London Marathon 2014

I once ran in the same race as Steve Cram , didn't beat him though! As well as the distance stuff ,I also ran on the track, 3000, 5000, 10,000 and steeple chase and cross country. If you want fast times you need lots of speed work, you can do too many miles even for a marathon. There was a world class New Zealand woman, forget her name, but she was doing world class times on a maximum of 60 mpw. She would do speed work all week, which would add up to about 30 miles + the same distance in one run. At the time everyone else was doing at least 120 mpw.

can you remember the nos gallan midnight race --wonder if its still going

I remember it mate, never did it. I always wanted to do the man v horse race but never got round to it, one of my regrets. I did loads of races though, did the Robin Hood , Rutland water, did one along Offa's dyke, started at Hay on wye, that was a good one. I won a 10k on Cannock chase once, in 32 mins , I remember it because the trophy was awful, all my mates took the piss, it had an angel at one end of a wooden plinth and a kids trainer! at the other end.

They used to hold " Ride and Tie" races around Rutland Water - a few years ago now. 2 runners, 1 horse. Runner 1 would set out, runner 2 would ride the horse to check point 1, overtaking the runner, tie the horse, run to check point 2, where runner 1 would have already collected the horse, overtaken them and left horse at next check point etc. Thats how I got started running, and then doing running to keep me fit for horse endurance rides, where the more you ran alongside the horse, the better the time would be. Then the horse got too old, so I had to run by myself !

I once ran in the same race as Steve Cram , didn't beat him though! As well as the distance stuff ,I also ran on the track, 3000, 5000, 10,000 and steeple chase and cross country. If you want fast times you need lots of speed work, you can do too many miles even for a marathon. There was a world class New Zealand woman, forget her name, but she was doing world class times on a maximum of 60 mpw. She would do speed work all week, which would add up to about 30 miles + the same distance in one run. At the time everyone else was doing at least 120 mpw.

I remember it mate, never did it. I always wanted to do the man v horse race but never got round to it, one of my regrets. I did loads of races though, did the Robin Hood , Rutland water, did one along Offa's dyke, started at Hay on wye, that was a good one. I won a 10k on Cannock chase once, in 32 mins , I remember it because the trophy was awful, all my mates took the piss, it had an angel at one end of a wooden plinth and a kids trainer! at the other end.

:laugh: welcome to Wolverhampton :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hats off to you guys, I couldn't do it.. :no: I ain't built for speed or endurance! :laugh: The wife's uncle is into his fell running, I've seen some pictures, feck that! :laugh:

Yes its still going strong mate !!

Hats off to you guys, I couldn't do it.. :no: I ain't built for speed or endurance! :laugh: The wife's uncle is into his fell running, I've seen some pictures, feck that! :laugh:

I did a bit of fell running , Snowdon was a cat A fell race back when I ran, before the paths were improved. A pic of me coming down called "down hill runner " won a competition, it was me leaping down a big step, just me with a sky background. The Snowdon race is a 10mile round trip, my best time was 58mins to the top and 20 coming down, I always thought 20mins for 5 miles wasn't too bad!

I did a bit of fell running , Snowdon was a cat A fell race back when I ran, before the paths were improved. A pic of me coming down called "down hill runner " won a competition, it was me leaping down a big step, just me with a sky background. The Snowdon race is a 10mile round trip, my best time was 58mins to the top and 20 coming down, I always thought 20mins for 5 miles wasn't too bad!

That's not too shabby ! Even with the improved path I don't beat that !

Stig, what's the skegness six?? That's where I live.

dont know if its still goin ran it a couple of times but it would be late 80s early 90s used to go round the town 6 mile and finish near the clock tower ...

My mate done it this year. His time was 4hrs 15mins.......reckons he lost about 7mins due to crowds and having to go for a shite mile 16......... :laugh:

Stig, what's the skegness six?? That's where I live.

have a look on skegness coasters running club website be a list of races round you --- there used to be a lincoln grand prix --- 10k ,10mile ,1/3 marathon and half marathon , again dont know if its still goin its a while ago... :laugh: