The Hare Situation

dai dogs.i think some of the younger lads on here will be very surprised .in a few years that thier urge to kill has died down.it comes to most of us .i remember reading about a man who would hunt anything phil drabble of pedigree unknown.as he got older he was more concerned with preservation.than with hunting

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As for leaving a dog behind,..well,..I've been in such a positions, a dozen or more times,... However, as anyone, who has walked out with me, will attest....I would never countenance doing such a thi

no matter what happened I wouldn't be leaving my dog behing I'd rather get a beating off the keepers or farmer, no proper dog man would leave a dog

I always think it's ironic how some owners expect their dog to go beyond the call of duty for them and yet the expectation isn't reciprocated.   A true lurcherman always has a lurcher, if there's no

craigluckyjihad.im glad to read you got plenty of hares.being a old fogey i only like my home ground. only time i went courseing on strange ground got chased in the eighties brockett hall and had to leave a dog behind .

craigluckyjihad.im glad to read you got plenty of hares.being a old fogey i only like my home ground. only time i went courseing on strange ground got chased in the eighties brockett hall and had to leave a dog behind .

no matter what happened I wouldn't be leaving my dog behing I'd rather get a beating off the keepers or farmer, no proper dog man would leave a dog

running addiction.i had been done for hares several times before that plus deer poaching and i did not fancy some more porridge.my freedom is worth more than that .besides which .i didnt think the dog was going to make the grade .it gets very cold in stafford in the winter especially when all of the windows have been knocked out

Why would you leave a dog behind not man enough to face what you have done shouldnt do it if you cant handle it simple as

Easy to criticise lads - like to think I wouldn't have left a dog - but if you have 'previous' on a large scale and are looking at a lengthy stretch - none of us truly know how we'd react...in the spur of the moment when the shit its the fan,,, :thumbs:

its like the saying if you cant handle the time dont do the crime simple as :yes::thumbs:

• Like 3

dai dogs.i think some of the younger lads on here will be very surprised .in a few years that thier urge to kill has died down.it comes to most of us .i remember reading about a man who would hunt anything phil drabble of pedigree unknown.as he got older he was more concerned with preservation.than with hunting

I also remember reading phil drabbles books...Some lads like to prove a point. I was once one of them lads. As iv grown older i no longer have the desire to pursue or destroy the brown hare .

Respect comes with age MAYBE

theres never been many hares round here, and 15 years ago you would barely see any. one of the local farmers set up a shoot about that time, and the hares have come from nowhere. you can guarantee to see some on that land any time now. the main things which have changed there are cover crops through the winter, and control of foxes. another estate i know laid off their pest controller/game keeper, and what used to be a healthy hare population has dwindled away. the foxes have rocketed though. i think foxes are a major facor in hare numbers in some places, i think they tcan take heavy numbers of leverets

• Like 3

running addiction.i had been done for hares several times before that plus deer poaching and i did not fancy some more porridge.my freedom is worth more than that .besides which .i didnt think the dog was going to make the grade .it gets very cold in stafford in the winter especially when all of the windows have been knocked out

Eh, you aint doin it right pal, bin at it 50 odd years, done all game, never copt yet

• Like 1

Some hares get no rest bite. Night and day, summer and winter dogs trebled up. Local to me I have notice steadily decline in the last 17 years. now on some bits they are gone and won't make a return. Best numbers round here are on keepered ground . I am glad someone is looking after them for me lol

:hmm: As for leaving a dog behind,..well,..I've been in such a positions, a dozen or more times,...

However, as anyone, who has walked out with me, will attest....I would never countenance doing such a thing,... :nono:

I would never desert,.. a fellow hunting man either ..

But,..that is just me,.each to there own... :yes:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 10

iworkwhippets. hardly a deer or hare dog are they .more of a ferreters or a sunday walkers dog.when you go on woburn estate or rothschilds its not as easy as courseing on farmer browns field.the reason the hares were there in very large numbers is because it was full of gamekeepers.now the game keepers have gone so have the hares.the best hare grounds are nearly allways protected.brockett hall was also gamekeeper land which my friend failed to mention.unless of course you are the invisible man .if you course keeperd ground in the end you will get caught .if you lamp it at 3 in the morning you might get away with it after pheashant season .or if you longnet it you probaly would never get caught.any one who says they have never been chased or caught are either very lucky or they are .going on safe land .with any throw of the dice the house eventualy wins

• Like 1

:yes:If you walk the walk,.in a serious way, and freelance on the best and most juicy places,...you up the odds of a pull....There is no way, that you can avoid being captured,.. forever...and mathematically,.the more mouching you do,..the higher the risk of walking into trouble..

Personaly,.I feel that life, is far too short and I'll run my dogs, as and when,..while I still can :thumbs:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 3

Coursed many keepers ground in my time pal, Holcombe being one of em, late 1950s, day and night, lurchers i ran then, and was my closest experience of being copt, i could sit here and tell some outstanding tales of my experiences in the field, and still at it with my humble whippet, not the invisible man, just good at what i do, my secret, is always work alone, and always will, and in all that time, ive never, and never will leave a dog of mine behind, its in the blood, you either have it, or you dont

• Like 2