Does Anyone Use A Treadmill To Keep The Dog Fit

Each to their own, but If I had to rely on a treadmill to keep my dogs fit I wouldnt own them in the first place.

Totally agree , and lets not forget the best type of fitness for a working dog is working ....but im looking at it more of an aid along with walking, ball work, pool, biking ,etc etc

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as efficient and effective the modern tredmill is i would sooner be out on pushbike .........putting the miles in but that is just me ......

something i'd associate with bull terrier training. even then the owners tend to take the dog on a long walk prior to the mill and a walk after to cool down not saying its not beneficial but if done

What are you looking to get out of it?

I was offered a job with a greyhound trainer a few years back, he used a greyhound walker, road work, hydo pool as well as racing them on his own track... He had over 40dogs kenneled plus saplings... The average lurcher owner has no excuse to stick a dog on a treadmill

• Like 1

I was offered a job with a greyhound trainer a few years back, he used a greyhound walker, road work, hydo pool as well as racing them on his own track... He had over 40dogs kenneled plus saplings... The average lurcher owner has no excuse to stick a dog on a treadmill

Do you know every lurcher owners circumstances ?

I agree 100%

Dont know or care.
  • Like 1

Dont know or care.

I guessed that :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dont know or care.

I guessed that :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But then again what i consider to be the average lurcher owner may be different to what you think :laugh:

8dogs or less, the majority doing some kind of work with the odd oldie or pup thrown in the mix plus terrier/s

I may have only 3dogs now but ive kept up to 13mutts at one time over the years plus horses and livestock

Dont know or care.

well youd want to walk your dog for 2 hours a day now stop to get them are fit as a treadmill and i do both so dogs and built and fit so no excuse not to work 100%

Dont know or care.

well youd want to walk your dog for 2 hours a day now stop to get them are fit as a treadmill and i do both so dogs and built and fit so no excuse not to work 100%

Id easily do that, i walk 8miles round trip some days just to visit my neighbours, cycle 4miles most days with the dog as well.
:laugh:

Dont know or care.
But then again what i consider to be the average lurcher owner may be different to what you think :laugh:

8dogs or less, the majority doing some kind of work with the odd oldie or pup thrown in the mix plus terrier/s

I may have only 1 lurcher now but ive kept up to 13over the years plus horses and livestock

so what does that prove keeping loads of lurchers? :laugh::laugh::laugh: I can guarantee no more than 3 would of been working fit !!!!.....and by way you talk I doubt one was :laugh::laugh:

Edited by DEERMAN
  • Like 1

:laugh:

Dont know or care.

I may have only 1 lurcher now but ive kept up to 13over the years plus horses and livestock

so what does that prove keeping loads of lurchers? :laugh::laugh::laugh: I can guarantee no more than 3 would of been working fit !!!!.....and by way you talk I doubt one was :laugh::laugh:
Didnt say they were all lurchers... And they were all fit most of the time, they had to be. will be back later to read whatever other pish youve written, ive to see to my mutts

I've three lurchers ones an old dog who comes out just for a look more than anything and finding enough work for two fit young dogs an a plodder is hard to do round here if there's places in the country where u can find work for 8 or 9 dogs I'm ready to pack my bags

If you own an use one I don't see an issue with it as long as its part of your excercise routine not the only part,if you don't we'll you don't.

My partners lurcher had a cruciate op a while ago and flatly refused to use the leg which slowly started to waste away so I took her to hydro to get it going which thankfully it did but I'd have liked access to a mill for her to build that leg up in a controlled non distracting environment in addition to her lead walks considering we had to pay the 1k op ourselves as she's uninsurable.

So imo there are uses for these things but as I said as long as not solely to excercise your dog for you.

Say you spend a day ferreting a hedge, the dog walks a 100 yards from the car to the hedge then spends most of the rest of the day looking into a hedge,Is that enough excersise for a lamping dog.Not as far as im concerened thats why if i think it needs it i come back i put on walker for half hour.

I brought mine a few years ago when there was a hard frosts for a month or 2,All i would say to the lads who take there dogs serious,is its great when there not getting the work for any reason and it really puts the finishers on them when they are.

If you have the time to hunt one then come back and take the others for a hour on a bike 3 days a week dont buy one.

As i spend all my spare time hunting i dont,Plus the only time my dogs get road work is during the summer at 4-5 in the morning when there are no theiving eyes to see .

• Like 1