2 Rabbits Last Night

Went to a new permission of mine - an equestrian farm. I've wanted to try out my Scorpion T-10 with its newly fitted Webley Pro Tilt bipod and I also brought along my new Hawke LRF 600 range finder to help me out with these bunnies as they are quite hard to get within a sensible range of. Plus it was the first time using the new BSA blue mag in my T-10.

I started out by testing some 177 bisley mags and jsb heavies for accuracy to see if I could get better than the 4.52 aa fields and crosman premiers I normally use. Well the jsb heavies outperformed the bis mags and were very impressive . I like heavy 177s as I find they hit harder and the jsbs are a little lighter than the biz mags and crosman premiers and appear to flight flatter than both. They also shoot the highest fpe of any pellet I've tested and there's been a lot. They measure consistently at 11.63fpe on average.

I fine tuned my zero at 35 with the jsbs and produced a tight clover shaped group and then I ranged out to 45 yards, used one mil dot holdover and produced the 1p sized group below. Slightly better than the crosmans at this range so I think I will be dropping the premiers now in favour of these. I carried on getting to know my hold under at closer ranges/ holdover out to 60 yards which needed 2 1/2 mildots holdover. I even produced a nice 3 shot group at 60 - I wanted to do 5 shots, but saw some walkers in the distance walking in the land next door towards my position. My permission is private land but didn't fancy drawing any attention to myself as the land is quite open and as it's couple of hundred acres in size, I decided to pack up and carry on to another part of the permission.

On the way I spotted the big rabbit way away and spotted it with my rangefinder. I stalked along the stoney track, keeping close to the tree line. I got within 70yards and the rabbit started getting spooky. It started running towards the fence in front of me so actually closed the distance. I stalked some more, dropped to the ground and ranged it at 55 yards. A little further than I like to shoot but as there was no wind and the rabbit looked like it was about to hop into the cover, I gave the shot just under 2 mildots holdover, gently squeezed the trigger and bowled the rabbit right over. Such a clean kill, as soon as I heard the loud thud of the pellet hitting home, the rabbit just seized up and rolled over. Very pleased with these 177 JSB heavies, they are very accurate in my rifle and sure do hit hard. Strange thing was, there was not blood. I could feel the entry between the eye and ear and exit the other side and it's eyes had nearly popped out its head - but there was no blood whatsoever. I've had this before and they're usually the cleanest kills which don't even twitch. Think their systems must just stop instantly or something.

Later on, I laid in wait behind a riding fence, 32 yards from a group of rabbits I saw earlier. This smaller rabbit appeared a little further out and I ranged it at 42 yards. Just under 1 mildot hold over as per my target work, sent this one up into the air and down it came, nice clean kill. These JSB heavies are softer than the crosman premiers and as well as being very hard hitting, they caused a lot of damage to the vital area of this smaller one so that's another plus.

Over all - I was very pleased with the short hunting session and with the 177 jsb heavy 4.52 pellets - I highly recommend them. The BSA blue mag is lovely, smooth and cycles great, great system. The Webley bipod was very nice to use. The tilting feature is smooth and it feels very solid. The covered springs are quiet to use, so for £54 new - I'd say its worth it to. Plus you can fit a sling to it.

All in all, a good session and I'm off out tomorrow afternoon as well, hopefully for more of the same.

Happy hunting folks.

post-35560-0-41221300-1367014113_thumb.jpg

post-35560-0-32943600-1367015804_thumb.jpg