11 Month Old Bitch Refuses/scared To Retrieve Dummies ?? Help!!

Hi all , i'm writing this concerning my 11 month old golden retriever X coker bitch . Shes my first gundog and all was going brilliant until lately she refuses to retrieve any dummy, plain , covered with rabbit skin, pheasant skin etc... i've even just tried with a ball and she refuses . Soon as i throw the dummy and give command to retrieve she cowers down and runs back off to the house or if out back to my motor. Her training upto this was brilliant retrieving from launcher , dummies thrown or hidden. She even had few days picking up on my shoot over xmas and was brilliant. Whats gone wrong and were ? Can i fix this ? Or will she never do it again.

Any help would be great . PLease get back me , or if know anyone can talk to or see local let me know , i'm from County Durham.

Thanks Gazza

Firstly let me say that I never think of entering such a young dog to field shooting,she's still a puppy to all intents and purposes!When you introduced her to gunfire,did you do so gradually with a starting pistol at range and gradually get closer if no adverse reaction is noted?You should only ever introduce her to gunfire very gradually at distance until you are certain she is not getting any adverse reaction to the shot.I used to use a .410 after I was happy that the dog was ok with the starting pistol and then at at least a 100yds away and watch for reactions.I think she may well have developed a fear of shot and associates the retrieve with that and is blanking it?Not knowing or being able to see the actual animal this is what comes to my mind.I hope it is of some assistance.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply roebuck , but she's fine when she's out in the field with the gun and still retrieves rabbits and game when shot , she just refuses to retrieve any dummies or toys etc... and i'm wanting to continue her training with dummies . I'm lost have no idea :s

That stare is frightening me Gaz,.... :icon_eek:

Stop all training for two or three weeks,.just get out and about and let the young gal have her head...

Gain her confidence,.forget obedience, etc, etc,...and slowly and gently,..start again...

Best of luck,...Chalkwarren... :thumbs:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 2

haha sorry about that there lol .

And i see , i'll give that try . Today i tried her earlier this morning with ball , dummy, cold game and she just ran away scared a don't know if i've shouted at her to stop or leave at wrong time and put her off but i'll just have wait and see , hope all changes n get back to normal as she was one best dogs on my shoot for her age , gutted its all gone wrong . Going to see proffessional gundog trainer on friday to see what he thinks.

just a thought but now shes retrieved shot game etc she may just of cottoned on to what shes about i know of a good lab that took all her training very well but once she had a seasons shooting over her she looked at a dummy like it was a turd but drop a bird on land or water and she was back with it not a prob tho just a thought

This is caused because you have pushed a little hard, I have a 1 yr old and he is a regular on the shooting field but you have to be carefull, know the dog and progress at their pace, the theory is you start on a dummy get all the basics done then you introduce warm game. Once warm game has come in you open another ball game that is the ultimate goal, once you've had champagne you don't like cider. Once she got on a rabbit dummies are boring.

In your words youve shouted at her so where you have become anxious you have passed this on. This must stop.

Don't forget obedience as said above,put her on a lead and take for walks just stick to the normal sit stay issues with more praise when she does something right, and play, now the warmer weather is here spend some quality time sitting in a field playing, get some soft toys that have no stuffing in from pets at home, stab the squeak and tease her, make it fun put it in your hand and move your arm about in front of her and tease her, encourage her and if she chases use it for play throw it a foot or 2 away and by using a high voice in fun let her pick it up carry it and run around with it, when she brings it back don't take it make a sort of tug of war but dont fight just make out you are, sometimes take it and each time and when you do give it back, then use a ball and do the same and a sausage type toy as well, bring the fun back and let her be a pup again until she has built up her confidence. DO NOT throw and retrieve yet, get her carrying first, then bring it back but not for a while.

Really really really important, no deep voice only high pitched play voice telling her good girl, no shooting, walks yes, bit of bush work if she wants and take to places she would enjoy, wet woods with a stream. Keep her happy loads of praise. You are the most important thing in her life and you need to bring that back.

Good luck

• Like 1

i think philuk has hit the nail on the head & she has become bored with dummies etc as my cocker used to be like that would retrieve the 1st few dummies but would retrieve pigeons /pheasants etc all day long i didnt try changing her as she done the work i asked of her in the shooting field & thats all i needed of her -good luck mate -billy

Too much too soon. I think 14-18 months before any real pressure is applied. Even longer if your pup is on the soft side.

Philluk's advice is good! So, use that as your plan.

Especially like his advive on setting the pups mood during training. Try to remember, you want your puppy to be happy when training. If the pup seems flat, or training is not going well. Get the pup to follow a command, any command. Then praise her, alot and put her up for the day.

Have fun!

SIMPLY BORED TO MUCH TO SOON SHES NOT WANTING DUMMIES SHES WANTING THE REAL THING TAKE THE DUMMIES AWAY SIMPLE.

Why would you take dummies away?

How are you going to train and expand on her training?

So what your saying is give in and only let the dog do what she wants to do? Rather than spend time and encourage her back to dummies so you can continue training.

do your arithmetic your trying to do everything to quick and now the dogs comfused there like babies give the dog 15 minuites a day only and take her back to basics and praise her all the time if her tail goes between her legs stop the training try the next day its lost your trust guaranteed a young dog can sulk very quickly.