that’s still a achievement for such a small bitch of 21tts how many 21tts dogs do you know that are more than rabbit dogs. There’s no denying a dog/bitches capability’s if there dropping fallow or sika saying they need to be Say a set size weight hight would be foolish ability comes in all shapes an sizes were all here just giving a opinion on what we see as suitable because none of us can say as a set in stone rule it needs to be this that or the other. 

I see what you're saying Poxon and I have seen a small dog take roe and I mentioned fallow only as some of the earlier conversation mentioned them.

Personally I'd still try and choose a reasonably tall and strong dog if I wanted deer to be part of it's job. Over rough ground I believe a good springy saluki or deerhound type bounding stride makes for less injuries too.

• Like 1
On 06/05/2013 at 10:57, low plains drifter said:

Must be nice to live in an area where there is a variety of deer species to be seen,nothing but roe up here in the north east,must say though I reckon roe venison is a bit better than fallow for the cooking,what is sika like and what part of the country do you see them,I hear you have to go further down country than lincoln to see munty and cwd aswell,wish they would get their little rubbery arses up the road :laugh:

Munty are working there way up a few herds abouts in Leeds they seem to pass through every now and again no cwd tho 

39 minutes ago, Black neck said:

A good little un will always beat a good big un

I’ve always had better luck with a half decent size dog than a little un I feel to restricted with little dogs a good mid way between both will do what a big un an little un will do gives you more options than restrictions 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, poxon said:

I’ve always had better luck with a half decent size dog than a little un I feel to restricted with little dogs a good mid way between both will do what a big un an little un will do gives you more options than restrictions 

Oh I agree

7 hours ago, poxon said:

You get that off reader wife's ?? an just put the word dog in it lol

Edited by Bangersanmash
  • Haha 1