New And Need Advice

Hi guys,

I am new to shooting, and i would like some advice on what people would recommend as a good gun to start off with. I will be looking to shoot rabbits mainly so would require something good enough for that, and one that will last.

would really appreciate any views and any suggestions, I am not looking to spend a lot of money to start off with so something reasonably priced until i am at a stage where i will progress onto something better.

cheers

Lee

Hi Lee , now don't take this the wrong way buddy , you need to do plenty of paper punching before you evan contemplate shooting live quarry . For one it's not fair to pepper live animals which will happen without the time spent getting to know your rifles capabilites and two you will get bored and frustrated when Mr bugs keeps limping off because of poor marksmanship.

Now I'm only going on what you've wrote in the post and it's by no means a pop at you personally, maybe the post could have been written differently ?

Regards

• Like 2

PIL has put it well there. you need to get to know the rifle you choose and you need to get to know yoursel;f as a shooter.

You need to give us a rough budget price and in the mean time while you are target shooting try and get yourself some permissions to shoot rabbits on when your confident in your ability

Hello mate, firstly welcome to the forum, and a new way of life! Firstly, what type of budget could you stretch to at a MAX, the reason I say this is you need to get as good as you can to start with, first off, springer, no doubt about it as it will teach you the art of shooting and get your muscles tuned early on. Also no air, no bottle needed just arm strength and away u go!

Another thing, with ur budget remember to compensate for kit as well as the rifle, camo gear etc etc is a must!

PIL is definantly right by saying lots of practice first, best thing is a plinking target , fun stuff like potatoes eggs, peppermints etc etc, after you have zeroed of course!

Try and see if there is a local club near by as that's the way forward!,

I take it you have permission already as your talking about rabbits?

Start watching YouTube, vermin hunters tv hunters vermin John darling country pursuits all very good channels where u can learn a hell of a lot!

Any questions just ask

Craig

Hi Lee , now don't take this the wrong way buddy , you need to do plenty of paper punching before you evan contemplate shooting live quarry . For one it's not fair to pepper live animals which will happen without the time spent getting to know your rifles capabilites and two you will get bored and frustrated when Mr bugs keeps limping off because of poor marksmanship.

Now I'm only going on what you've wrote in the post and it's by no means a pop at you personally, maybe the post could have been written differently ?

Regards

Hi mate,

The end result will be shooting rabbits, how ever i am not the type to just shoot them without killing them, i am a snake keeper and i couldnt feed any rabbits to any of my snakes when they are pumped full of shot. so it would be only when i am ready to shoot rabbits that it will actually be done. I just dont want to buy a gun and get a feel for it and once confident enough in my abilities then have to go and buy another gun that is capable of killing a rabbit. so would rather get something reasonable capable of doing the job in the first place. i should have explained a little more as i am sure there are those who havent got a clue taking shots at rabbits and pumping them full of shot.

• Like 1

Hello mate, firstly welcome to the forum, and a new way of life! Firstly, what type of budget could you stretch to at a MAX, the reason I say this is you need to get as good as you can to start with, first off, springer, no doubt about it as it will teach you the art of shooting and get your muscles tuned early on. Also no air, no bottle needed just arm strength and away u go!

Another thing, with ur budget remember to compensate for kit as well as the rifle, camo gear etc etc is a must!

PIL is definantly right by saying lots of practice first, best thing is a plinking target , fun stuff like potatoes eggs, peppermints etc etc, after you have zeroed of course!

Try and see if there is a local club near by as that's the way forward!,

I take it you have permission already as your talking about rabbits?

Start watching YouTube, vermin hunters tv hunters vermin John darling country pursuits all very good channels where u can learn a hell of a lot!

Any questions just ask

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thank you for the warm welcome, I have not set a budget currently, as i am mainly looking at what is on the market, and mainly looking for advice on perhaps a range of guns that would be more suited to a novice rather than someone that is experienced. I do have 34 acres to play with but i will not be shooting any rabbits until i am confident i am able to make the kill shot. As with pretty much any product on the market today there are good brands of guns and bad ones, so id like to know of maybe a couple of brands that people would prefer over say some of the forign brands etc.

Any advice would be appreciated

if the £500 is for rifle alone thats a nice start up budget, personally i would have a look at some wierachs and air arms see how the feel to the shoulder etc. you should get a nice gun for the money there and dont forget scopes.

good luck with the sport :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hw97kt more then enough to fill ya snakes bellys. Or if you didnt fancy a springer you could get a pcp setup with pump or bottle and scope for £500 im sure look private ie. gunstar plenty on there saying that are you a left hooker or right hander??

Sorry if I'm treating you like more of a newbie than you really are, but there is a couple of things that I think you should be aware of before you make your final choice of gun type.

As Craig quite rightly says, the best way to start is with a springer. You can buy a better quality springer (for example, an Air Arms TX200 or a Weihrauch) for the sort of money that you'd pay for a medium quality PCP. Should you choose to start off down the springer route, there is no doubt that it will stand you in good stead should you decide to buy a PCP at a later stage.

The downside to starting out with a springer is that the learning curve will be longer due to the simple fact that learning to consistently shoot a springer will take you much longer and make more demands on you, your time and your patience. But, as I say, should you decide to apply yourself and learn to shoot it correctly, what you have learned will stay with you forever.

However, if you want to be able to put 'pellet on pellet' at 35 yards within a few sessions of starting to shoot, then a PCP is for you. The downside is that there will be something of a gap in your shooting knowledge and experience that can only be gained by shooting a springer.

I think, in the end analysis, the route you take will depend on two basic things -

1. Are you in a hurry to be able to put pellet on pellet at 35 yards and so become 'qualified' to shoot rabbits in the shortest time possible?

2. Are you the type of person who want to know the in's and out's of a subject so as to be fully conversant with every aspect of it?

If (1) is you, then go for a PCP. If (2) is you, then go for a springer.

In some experienced shooters minds, if you choose to go straight for a PCP, then you will be missing the opportunity to learn from the ground up. Equally, there will be some shooters who will think that taking the time to learn to consistently shoot a springer is a waste of time and you should go straight onto a PCP.

Sorry to muddy the waters even more for you but I think the above is something you should consider carefully before making your first purchase.

Edited by PaulEamonn
  • Like 1

Draco, u definatly seem like your going down the right route, now to it it in perspective, I stepped up to a Pcp that a year and a half ago and all in all it came to near on 700 quid for a set up, realistically that is what you are looking at for a decent set up including the charging etc etc. now springer wise your looking at 300 odd for the rifle, and that's all you need. If I was honestly you I would look at something like an air arms pro sport or tx200. Hw87 are good too. People say springers are hard to shoot but realistically if you apply yourself and have a bit of patience you won't do too bad.

What I don't want you to do is do what I did and get something like an smk b19 £140 and learn very quickly that I can't shoot anything further than 25 yards because the accuracy just isn't there.

Is there any local gunshops near you?

500 is a lot to get yourself started and will get you a nice set up plus some camo gear.

Remember second hand is always a good option. I'm hoping that someone on here who lives near you may be able to help, I would love to but Unfortunatly I live in the Channel Islands haha!

The best thing to start now is research calibers .22 .177 you have to decide they are both as good as each other but its you who needs to make that decision.