London Marathon 2014

Did anyone put there name down this week. I have but I won't find out till October if I've been selected or not. It would be good to hear if any other members have put their name down, or ran it in the past.

ran it in 1990 when adt sponsered it -- i put loads of miles in training but still hit the wall at 24 mile the same year i ran nottingham sheffield and birmingham marathons with no problems ... london took us 7 mins to get over the start line :D last few mile you spend all your time running round people that just stop dead or are walking ...i packed up 92 after suffering with shin splints ... went on a stag do to spain got back on the fags and booze and gave it all bollox ..... i soon went from 10 1/2 stone back up to 14 :D

not the London marathon but me and some mates registered to do the Tough Mudder in October. Why I don't know :bad:

did one called tough man it was a killer 10 mile -- filey beach race half the course was in the sea :D garstang up the shore race went through a sewage works . the michellen 10 miler went up the m6 . raced round donnington and mallory park race tracks and slipped over on oil on the starting grid ....

Edited by the_stig
  • Like 1

I did it three times, can't remember the years, but remember one was Guilet , another was Mars and an ADT. My fastest was 2h 54mins. Did a few others Wolverhampton, Stoke ,Derby, some ultras, Lyke wake 43miles I think, South downs 80 miles + a few mountain races, Snowden mainly.

Nice one stig. What was your time for London, can you remember?

Nice one stig. What was your time for London, can you remember?

3-42 --- i got down to 3-20 the same year -- best half time was 1-23 ,10k was 37 mins . i used to runaround 6-6 1/2 min miles ...ran some interesting races the nos galan midnight race through the streets of moutain ash lit by beacons -- the snap new years eve race it was only 3k but you set off just before midnight the fast runners used to try and get in before midnight others used to use it so they ran in 2 years ...

Edited by the_stig

That's brilliant stig. Nice one. I'm just hoping to finish lol. I'm doing a couple of 10k this year and maybe a few halfs. I've put my name down for a triathlon too. No fast times though, just trying to get fit really.

I haven't done the London marathon , but iv'e done the Chester full and half , i also did the Snowdonia marathon last year and iv'e got my name down for this years in October , although at moment still trying to shed my winter coat !. Out of the runs iv'e done, Snowdonia is for me the most stunning and also hardest so far .I didn't hit THE WALL, i hit a f**king big mountain ! ,get your name down for next year you will not regret it .

That's brilliant stig. Nice one. I'm just hoping to finish lol. I'm doing a couple of 10k this year and maybe a few halfs. I've put my name down for a triathlon too. No fast times though, just trying to get fit really.

if you eat right and put the miles in you`ll be sound hardest parts getting out the door once your out and running you cant beat it ---i used to run with a mate who was in the army he was a great coach in 18 months i went from a fat b*****d 15 stone to looking like an athlete at 10 1/2 stone ...i joined a club even managed to win a few prizes i ran the majorca half marathon one year i was in the top 100 out of 1500 runners got a massive trophy sports bag socks t shirts hoilday vouchers and other bits for coming 89th :D best place was 9th at the parsons drove half i think i was 1-18 i forgot about that one won a few team prizes .. just got fed up with it but they where good times ran a few fun runs with the kids used to clock up 60-100 mile a week and i used to pull a race in on a sunday as part of my training ...

i used to like the robin hood half in nottingham and the skegness 6 dont know if there still going ....i think the best magazine at the time was todays runner is that still goin --- i followed charlie speedings marathon plan the best gear at the time was ron hills .. assic and new balance traners ..shows how long ago it was :D

Edited by the_stig

I once ran in the same race as Steve Cram , didn't beat him though! As well as the distance stuff ,I also ran on the track, 3000, 5000, 10,000 and steeple chase and cross country. If you want fast times you need lots of speed work, you can do too many miles even for a marathon. There was a world class New Zealand woman, forget her name, but she was doing world class times on a maximum of 60 mpw. She would do speed work all week, which would add up to about 30 miles + the same distance in one run. At the time everyone else was doing at least 120 mpw.

I once ran in the same race as Steve Cram , didn't beat him though! As well as the distance stuff ,I also ran on the track, 3000, 5000, 10,000 and steeple chase and cross country. If you want fast times you need lots of speed work, you can do too many miles even for a marathon. There was a world class New Zealand woman, forget her name, but she was doing world class times on a maximum of 60 mpw. She would do speed work all week, which would add up to about 30 miles + the same distance in one run. At the time everyone else was doing at least 120 mpw.

can you remember the nos gallan midnight race --wonder if its still going