Could It Work?

i have a toy owl thats in my attic from when i was a nipper and it looks pretty life like. so i was wondering if it could be used as a decoy for magpies and maybe crows. its not that big probably just a bit bigger than a little owl. probably a stupid question but you never know and ime not paying 50 quid or what ever an owl decoy costs :laugh:

Let is know how you get on mate, I've read about folks using them but have never actually seen them in action.

Incidentally, I've seen them going for under 20 notes in pet shops before so if it does work theres no need to get ripped off ;-)

Cheers, wurz

Get yourself a crow squarker. Put a bit of bin liner under the decoy, crow size.

Maybe a line of sting to make it move a little as you pull and blow your little lungs out.

Can't take credit for this but it's good advice that works.

However. You have to have a crow or two about to make it work.

• Like 1

No reason why it wouldent work as long as the eyes are evident, bought a flappy owl from blackpool air rifles for under 20 quid, drives em mad !

atb phil

Eyes don't have much to do with it. It's the outline shape of the owl that does the trick.

Set your baby owl decoy on a tree stump. or resting on a fence post, or Hawthorn branch; anywhere where a baby owl will be expected to be seen by Magpies and I'm certain you'll get a result. Used one myself for baiting Magpies over many years and it works. But keep well hidden and absolutely out of their sight or you might as well shoot the bloody deek!

Pianoman

Set your baby owl decoy on a tree stump. or resting on a fence post, or Hawthorn branch; anywhere where a baby owl will be expected to be seen by Magpies and I'm certain you'll get a result. Used one myself for baiting Magpies over many years and it works. But keep well hidden and absolutely out of their sight or you might as well shoot the bloody deek!

Pianoman

That's the way to do it. The only other thing I can add is pay particular attention to its elevation and location to the nearest sitty tree or fence post.

Over time I have found that, as is expected, corvids like to observe the owl from a higher position before flying down to mob it.

If you're in an open field place the decoy on the floor a few yards away from a fence post or hedge; it's likely they'll land on there so gives you a good chance to pace/rangefind the distance from your static position and prepare for the shot :thumbs:

If you ever shoot a corvid on another permission place it under your decoy to mimic a kill, they will go barmy! I find the best time to decoy using these methods are around nesting time, so anytime now and for the next few weeks

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 2