Just Had My Fac Interview

I put down .17HMR and .223 but he said no chance due to lack of experience. He recommended a .22 rimmy to start with. I said fair enough on the centre-fire but my argument for the HMR was that the ground is full of flint and the .22 might bounce.

He said its almost not worth worrying about.He said even if you do get the odd flyer it will be OK because you wont be shooting anywhere near anything where this will matter (fair point). He would rather me have a .22 because of how flat the HMR shoots and if it missed a target it would fly alot further before coming down on its own accord.

So a .22 semi auto with moderator it seems..... Still pretty happy though. I'm on the ladder!!

He advised me to be known to put plenty of ammo through it a apply for the HMR and .223 in 6-9 months and he would give it the thumbs up.

Only one piece of land I submitted has been cleared so 2 land checks which should be fine for the .22 I reckon...

He said waiting times are about 2 or 3 months, maybe more if land needs to be passed...

Kent Police.....

he is talking rubbish imo he said the hmr is flatter so if you miss it will go further he said what rubbish. you should have told him well it wont because if there isnt a safe back stop behind i wouldnt take shot anyway.

• Like 1

firstly congratulations on getting your FAC. My thoughts were, if he didnt think that you were experienced enough. Why didnt he put mentoring conditions on your license? Secondly the ricochet excuse is in my mind is a load of bollocks because as previously stated, if there is no safe backstop then the shot should not be taken. I love the 22 rimmy but because of the ricochet problems i believe it to be one of the most dangerous rounds in respect of its unpredictability. On more than one occasion i have had a round go through a rabbit and bounce and I use winchester subs. I have never had a 17 bullet ever do that although on the very odd occasion i have had a ricochet. Im sure you will get your hmr in the future but in the mean time just double check where your bullet has the possibility of landing and be safe.

• Like 1