Coursing Dogs / Saluki Dogs On Deer??

34 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

What size is the dog c green. I’ve been looking down different avenues for something different to run as what I like don’t get bred much anymore. I’ve did have me name practically down for a coursing bred pup but unfortunately due to some very unlucky circumstances the breeding will not be able to happen. 

Ive got a young bitch on loan here at the moement.

Same father as that bitch u have on loan bitch was a fair bit better bred though.

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think people need to remember if a man does his running from a motor his idea of a deer dog will be very different to someone that does it on foot

I used to have a coursing bred saluki x and by feck he could get you in trouble, he would spot them a mile away and they'd be dots on the horizon and if you didn't get to him he was gone. I remember o

We'll any you lad's haveing trouble with your Sal types breaking off hares or the dogs just becomeiong a pain in the arse for catching them reguarler! Just drop me a PM and ill take the shit off your

Posted Images

I’m not really a saluki fan or do I have any thing at all against them there just not my bag but what I’ve seen an heard is a lot of people say is with Salukis there all different with how the breeding of them goes they all have different running styles an builds tbh I couldn’t see why a saluki or a saluki x shouldn’t do deer if it’s got the heart for it ??‍♂️ A mate of mine used to have a bitch that was 21tts not really a heavy built bitch at all fine an racey she was a proper bitza bred collie deerhound greyhound whippet that little dog was forever nocking them over with ease not really the type of dog that most would use for them or call a deer dog but the little dog had heart an a knack for dropping them in my eyes that was a deer dog it become the dogs profession 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, keepdiggin said:

Anyone ever pulled a deer in heavy woodland (pre ban ?)

Yep but not intentionally with a fast old 26tts collie x same bitch I’d ferret in the same woodland all my dogs were used to woodland running at one time 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

You need good keen dogs in your kennel I’ve seen coursing dogs 27 TTS strong but windy then I’ve seen 24bitch narrow anorexic looking that would go at out until it was brown bread 
The ones that a keen and game is the ones you want that doesn’t come with size atb

Sorry mate but i don’t agree with that , in essence yes drive doesn’t come in packages but for those bigger deers you need that weight to lean in  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, poxon said:

I’m not really a saluki fan or do I have any thing at all against them there just not my bag but what I’ve seen an heard is a lot of people say is with Salukis there all different with how the breeding of them goes they all have different running styles an builds tbh I couldn’t see why a saluki or a saluki x shouldn’t do deer if it’s got the heart for it ??‍♂️ A mate of mine used to have a bitch that was 21tts not really a heavy built bitch at all fine an racey she was a proper bitza bred collie deerhound greyhound whippet that little dog was forever nocking them over with ease not really the type of dog that most would use for them or call a deer dog but the little dog had heart an a knack for dropping them in my eyes that was a deer dog it become the dogs profession 

On the subject of mature fallow bucks though, I've never known of a fine 21 inch type animal able to take them down. Even sika stags are trouble for small finely built dogs.

• Like 1

All small dog will do is hang on back leg or give it a good ripping To back leg on the turn Seen small dogs hold on half a field small  dogs capable of Been known to pull  horses Never mind a deer 

41 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

On the subject of mature fallow bucks though, I've never known of a fine 21 inch type animal able to take them down. Even sika stags are trouble for small finely built dogs.

The subject was deer in general it didn’t specify on the title of the thread that it was just fallow or sika deer or out an out deer dogs. I was on about roe an muntjac As deer in general that’s still a achievement for such a small bitch of 21tts how many 21tts dogs do you know that are more than rabbit dogs. There’s no denying a dog/bitches capability’s if there dropping fallow or sika saying they need to be Say a set size weight hight would be foolish ability comes in all shapes an sizes were all here just giving a opinion on what we see as suitable because none of us can say as a set in stone rule it needs to be this that or the other. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, poxon said:

The subject was deer in general it didn’t specify on the title of the thread that it was just fallow or sika deer or out an out deer dogs. I was on about roe an muntjac As deer in general that’s still a achievement for such a small bitch of 21tts how many 21tts dogs do you know that are more than rabbit dogs. There’s no denying a dog/bitches capability’s if there dropping fallow or sika saying they need to be Say a set size weight hight would be foolish ability comes in all shapes an sizes were all here just giving a opinion on what we see as suitable because none of us can say as a set in stone rule it needs to be this that or the other. 

A lot of people very kennel blind. Get huge variety’s in all crosses.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

A lot of people very kennel blind. Get huge variety’s in all crosses.

you know as well as me if it’s not a 28tts an up line bred bull greyhound that looks like it’s been on steroids it’s incapable? I know a 24tts bitch that’s put a good few fallow to bed now if they’ve got it they’ve got it there’s no denying ?? Got a pup out of said bitch but in my hands it’ll not have a scratch on the dams capabilities 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, poxon said:

you know as well as me if it’s not a 28tts an up line bred bull greyhound that looks like it’s been on steroids it’s incapable? I know a 24tts bitch that’s put a good few fallow to bed now if they’ve got it they’ve got it there’s no denying ?? Got a pup out of said bitch but in my hands it’ll not have a scratch on the dams capabilities 

Think people need to remember if a man does his running from a motor his idea of a deer dog will be very different to someone that does it on foot

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 16
14 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Couldn’t agree more mate ??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, poxon said:

Beddy xs  have got bit of fire in'um, should thing bred back to a coursing dog,  you get decent deer dog?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

Beddy xs  have got bit of fire in'um, should thing bred back to a coursing dog,  you get decent deer dog?

Wouldn’t be for me ray having a dog for one job Of that breeding tbh but be interesting cross. a lad in our click was on about if his bitch turns out any good Down the road he’ll go to a courseing dog as his land is big an has plenty of them fast bunnies kicking about